C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

White smoke from under car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2014, 02:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
White smoke from under car

Has anyone experienced white smoke from under the car? It's not coming from the exhaust tailpipe but billowing from the rear wheels ( both sides).

Is it possible that something is leaking and burning on the exterior of my exhaust? Or could this be signs of headbolt problems?

Here is a bad video of the smoke:
https://vidd.me/HoA
Old 05-26-2014, 04:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 Estate
The video really doesn't show much.
Best thing is if you can get under the car and see the source of it.

Could be a plastic bag or similar that your exhaust collected. I have had this happen to me, and although there was no smoke bellowing, there was a terrible smell for a long time, until i got underneath with a wire brush to clean it off properly.

The smell was awful though. filtered through the cabin. And everywhere i stopped, you could smell me coming!
Old 05-26-2014, 10:40 AM

2010 C63 AMG
I would agree except it only happens when I drive a bit harder then usual. I don't get the smell or smoke on normal driving. I've also peeked under the car and don't see anything when the car is idle.

I've recently had a slow drip from the car but the stealer swears they've fixed the problem. I've been there 3 times and they've sent me home each time with nothing done.

However, I suspect that the related and its some sort of fluid that is leaking under heavy load/pressure. Hoping to get some perspective on how serious the problem could be considering my stealer is not finding the problem.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 Estate
how about after driving the car hard, stop and jack it up immediately to try find the source of the problem?
Old 05-26-2014, 11:32 AM

2010 C63 AMG
I live in a condo with no access to a safe jack or flat ground. But I will try plan a trip to a friends place to take a look.

Thanks for chiming in with your help, its really appreciated!
Old 05-26-2014, 11:33 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
Parking brake needs adjusted?
Video really shows nothing

Do both sides do it?
What does it smell like?
Old 05-26-2014, 11:39 AM

2010 C63 AMG
Ya, its really hard to capture the smoke with the camera i had at the time. Sorry I can try for another video if you all think it will help.

Both sides do it and it kinda smells like a fresh paved road. There is also a lot of heat coming from the wheel wheel. At first I thought it my tires smoking after having a bit too much fun.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:48 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
Are you saying it only happens after you drive hard and 'smoke' the tires?
Smells like asphalt and rubber
Are you serious?
Old 05-26-2014, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
ABS trying to compensate for wheel spin on one wheel. Are the rear rotors very hot, or you got a small leak dripping into the lower pans that is blown out onto the pipes when driving aggressively.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:00 PM

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Ingenieur
Are you saying it only happens after you drive hard and 'smoke' the tires?
Smells like asphalt and rubber
Are you serious?
LOL,

I originally thought thats what it was but last few times I wasn't smoking the tires at all. I was just driving at relatively normal speeds on the highway as I've done countless times with no smoke. I also drove around the block a few times to cool down the tires to help rule that out.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:01 PM

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Critter
ABS trying to compensate for wheel spin on one wheel. Are the rear rotors very hot, or you got a small leak dripping into the lower pans that is blown out onto the pipes when driving aggressively.
I suspect its the latter. Its just so frustrating since I've been there so many times and they haven't found the leak. Maybe I will try and other dealer.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Be standing there when they drop the pans under the car, they are good indications of just where the leak could be, if they have done their job properly and cleaned the visual oil stain originally, it should be easy to verify if the engine or trans is still leaking. If the pan is covered with oil or has signs of dripping ask them why you pay to get a fix and it still is leaking.
Old 05-26-2014, 12:44 PM

2010 C63 AMG
Be standing there when they drop the pans under the car, they are good indications of just where the leak could be, if they have done their job properly and cleaned the visual oil stain originally, it should be easy to verify if the engine or trans is still leaking. If the pan is covered with oil or has signs of dripping ask them why you pay to get a fix and it still is leaking.
I definitely do that. In the event there is no leak. What is the probability that it could be the brakes? Now that I think about it, I do recall they were steaming once in the rain.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Steaming in the rain is fairly normal if you have been using the brakes a lot, with numerous stops from city speeds or highway slowdowns. What is also on the table is a possible brake caliper dragging on one wheel, or a maladjusted parking brake, seized brake cable, all these little things have their own fixes. If you have a thermo-gun measure the rotor temps on all the wheels and see if one is a lot hotter than the others, this will narrow your search. But with the car being a 2010, seized calipers or cables should be low on the priority, but you never know. Brakes have a distinguishing smell when they are hot, ever pulled up beside a dump or transport truck at a stop light that has just came down a steep hill and used its brakes a lot, that smell is unforgettable.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:55 PM

2010 C63 AMG
Steaming in the rain is fairly normal if you have been using the brakes a lot, with numerous stops from city speeds or highway slowdowns. What is also on the table is a possible brake caliper dragging on one wheel, or a maladjusted parking brake, seized brake cable, all these little things have their own fixes. If you have a thermo-gun measure the rotor temps on all the wheels and see if one is a lot hotter than the others, this will narrow your search. But with the car being a 2010, seized calipers or cables should be low on the priority, but you never know. Brakes have a distinguishing smell when they are hot, ever pulled up beside a dump or transport truck at a stop light that has just came down a steep hill and used its brakes a lot, that smell is unforgettable.
So I did a quick youtube search and I think you may be right about the brakes.

This is exactly what I see happening on the back wheels.

Thanks for all your help, this should give me more to discuss at the stealer.
Old 05-26-2014, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Yea, that driver is as smart as a rock, this is why they have cool down laps. This is what happens when the driver knows little about the car or its up keep. The helmet is just holding in his ego.
Next run out he will be complaining of brakes fading from glazed pads or pulsation, or ???

Last edited by Critter; 05-26-2014 at 04:22 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:03 PM

2010 C63 AMG
This is just an update incase anyone was wondering.

To confirm, it was the parking brake causing the smoke.

What happened was the pedal was slightly triggered by 1/2 click - just enough to activate the brake but not trigger the light. I pulled the release and problem solved.

I know I am a moron.