Initial Impressions Of My New '14 C63C AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 11:24 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'17 MB G63 AMG
Initial Impressions Of My New '14 C63C AMG

Greetings all,

I've had the chance to drive my new MB for one week. Having previously owned a pre-LCI C63 AMG (2011 MY), I couldn't help but compare the two. What follows are my sincere & honest observations/impressions of my new C63C vis-a-vis my former '11 C63 AMG.

I noticed that the newer MCT tranny feels lazy/slow to engage gears when traveling at slow speeds, i.e., when first moving and backing out of a parking space. Is it my imagination, or does it feel like it takes seconds before the tranny engages its gear? I engage the approp gear, step on the gas, then nothing. I have to wait until the gear engages, then I have to deal with a slight jerk b/4 the car finally slips into gear and moves on. Has anyone else experienced this?

I also noticed that when backing up a hill, I really have to step on the gas pedal in order to get the car moving backwards. I noticed I really have to press on the accelerator pedal in order to get the car to move on... Has anyone else noticed this, too?

I don't recall any of the above observations with my former '11 C63 that had the older 7 G-Tronic tranny.

I think the '11's steering wheel was fatter/thicker and slightly smaller in diameter. I think I liked the '11's steering wheel better too...

Outside of the few observations noted supra, I really like the design and style of the Coupe over the Sedan. The doors on the Coupe are long!

The sliding moonroof on the Coupe is pretty cool, but I can already tell that on a very hot and sunny day, the thin mesh moonroof cover will not suffice. You can feel heat/sun radiating from the glass moonroof of the Coupe. Keeping it real, frankly, I would have preferred the sunroof over the glass moonroof. Weight, complexity, and an increased concern for squeaks has me skeptical with the large glass moonroof in the long term...

The stereo sounds lounder/clearer/richer in the new Coupe. I wonder if the perception is caused by the placement of speakers in the Coupe?

I prefer the Coupe seats over the Sedan seats. My back/lats appreciate the wider seats on the Coupe. If I decided to race my new Coupe (I won't), I'd probably want the tighter seats from the Sedans...

Something else I noticed. When starting the car (keyless go), there is a pause upon pressing the START button b/4 the car fires up. This pause didn't exist in my '11 C63. Has anyone else noticed this on their C63s?

As I proof my thread, it would appear that I have a few issues with my new C63. I don't, I'm just comparing my initial observations with the fond memories I had of my '11 C63. I suppose I was somewhat surprised by how similar these two cars are, yet, I find them to have different/unique nuances if I'm being totally honest with myself...

At the end of the day, I suppose I'm hoping that my new car is just very "tight" and that time will smooth out my new car's computer "nervous system."

Best/Cheers,

B
Old 04-07-2014, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 Estate
Good write up.

Your like me. I pickup on the littlest differences in cars...

Can you compare any other quirks?
Old 04-07-2014, 01:50 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
2014 C63 AMG Edition 507
I too have noticed some of your observations.

What I do is feather/pump the pedal when backing.

My response to the changes has been to adapt to the vehicle's characteristics rather than try and drive it like my 2010.

Last edited by Chemical7; 04-07-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe it's because of the clutch based transmission. It's normal.

I've driven cars with DCT and they feel the same.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'16 GTS Solar
Originally Posted by Chemical7
I too have noticed some of your observations.

What I do is feather/pump the pedal when backing.

My response to the changes has been to adapt to the vehicles characteristics rather than try and drive it like my 2010.
Coming from a 2009 C63 to a 2012 C63 coupe, I've done the same thing. It's a little annoying because the throttle response seems laggy but I've learned to compensate. The MCT is far more responsive at speed and on the highway...the low speed lurching is a little annoying though, particularly in S or S+.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Dodge Viper GTC, 2014 C63 AMG (gone), 2014 GL450
I definitely noticed the gear engagement lag from R to D. I thought it might have something to do with the MCT having to go from R2 to D2 when in C mode (no Star Wars pun intended). It freaked me out the first time because I pushed the gas pedal and nothing happened then a big clunk and it went in gear. I was afraid I might've broken something, but all seems well. Now I just wait until it starts to gently move forward on its own before I push the gas pedal. Other than that and a few other minor things, it's an awesome beast. Congrats. Enjoy!