C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

ATTN FOLKS with HEADBOLT FAILURE - FILE A COMPLIANT WITH NHTSA!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 09:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Exclamation ATTN FOLKS with HEADBOLT FAILURE - FILE A COMPLIANT WITH NHTSA!!!

All the folks who have experienced the headbolt failure, please file a complaint with NHTSA. Aside from the cost of the repair, this is first and foremost a safety issue. Mercedes-Benz has consciously chosen to put all of the owners at risk and financial burden to avoid a costly recall and they are counting we are not going to voice our concerns short of complaining at the dealership. Let's prove them wrong and keep them accountable!

Please file a complaint even if it was a warranty repair, either way it is a safety issue.

Here are the guidelines for the complaint I put together to make sure it is as effective as possible:
  1. Include the correct vehicle, owner and address information.
  2. Describe in detail the nature of the issue.
  3. Describe in detail how the failure happened.
  4. Indicate that it is a safety issue that could have resulted in engine hydro-locking and a crash (if it has not) had you been driving faster.
  5. Describe in detail Mercedes-Benz response. DO NOT focus on the warranty and the cost of the repair, focus on the SAFETY aspect instead.
  6. DO NOT mention this thread or the forum. Mercedes-Benz has a known habit of saying that it is "an online campaign started by competitors to discredit Mercedes-Benz brand"

The Complaint Form https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml

Based on what I have seen NHTSA start an investigation once they receive 30-40 complains on the same issue.

Please file a complaint only if your vehicle has actually experienced the failure! Last thing we want is to flood NHTSA with frivolous complains and give Mercedes an excuse to ignore the issue.

Last edited by andy_c63; 04-15-2014 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
This is great. It pisses me off that a brand like MBUSA has ignored their failure to engineer properly. About time someone stands up and gets this going. I haven't experienced it yet, but it does cause me concern since I have a 09 in the effected range.

It's BS that other car companies...like Mazda with their spider fuel tank issue...take care of their customers when they pay far less for their vehicles. MBUSA lost a lot of respect from me because of this reason....just my .02

Anyhow, hope this thread is successful!
Old 04-11-2014, 10:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
good god let this die people. yes this low coolant warning lamp is sooooo dangerous. it was so distracting when it lit up and told me to add some coolant. I almost lost control but i can text while driving no problem
Old 04-11-2014, 10:18 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by roadtalontsi
good god let this die people. yes this low coolant warning lamp is sooooo dangerous. it was so distracting when it lit up and told me to add some coolant. I almost lost control but i can text while driving no problem
Has this happened to you? Has your engine hydro-locked when you were driving on a highway? Do you happen do work for Mercedes-Benz?
Old 04-11-2014, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Quite frankly, I think we need to approach this in any manner we can...since MBUSA failed to handle it properly. It sucks because having AMG cars means a lot of us weren't able to extend warranty. Most of these companies don't cover AMG vehicles...
Old 04-11-2014, 11:34 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
Yes please.
Old 04-12-2014, 02:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by CPD SLK
Quite frankly, I think we need to approach this in any manner we can...since MBUSA failed to handle it properly. It sucks because having AMG cars means a lot of us weren't able to extend warranty. Most of these companies don't cover AMG vehicles...
This just came out today. Actually it reads just about right if you make one substitution for the bolded, lol.

(Reuters) - German carmaker BMW (BMWG.DE) said it would voluntarily recall more than 156,000 vehicles in the United States, including its popular 3 Series compact sedan, to check for potentially defective bolts that could lead to engine damage.

BMW said it would check whether bolts holding a certain component in vehicles with six-cylinder engines were prone to loosening or breaking.

The vehicles, which also include the Series 5 and the Z4 sports cars, are from model years 2010 to 2012, the company said in an email.

BMW had recalled 232,000 imported and locally produced cars in China earlier this month for the same reason.

The company said in an email on Thursday that vehicles would be checked to see if the bolts holding the variable camshaft timing (VANOS) unit were prone to loosening, or in extreme cases, breaking.

