C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

CF Mirror Covers

Old 05-04-2014, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
This and that.
CF Mirror Covers

So I foolishly installed these covers on my car a couple of weeks ago and don't really like how they look. Plus they didn't fit too well and I see some white bits underneath the covers from the edges as my car is white.

I tried to remove them but they are on way too tight cause I guess I used an extra strength double sided tape. I had to double up the tape because first it wasn't sticking to the mirror, so I thought perhaps it's just not able to make contact with the base of the mirror. So after doubling it, sure enough it made contact but now looks horrible as it doesn't sit flush with the mirror at all.

It sits a little high and does not fit that well. So anyway, my question is how do I remove it? On the tape cover, it said extra strength and may damage the things it's on when being removed and it seems like a moulding tape for house stuff and not auto parts. lol. I have 3M clear shield installed on the mirrors underneath it so I don't think the mirror paint will itself be effected.

But I want to remove it without causing any damage, any ideas? I sprayed Goog Gone on it and tried to pull them off but they wouldn't budge and my fingers started to hurt. Also, where can I get the proper CF side mirror replacement instead of just the covers? Is the installation easy if you were to do it yourself?

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 05-04-2014, 01:28 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ml55, Ml63, Porsche, C63S ED1
pics pls
Old 05-04-2014, 01:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
I will try to take some pics later today. It's really irking me thinking about it as I think I have slight ODD when it comes to cars. lol
Old 05-04-2014, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Received 505 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Use a teflon dental floss like Glide. It can be found at your local pharmacy. First, use a blow dryer to warm the mirror covers and underlying tape. Then run the floss between the housing and mirror cover and slowly and gently saw it back and forth cutting through the tape.
Old 05-04-2014, 02:06 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
Heat them up and pull them off starting at an edge
Once the tape starts to give they pop right off
Don't be shy get some back into it
Old 05-04-2014, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
Thanks for the suggestion guys. Now that I recall when I debadged my 350Z back in the day, I used fishing line to saw them out as well. Will try the suggestions.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black C63 507 Coupe
Originally Posted by Rock
Use a teflon dental floss like Glide. It can be found at your local pharmacy. First, use a blow dryer to warm the mirror covers and underlying tape. Then run the floss between the housing and mirror cover and slowly and gently saw it back and forth cutting through the tape.

This is the method I would recommend.