Newbie C63 Owner with Wheel/Tire Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Newbie C63 Owner with Wheel/Tire Questions

Hey Guys,

Awesome forum, very informative and I apologize for my very basic questions. I am the proud new owner of a 2010 White C63 AMG with the P31 Perf Pack.
Being a speed and sound junkie I have already had the following work:
ECU Flash/Dyno
MBH Tri-Y Long Tube Headers
MBH Mid Pipes
High Flow Filters

The car sounds awesome (video to follow) and puts out some impressive numbers, the issue I have now is applying the power LOL. I am running stock wheels and tires and wanted to increase to at least 19s but after reading through the forums about suggested tire sizes, offsets etc etc am heavily confused. I would really like some black wheels to match some of the blackout grill and badges I intend to get, any suggestions, pics or information on what to buy, specifically sizes so I will not experience any rubbing or inconsistencies with the speedometer etc by using the wrong combination would be greatly appreciated.

This has probably been beaten to death and again apologize if the questioning is basic but i'm kinda new to this part of it and have typically only purchased AWD cars in the past (outside of my last car which was an E60 M5 and didnt have these issues so much).

Look forward to your responses.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by stupladge
Hey Guys,

Awesome forum, very informative and I apologize for my very basic questions. I am the proud new owner of a 2010 White C63 AMG with the P31 Perf Pack.
ECU Flash/Dyno
MBH Mid Pipes
High Flow Filters

The car sounds awesome (video to follow) and puts out some impressive numbers, the issue I have now is applying the power LOL. I am running stock wheels and tires and wanted to increase to at least 19s but after reading through the forums about suggested tire sizes, offsets etc etc am heavily confused. I would really like some black wheels to match some of the blackout grill and badges I intend to get, any suggestions, pics or information on what to buy, specifically sizes so I will not experience any rubbing or inconsistencies with the speedometer etc by using the wrong combination would be greatly appreciated.

This has probably been beaten to death and again apologize if the questioning is basic but i'm kinda new to this part of it and have typically only purchased AWD cars in the past (outside of my last car which was an E60 M5 and didnt have these issues so much).

That's a controversial topic. The most conservative +1 would be to factory 19's. They're not any wider, so don't expect a big difference in start-up. There's no other tire or wheel size that won't cause some inaccuracy in the speedometer or potential problems with the ESP, and rubbing and even worse rear tire wear are other considerations.

Does you car have a limited-slip? P31 did not include it (the earlier P30 did). If you have an open diff, getting an LSD would make the car way better. It would be a better improvement than a tire size change, in my opinion.

The black 19" forged AMG wheels from the 2014 Edition 507 would look very hot.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Hey Guys,

ECU Flash/Dyno
MBH Mid Pipes
High Flow Filters

Welcome.

You'll find a plethora of tire size/wheel size information if you utilize the site's "search" feature.

Quick answer: several members run 265-section rears and 245-section fronts with no problems whatsoever.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:14 AM

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by zibby43
Welcome.

You'll find a plethora of tire size/wheel size information if you utilize the site's "search" feature.

Quick answer: several members run 265-section rears and 245-section fronts with no problems whatsoever.
Thanks for this, those do seem to be the more common sizes, I was thinking 275 but may stick with 265. When searching for wheel/tire packages they quite often list a variety of widths and et too, is that something I need to consider too or will I be fine either way as long as I stick with the suggested tire sizes?

Been looking at the tsw interlagos, look nice and price is good. Any particular brand/type of tire renowned for better traction? I live in phoenix if that matters, dry and very hot conditions. Thanks again
Old 05-28-2014, 09:04 AM

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by whoover
That's a controversial topic. The most conservative +1 would be to factory 19's. They're not any wider, so don't expect a big difference in start-up. There's no other tire or wheel size that won't cause some inaccuracy in the speedometer or potential problems with the ESP, and rubbing and even worse rear tire wear are other considerations.

Does you car have a limited-slip? P31 did not include it (the earlier P30 did). If you have an open diff, getting an LSD would make the car way better. It would be a better improvement than a tire size change, in my opinion.

The black 19" forged AMG wheels from the 2014 Edition 507 would look very hot.

Hey guys, I guess I was wrong on the P31 it was the package I had, I used the decoder tool on this forum, here is the link to my car:

http://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/merc...ck?su=vfjx-z1a

It shows the P30 pack and also the 471 option which is the Locking Differential. I tell you what else I found interesting was the M63 code described as 6.3 liter displacement, I always thought and read that despite the badges saying 6.3 that the car was actually a 6.2, anyone comment on that? also I assume the decoder information to be 100% accurate? If so very cool info.

Oh yeah and I had the CEL come on this morning after only 300 miles on the tune - frustrating.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Actual M156 Engine displacement is 6208 cc. When it comes to engine displacement it is customary for car manufacturers to round up, and besides, the 6.3 badge has a historical meaning for MB which is why it is labelled as such.