Drivers of potentially affected vehicles may continue to drive their vehicles, but if they see warnings like "check engine" or "service engine soon", they should immediately contact their nearest authorized BMW center, the company said.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:16 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Audi A5 6MT, C63 AMG
I wish all owners affected and not just those who have had a failure could chime in and contribute towards the petition. there has to be significant pressure to force recalls.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63
Attn Folks with headbolt failure

I've been wondering if this potential problems is the reason for a decrease in power and increase in mpg.
Not long after we bought our 11 C63 we got a call etc to bring bacck our car, for something that didn't make sense, and the would detail it free.
It is still strong but nothing like the beast when new. I've been wondering if they detuned it.
Was this one of the strategies to deal with head bolt stretch and gasket failure?
Old 04-12-2014, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Tinbucket
I've been wondering if this potential problems is the reason for a decrease in power and increase in mpg.
Not long after we bought our 11 C63 we got a call etc to bring bacck our car, for something that didn't make sense, and the would detail it free.
It is still strong but nothing like the beast when new. I've been wondering if they detuned it.
Was this one of the strategies to deal with head bolt stretch and gasket failure?

Would not happen.
Old 04-12-2014, 11:36 PM

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
08 E63 AMG P30, 2013 S550, 09 E63, 14 E63 S Wagon, 14 E350 Wagon(current), 13 C63 P31 (current)
I am just curious. Are there symptoms before this happens? How to avoid?
Old 04-13-2014, 01:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
symptoms are coolant consumption without any leakage. In very rare instances it a few headbolts go at once and hydro-lock a cylinder bending a rod. Keep in mind all of these failures are rare and it's blown way out of proportion. My car has the original bolts..... 30k miles, a SUPERCHARGER on them for 18k miles of them. That puts extreme pressure boosting a 11.3:1 compression ratio engine. how is my engine still together?
Old 04-13-2014, 03:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
symptoms are coolant consumption without any leakage. In very rare instances it a few headbolts go at once and hydro-lock a cylinder bending a rod. Keep in mind all of these failures are rare and it's blown way out of proportion. My car has the original bolts..... 30k miles, a SUPERCHARGER on them for 18k miles of them. That puts extreme pressure boosting a 11.3:1 compression ratio engine. how is my engine still together?
Patience Padawan, give it a little more time.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:15 PM

09 c63 p30 mars red
I just got my 2009 back with updated headbolts & valve buckets replaced under my CPO warranty that was a week from expiring! I took the car in for a CEL that turned out to be a fuel pressure sensor. When I checked in the car I told the SA that I had to add coolant a couple of months ago and I was very concerned about headbolt failure. He said he had heard of it but never seen it. I told him I want the bolts checked and I wanted him to document my concern while the car was still under warranty. That night I forwarded the SA and service manager the links to the sticky about headbolts on this site and this one http://www.marcusfitzhugh.com/CLK/63.html
To my surpise he called a couple of days later and said they were going to do the upgrade under the warranty!
There is much less engine noise in the engine compartment and is running great!
I believe with all the recall hype in the news today MB doesn't want any bad press so it may be a good time to put some pressure on your dealership to get it approved by MB. Hope this helps ---

Last edited by jim07; 04-13-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:14 PM

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
08 E63 AMG P30, 2013 S550, 09 E63, 14 E63 S Wagon, 14 E350 Wagon(current), 13 C63 P31 (current)
Wow. I am glad that u had them look into it. Always document document document. Good work sir. And yes seems as if merc doesnt like to do recalls...of even its a glaring issue...
Old 04-13-2014, 05:59 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Audi A5 6MT, C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jim07
I just got my 2009 back with updated headbolts & valve buckets replaced under my CPO warranty that was a week from expiring! I took the car in for a CEL that turned out to be a fuel pressure sensor. When I checked in the car I told the SA that I had to add coolant a couple of months ago and I was very concerned about headbolt failure. He said he had heard of it but never seen it. I told him I want the bolts checked and I wanted him to document my concern while the car was still under warranty. That night I forwarded the SA and service manager the links to the sticky about headbolts on this site and this one http://www.marcusfitzhugh.com/CLK/63.html
To my surpise he called a couple of days later and said they were going to do the upgrade under the warranty!
There is much less engine noise in the engine compartment and is running great!
I believe with all the recall hype in the news today MB doesn't want any bad press so it may be a good time to put some pressure on your dealership to get it approved by MB. Hope this helps ---
thats good to know. so basically you got it changed without even encountering the failure.
I spoke to my SA few days ago and he said my headbolts need to fail for them to fix.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:05 PM

09 c63 p30 mars red
Wink

Originally Posted by Sidv22
thats good to know. so basically you got it changed without even encountering the failure.
I spoke to my SA few days ago and he said my headbolts need to fail for them to fix.
You had to add coolant with no external leaks, right??-----

Last edited by jim07; 04-13-2014 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:19 AM

2009 C63 AMG
Guys, come on, file your reports as soon as possible!!!

Do a search on NHTSA, you will see that there is a very good chance there is going to be a recall on C63 due to rear light assembly failure because 21 owners found 10 minutes to file a report. BUT we are going to let Mercedes get away with the headbolt failure??

