ROW Air Boxes (only) Gain?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
ROW Air Boxes (only) Gain?

If I already have K&N's what additional gain can be expected from just adding ROW's to the mix?
Old 05-13-2014, 12:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 P31 AMG
Originally Posted by Autosport7
If I already have K&N's what additional gain can be expected from just adding ROW's to the mix?
+5 to 7hp? It's the restrictive charcoal element and plenum inside the US oem airbox which these boxes do not have.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 Barolo red C63 AMG (SOLD).13' P31 c63 coupe 2012 porsche panamera
Originally Posted by SROC276
+5 to 7hp? It's the restrictive charcoal element and plenum inside the US oem airbox which these boxes do not have.
Also the diameter is larger on the ROW.
Old 05-13-2014, 05:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Awesome thanks guys.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dreams
these would work as a direct drop-in replacement for US airboxes w/o any CEL's or anything right?
Old 05-13-2014, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 Barolo red C63 AMG (SOLD).13' P31 c63 coupe 2012 porsche panamera
Originally Posted by dcho
these would work as a direct drop-in replacement for US airboxes w/o any CEL's or anything right?
Correct
Old 05-13-2014, 11:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
This and that.
Hey Autosport do you have any affiliation with ROWW? Reach out World Wide? Wasn't that Paul Walker's charity?
Old 05-13-2014, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by papashango
Hey Autosport do you have any affiliation with ROWW? Reach out World Wide? Wasn't that Paul Walker's charity?
Yes it is, and I have no affiliation. Just promised some people I would help get awareness out.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Not so sure about real HP gains with ROW airboxes.
I don't think there are any dynos proving that. But what you are gaining for sure is a nicer exhaust sound.
Now maybe if you combine several bolt-on mods with the ROW airboxes you will see some real gains.
Old 05-13-2014, 02:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ml55, Ml63, Porsche, C63S ED1
Originally Posted by abcut973
Not so sure about real HP gains with ROW airboxes.
I don't think there are any dynos proving that. But what you are gaining for sure is a nicer exhaust sound.
Now maybe if you combine several bolt-on mods with the ROW airboxes you will see some real gains.
the diff in diameter between the ROW and the US spec box is similar to that of the difference some people do in throttle body port and polishing. I wouldn't say the gains would be as much since the throttle body is the final bottle neck for intake tract, but at least you eliminate a potential bottleneck on the run.
Old 05-13-2014, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
This and that.
Yes it is, and I have no affiliation. Just promised some people I would help get awareness out.

Nice it's a good deed! I don't mind including it in my sig either so if you'd like feel free to PM me the coding or whatever else it is and I will put it in my sig as well.

/end thread derailment
Old 05-13-2014, 07:09 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS63S
ROW by itself, next to nothing.
ROW with high flow filters, debatable.
ROW with Tune, filters, maybe 5-8hp.
ROW with tune, long tubes, filters, maybe 10-15hp.
Old 05-13-2014, 08:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by johnnyblaze
ROW by itself, next to nothing.
ROW with high flow filters, debatable.
ROW with Tune, filters, maybe 5-8hp.
ROW with tune, long tubes, filters, maybe 10-15hp.
Are these all guesses or are you pretty certain on this? I only ask because you say "maybe".
Old 05-13-2014, 09:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
Are these all guesses or are you pretty certain on this? I only ask because you say "maybe".
Let me try and help.
Back in 2010 we did a test on the dragstrip.
We compared
stock air boxes with high flow filter
vs
Carbonio cf air boxes with high flow filters

Carbonio air boxes are open just as much as the ROW air box.

results exactly the same no gains no losses.

Now any air box with the addition of the ram intake the cf ones that ravosport and someone else makes .
This drop our times by .15 to .20 tenths .

