C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

dealership error causes big mess

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2014, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG Coupe
dealership error causes big mess

so i get a call from my dealership saying my car is ready for pick up, just having done the 10,000 mile service. i get there and pick it up. i turn it on and nothing seems to be different, until I'm driving down the highway and smoke starts coming out the engine. i quickly pull over when i find enough space on the shoulder of the highway, as i open the hood i come to this horrific scene.
http://postimg.org/image/pct1fdfbp/
Old 05-21-2014, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Looks like they left the oil cap off? My dealer did that to my car too. They have a bunch of ****ing idiots working at the dealers. They had to clean the entire engine bay and reorder a new engine cover and stuff. Morons.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:58 PM

C63 AMG Coupe
thats what it looked like when i opened it, they left the cap on top, didn't even bother to put it on.
the a bunch of bone heads, need me a new car honestly

image post
Old 05-21-2014, 10:05 PM

C63 AMG Coupe
before the incident

greenshot
Old 05-21-2014, 10:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C63 2016 AMG GT S
Originally Posted by Leonard roccamo
so i get a call from my dealership saying my car is ready for pick up, just having done the 10,000 mile service. i get there and pick it up. i turn it on and nothing seems to be different, until I'm driving down the highway and smoke starts coming out the engine. i quickly pull over when i find enough space on the shoulder of the highway, as i open the hood i come to this horrific scene.
http://postimg.org/image/pct1fdfbp/

What dealer in Mass? I am in Mass also and want to avoid that one.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:21 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2011 C300 4Matic Sport
They leave a oil cap off an engine, yet they can void our warranty even for the slightest modification, such as a front grill exchange....
Old 05-21-2014, 10:23 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
C300 Sport
In MA too. What dealership?
Old 05-21-2014, 10:28 PM

C63 AMG Coupe
in hartford CT new country motors
im in springfield mass tho. i left it there today since service was already closed
Old 05-21-2014, 10:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E89 Z4
Did the low oil pressure warning come on?
Old 05-22-2014, 01:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Make sure they replace the air box (make them get you a ROW air box too) and and give you some service credit towards your next service. That is BS. I was so pissed when that happened to my baby.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Time to learn to change your own oil.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:01 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 C63S coupe '09 C63, '15 Durango RT, '14 Jeep SRT8
Originally Posted by Merc63
Time to learn to change your own oil.
+1. Sometimes I'm not even sure what they put in my car. I prefer to do it myself. Do you guys use anything to clean it or just drain the oil and fill it back up?
Old 05-22-2014, 03:04 AM

C63 P31
Wow, what type of employees are they hiring? Even an amateur car owner wouldn't forget something as simple as that. Would be furious if this happened to my car, make sure you get your compensation!
Old 05-22-2014, 07:00 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
That's horrible. The mess is one thing but I wonder how much oil you lost and if your engine was running on low oil at any point. See what they offer you and it better be substantial. It's ridiculous that this happened, as anyone who has ever changed oil knows it's the last thing you ALWAYS do is to make sure the friggin' cap is back on. BONEHEADS.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:31 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
Call MBUSA and send them a pic.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
W211
Similar happened when my valve cover gaskets were being replaced. Got the call, car is ready. 45min later and a few minutes from dealer, get a call from SA saying there was a problem. Tech started up the car and defective valve cover gasket caused oil to shoot all over the engine when car was started up. My take was Tech error and that the gasket wasnt pressed into the grooves all the way and/or the screws werent torqued to spec.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
To the guys who take their babies into the dealer for oil changes, do you not realize that the guy doing the oil change is usually not even a certified technician, meaning he does not hold a valid license. This is how dealerships make money with this perception that your car is being worked on by a MB certified technician, complete BS. Same for diff oil changes and usually trans I hate to use the word(flush) when oil and filter change is appropriate, this is left to the kid who works there after school or dreams of being a mechanic. A good friend of mine had a son doing this, honestly would not let him check the oil in a lawnmower let along change it. Wise up guys, do you actually know what oil the moron is putting into your car, not likely because he doesn't know what your car takes, just how many AMG do you think he has ever worked on HMMM!
Old 05-22-2014, 01:59 PM

C63 ///AMG P30
^^ exactly. Simple maintenance such as this, they get kids from the street. But I also never trust dealers to work on any of my cars unless it's under warranty
Old 05-22-2014, 02:03 PM