Subject : Loss of rear lighting assembly
Date Investigation Opened: DEC 20, 2013
Date Investigation Closed: Open
NHTSA Action Number: EA13008
Component(s): ELECTRICAL SYSTEM , EXTERIOR LIGHTING

Manufacturer: Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC.

SUMMARY:

ODI initially received 21 reports of rear light assembly failure due to a melted electrical connector or housing. Since opening the initial investigation ODI has received a total of 114 complaints reflecting an ongoing and increasing trend. In each report, one or both rear light assemblies fail completely (i.e., all lights housed within the assembly extinguish, including the stop, tail, and turn signal functions) when the electrical ground connection is compromised as a result of high resistance and subsequent thermal over-heating. According to Mercedes-Benz, the over-heating of the ground wire is caused by corrosion between the connectors in the ground circuit to the tail light. ODI is aware of a total of 5 reports alleging fire including one injury allegation as a result of this issue. Analysis of subject vehicle complaint data indicates an increased likelihood of failure as the vehicles age. The Preliminary Evaluation (PE13-026) has been upgraded to an Engineering Analysis to further assess the risks and frequency resulting from failure of rear lighting assemblies in the subject vehicles.
You also see the list of related documents and communication between NHTSA and Mercedes.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Originally Posted by jim07
You had to add coolant with no external leaks, right??-----
this is a real question and not a "don't worry about it" statement...merely having to add coolant without any external leaks doesn't necessarily mean head bolts have failed, does it? I searched google and someone had suggested there that coolant does evaporate somewhat so you will need to add some occasionally even without a leak. I don't quite understand how that can happen if the block is sealed, though.

Last edited by m a x i m u s; 04-14-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
I have zero eternal leaks (that I know of) and had to add coolant a little while back. Light hasn't come back on since. Hope it never does!
Old 04-14-2014, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Knowing the potential of the issue, I wouldn't rely on the pre-changeover bolts with a blower. You are walking a fine line there.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Sincity
Knowing the potential of the issue, I wouldn't rely on the pre-changeover bolts with a blower. You are walking a fine line there.
The wild card is the difference in levels of corrosion amongst head bolts, even those taken from the same engine. The head bolts I had that were taken from a M156 that suffered head gasket failure were deeply pitted and otherwise extremely corroded. I wouldn't give a plugged nickel for the chances of an engine with bolts like that staying together over time.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:09 PM

09 c63 p30 mars red
If I didn't have coolant loss I wouldn't have pressed the issue. A sealed system should not loose coolant. If you have lost coolant you should pressure MB to replace the headbolts and tappets.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Keep in mind, you must be a US resident to file a report with NHTSA.

NHTSA has to investigate every single complaint they get, that does not mean a recall will occur. It varies, and is heavily dependent on the situation, the problem, and how the manufacturer has responded in the past.

Just keep this in mind. However, with the current GM fiasco, NHTSA is being pounded by congress just as much as GM, so they will probably react differently now.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:45 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
Keep in mind, you must be a US resident to file a report with NHTSA.

NHTSA has to investigate every single complaint they get, that does not mean a recall will occur. It varies, and is heavily dependent on the situation, the problem, and how the manufacturer has responded in the past.

Just keep this in mind. However, with the current GM fiasco, NHTSA is being pounded by congress just as much as GM, so they will probably react differently now.
NHTSA does not investigate every single complaint they get, only if they see a trend. This is why it is very important that every affected owner files a compliant.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/RecallProcess

If you think your vehicle or equipment may have a safety defect, reporting it to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is an important first step to take to get the situation remedied and make our roads safer. If the agency receives similar reports from a number of people about the same product, this could indicate that a safety-related defect may exist that would warrant the opening of an investigation.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ATTN FOLKS with HEADBOLT FAILURE - FILE A COMPLIANT WITH NHTSA!!!