C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

bolt-on mods and swapping in OEM for warranty work

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2014, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C63 507 Sedan
bolt-on mods and swapping in OEM for warranty work

I heard that if you remove your cats, it might void your warranty.

If so, I was going to ask the shop to make it a bolt-on part so I can put the OEM piece back on for service and warranty work.

Question is, do I have to swap in the OEM piece for each and every visit to the dealer? Oil change, basic service, etc? or only in cases where I suspect major driveline warranty work will be required?

For example, if I take it for an oil change and they see the catless piece, can that be held against me a year later if I need major repair (even though would have swapped back to OEM for the major repair)

SOrry if this is confusing. I just think it will be a major pain in the a$$ to swap the piece out for every single visit to the dealer.

Thanks for your suggestion.
Old 06-04-2014, 12:19 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
CLS63S
Really depends on what you're taking it in for and what you intend on doing bolt-on wise. If you take the car in for suspension noises or problems chances are they wont even look at your exhaust setup. However if you take the car in due to a check engine light and expect them not to inspect your car, you're crazy. I would level with my service advisor and feel out how they deal with modified cars.

Some dealerships wont mind different air filters or minor exhaust work, maybe squeeze in a ECU tune that you can return to stock. You might be ok with that.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C63 507 Sedan
cool thanks. Sounds like I should plan to swap for each visit to the dealer, just to be safe. Ugh..
Old 06-05-2014, 12:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 Barolo red C63 AMG (SOLD).13' P31 c63 coupe 2012 porsche panamera
Originally Posted by BigBadLarry
cool thanks. Sounds like I should plan to swap for each visit to the dealer, just to be safe. Ugh..
Talk to your SA. My sa does warranty work on my car and nothing is stock. They even fixed my long tube headers and ap catback.