C63 ///AMG P30
Originally Posted by novae500
Similar happened when my valve cover gaskets were being replaced. Got the call, car is ready. 45min later and a few minutes from dealer, get a call from SA saying there was a problem. Tech started up the car and defective valve cover gasket caused oil to shoot all over the engine when car was started up. My take was Tech error and that the gasket wasnt pressed into the grooves all the way and/or the screws werent torqued to spec.
What dealer did you go too?
Old 05-22-2014, 02:19 PM

2017 Dodge Viper GTC, 2014 C63 AMG (gone), 2014 GL450
OK, now this worries me. I was given 2 years of prepaid service when I bought mine, but now I'm worried about them just changing the oil. My dealer did change the LSD fluid and it's been OK for 5k miles or so. I'm not sure how to make sure they put the right oil in it. Sure I can specify, but how do I really know? Maybe I'll do a mid-cycle 5k change myself just to be safe.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
I understand the frustration behind this and I am not backing them up at all as this is complete negligence on behalf of the individual who left the cap off.
Having said that, you guys are making it seem as though they blew his car up. This was an oversight by the service technician who was probably in a hurry to move onto the next project to get it done for the customer asap.
I wouldn't be so hard on someone for a minor mishap such as this. It could be far worse! Make them clean it, get a discount off the service and move on.
And those who are asking what dealer it is to avoid them, I suggest going there actually. I bet this event will be fresh in their mind for the next few months so the odds of it happening in that time frame are slim to none.
Where I would be staying away from are the dealers who haven't had any mishaps recently.
OP I am sorry to hear of your misfortunes, but I have heard far worse horror stories tbh.

Good luck.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by Autosport7
I understand the frustration behind this and I am not backing them up at all as this is complete negligence on behalf of the individual who left the cap off.
Having said that, you guys are making it seem as though they blew his car up. This was an oversight by the service technician who was probably in a hurry to move onto the next project to get it done for the customer asap.
I wouldn't be so hard on someone for a minor mishap such as this. It could be far worse! Make them clean it, get a discount off the service and move on.
And those who are asking what dealer it is to avoid them, I suggest going there actually. I bet this event will be fresh in their mind for the next few months so the odds of it happening in that time frame are slim to none.
Where I would be staying away from are the dealers who haven't had any mishaps recently.
OP I am sorry to hear of your misfortunes, but I have heard far worse horror stories tbh.

Good luck.
True, but this sort of thing shouldn't happen, and definitely not at the dealership. Jiffylube, fine. But not at a dealer. The upside is that they should be extra motivated to rectify the situation. But it's not excusable. And I wouldn't call it a minor mishap if God forbid someone else was driving and wasn't paying attention, hit highway speeds, didn't notice the smoke, and then roasts a perfectly good engine. Fluids are critical. You're probably right but it's still a big deal, IMO.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:51 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
Mistakes are made and are usually simple bone headed one
Usually on the most routine stuff...they operate in autopilot and don't check their work
Not an excuse just a fact
They need better QA/QC and a 2nd party to check work before released
Old 05-22-2014, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Originally Posted by jcfay
True, but this sort of thing shouldn't happen, and definitely not at the dealership. Jiffylube, fine. But not at a dealer. The upside is that they should be extra motivated to rectify the situation. But it's not excusable. And I wouldn't call it a minor mishap if God forbid someone else was driving and wasn't paying attention, hit highway speeds, didn't notice the smoke, and then roasts a perfectly good engine. Fluids are critical. You're probably right but it's still a big deal, IMO.

I disagree, while yes, it should never happen at a dealership, keep in mind the dealership does a lot of different jobs, and at times mistakes will be made.

I personally would have contacted the dealership first before going all postal on their reputation to see how they own up to their mistake. That is what makes a good or a bad dealer, not that mistakes happen.

As for Jiffy lube, there is no excuse for this kind of mistake (yes I know it happens, and they have a bad habit of screwing up peoples cars). This is their sole purpose, fluid changes (and some minor other crap), but oil changes are their bread and butter and what they do all day long. This is not a mistake that they should make, even though they do (not to mention scamming people on air filters and what not)
Old 05-22-2014, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
And FYI, I do my own oil changes, every 5k or so, and have done so since I got the car (14k, its not at 96k). I have always done oil changes in all my cars, I have done hundreds of them.

And I did the exact same thing a year ago as the dealer did to the OP, I forgot the damn oil cap (which fortunately fell into the air intake while I was driving, leaning against teh air filter, and I had oil in my trunk so I fixed it at the side of the road).

**** happens, we all make mistakes, even the pro's make mistakes. Anyone who claims otherwise is lieing. Google Adam Savage Failure, you know the dude from Mythbusters, and you will understand.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: dealership error causes big mess