Last edited by mthis; 05-13-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by mthis
Let me try and help.
Back in 2010 we did a test on the dragstrip.
We compared
stock air boxes with high flow filter
vs
Carbonio cf air boxes with high flow filters

Carbonio air boxes are open just as much as the ROW air box.

results exactly the same no gains no losses.

Now any air box with the addition of the ram intake the cf ones that ravosport and someone else makes .
This drop our times by .15 to .20 tenths .
This is good information.
What were your supporting mods at the time of your test and tune track day? Tune, Headers, Pulley, Etc...?
At the end of the day, a dyno may show a gain of 3-5hp, but if it isn't noticeable when put to the ground, or at the track in your case, then it is a moot point imho.
The other topic would be, how good was the driver? Were his runs exactly the same every time? Were the temps and barometric pressures and every other friggen factor holding constant throughout the day? Was the exact same amount of fuel in the car during every run (weight), prob not that big of a deal? Lots of factors that come into play for these test and tunes.

Last edited by Autosport7; 05-14-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
What I am concluding is that AMG, when they designed/built this car, did a banged up job with it, as it seems that no aftermarket intake, thus far, is better than oem.
IMHO I think to install any aftermarket boxes would be a waste of cash whether it be $300 ROW's or $2000 cf ram style.

Now if I could just get my damn hands on a pulley!
Talking with Steve, it doesn't appear Weistec will be offering one anytime soon. RennTech doesn't make it. Evosport, unless you find a used one is out...
EC, hurry the hell up lol!!! This thing better show at least 12 to the wheels or I am going to be disappointed.

Last edited by Autosport7; 05-14-2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anything W/4Wheels
This is good information.
What were your supporting mods at the time of your test and tune track day? Tune, Headers, Pulley, Etc...?
At the end of the day, a dyno may show a gain of 3-5hp, but if it isn't noticeable when put to the ground, or at the track in your case, then it is a moot point imho.
The other topic would be, how good was the driver? Were his runs exactly the same every time? Were the temps and barometric pressures and every other friggen factor holding constant throughout the day? Was the exact same amount of fuel in the car during every run (weight), prob not that big of a deal? Lots of factors that come into play for these test and tunes.
Ty
The mods were tune headers and drag radials
Mhp tune and headers
Drive was me and it was my car, I have over 1000 1/4 passes between my car and dodger63s car so I'm very consistent at the strip.
What I did was I ran my stock air boxes and did multiple passes and then changed to Carbonio and did multiple passes . Had both air boxes on hand at same track day same time almost just min apart. And who knows the c63 on the track they know it get faster as u make more passes but in this case it didn't and that let to the conclusion that they worthless but I still have them lol .
Old 05-14-2014, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Anything W/4Wheels
What I am concluding is that AMG, when they designed/built this car, did a banged up job with it, as it seems that no aftermarket intake, thus far, is better than oem.
IMHO I think to install any aftermarket boxes would be a waste of cash whether it be $300 ROW's or $2000 cf ram style.

Now if I could just get my damn hands on a pulley!
Talking with Steve, it doesn't appear Weistec will be offering one anytime soon. RennTech doesn't make it. Evosport, unless you find a used one is out...
EC, hurry the hell up lol!!! This thing better show at least 12 to the wheels or I am going to be disappointed.
Removing the charcoal filter will get u some power and the ram air system u can get a knock off on ebay and that works really good .
Old 05-14-2014, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Ty
The mods were tune headers and drag radials
Mhp tune and headers
Drive was me and it was my car, I have over 1000 1/4 passes between my car and dodger63s car so I'm very consistent at the strip.
What I did was I ran my stock air boxes and did multiple passes and then changed to Carbonio and did multiple passes . Had both air boxes on hand at same track day same time almost just min apart. And who knows the c63 on the track they know it get faster as u make more passes but in this case it didn't and that let to the conclusion that they worthless but I still have them lol .
Removing the charcoal filter will get u some power and the ram air system u can get a knock off on ebay and that works really good .
All good stuff.
Thanks for all your input.