Re traction - if you already have an LSD, your options are limited to going with a slightly wider tire and/or a softer tire compound. There is a wealth of information on the subject on this forum.

As for the CEL, between all the mods you have on the car and the fact that to you it is a new vehicle (so you have no first-hand knowledge of it), there could be a myriad of reasons for the same. If you need to find out why it's happening, I'd put it back to stock and then start changing one variable at a time.

Last edited by Diabolis; 05-28-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:32 PM

2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Diabolis
Actual M156 Engine displacement is 6208 cc. When it comes to engine displacement it is customary for car manufacturers to round up, and besides, the 6.3 badge has a historical meaning for MB which is why it is labelled as such.

Re traction - if you already have an LSD, your options are limited to going with a slightly wider tire and/or a softer tire compound. There is a wealth of information on the subject on this forum.

As for the CEL, between all the mods you have on the car and the fact that to you it is a new vehicle (so you have no first-hand knowledge of it), there could be a myriad of reasons for the same. If you need to find out why it's happening, I'd put it back to stock and then start changing one variable at a time.
Hey Diabolis, thanks for the reply.

I am aware on the 6.2 vs 6.3 part, I had researched when I bought it. What threw me off and forgive me I cannot remember the website but when I was looking for car parts and preselected my car it asked if it was the 6.2 or the 6.3 version and then when I checked the decoder it specifically listed a feature code (M63) and description of 6.3 liter displacement. If the 6.2 is standard which I believe it is then why would it list out any different? seems very strange and confusing, maybe just a coincidence.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Thanks for this, those do seem to be the more common sizes, I was thinking 275 but may stick with 265. When searching for wheel/tire packages they quite often list a variety of widths and et too, is that something I need to consider too or will I be fine either way as long as I stick with the suggested tire sizes?

Been looking at the tsw interlagos, look nice and price is good. Any particular brand/type of tire renowned for better traction? I live in phoenix if that matters, dry and very hot conditions. Thanks again
With 275-section tires on 18" wheels, *some* members were reporting poor lateral handling characteristics because there's just too much "extra" rubber.

While 275 is possible without rubbing, 265 is probably your safest bet, especially on 18" wheels. By going 245/265, you'll get a bit more traction while retaining the OEM ride quality, etc.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:47 PM

2010 C63 AMG
With 275-section tires on 18" wheels, *some* members were reporting poor lateral handling characteristics because there's just too much "extra" rubber.

While 275 is possible without rubbing, 265 is probably your safest bet, especially on 18" wheels. By going 245/265, you'll get a bit more traction while retaining the OEM ride quality, etc.
Thanks for that, I think I will stick with 265 however I really want 19s so probably 265/30/19s for the rears, that appears fairly hassle free from what I can tell by reading.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 Estate
These sites will help you.
The 2nd one is great for calculating the speedometer difference.
http://www.jdmconcept.com.au/wheel-offset-calculator

http://www.alloywheels.com/Tyre_Calculator
Old 05-28-2014, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Thanks for that, I think I will stick with 265 however I really want 19s so probably 265/30/19s for the rears, that appears fairly hassle free from what I can tell by reading.
No prob! Yep you should be good there, perhaps just a 10mm spacer, depending on the wheel offset(s).
Old 05-28-2014, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order

Don't mean to split hairs or anything... but all other things being equal, the reported poor lateral handling is likely a function of the rim width as opposed to the diameter. Mounting a 275 section tire on a 9" wide rim will likely result in what you're describing, but mounting that same tire on a 10" wide rim is much less likely to have any negative effects on the handling. Yes, there is more sidewall on an 18" tire than a 19" of the same width, but current tire carcass technology and sidewall stiffness are certainly way past the point where there is going to be any depreciable sidewall flexing and degradation in performance between 18" and 19" tires provided that they are both properly supported on a rim of the correct width. The tires used in almost all professionally sanctioned motorsport applications have a hefty sidewall, yet sidewall flexing is far from being a limiting factor in any/all of them.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:04 AM

2010 C63 AMG
No prob! Yep you should be good there, perhaps just a 10mm spacer, depending on the wheel offset(s).
Thanks zibby43, I would like to avoid using spacers too what offset should I be looking for and how will I even know if spacers are required when buying the wheels?
Old 05-29-2014, 08:20 AM

2009 C63 AMG
Front: 19x8.5 offset 40 245/35
Rear: 19x10 offset 52 275/30

No rubbing, no spacers, perfectly flush, handles well. I plan on lowering and am told I should have no issues there either. At that point the shape of the tire may come into play (squared off shape vs rounded based on brand). I can post photos later if you want.

You'll need to shop around for brand and model wheels that support these offsets. Forum searches are your friend on that one.
Old 05-31-2014, 08:48 AM

Mercedes c63 amg
hi! which tire you use ??

because I buy the wheel set forgestar CF5V with 275-30-19 rear and it bend for 1mm inside.