C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

PCV valve question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
hey guys. I got a cel after 50 miles of driving with the new catch can. I didn't get a chance yet to pull the code bc I am still at the office. is the pcv system a sealed system, or does that round pcv housing thing have holes in it to draw air in? just wondering bc due to the tight space and stiff hoses, my pcv unit is pressed firmly into the firewall insulation. if there are holes in it, I am wondering if this is bad. thx.

Last edited by m a x i m u s; 07-09-2014 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
Most pvc circuits are sealed
The valve is basically spring loaded ball check
Only allows flow in 1 direction
Could it be tubed backwards?
Old 07-09-2014, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Ingenieur
Most pvc circuits are sealed The valve is basically spring loaded ball check Only allows flow in 1 direction Could it be tubed backwards?
dunno, but I don't think so. I believe it doesn't matter which way the can is hooked up. I gathered that from the fact that there were no explicit instructions to the contrary. one tube goes from the pcv to the can, another tube goes from the can back to the intake.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

like I said though, I didn't pull the codes yet as I'm still at the office. this could be something else, but seems too coincidental to me for the cel to come on 50 miles after i installed the catch can.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:42 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
I was talking about the pvc valve

So the pvc valve was never removed
Still oriented in the same direction
Check all the connections and let us know the code
You're right the can direction probably doesn't matter
Old 07-09-2014, 07:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
like I said though, I didn't pull the codes yet as I'm still at the office. this could be something else, but seems too coincidental to me for the cel to come on 50 miles after i installed the catch can.
Yes, that is questionable. It's a sealed system. This is why I was worried when I couldn't get the billet adapter to mate flush with the manifold. And it doesn't matter to which side of the catch can is attached to which end, since it originally was a closed circuit anyway. If you can pull the codes that is great. But I'd also double check that all of the fittings are tight and still in place, of course.
Old 07-09-2014, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

codes: P0171 P2187
which are lean bank1. I'm thinking it's bc the fitting going into the intake is askew. just got home so the engine is piping hot, so will have to wait til tomorrow to take it apart. any thoughts?

Last edited by m a x i m u s; 07-09-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 305 Likes on 224 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
codes: P0171 P2187
which are lean bank1. I'm thinking it's bc the fitting going into the intake is askew. just got home so the engine is piping hot, so will have to wait til tomorrow to take it apart. any thoughts?
"Piping hot" refers to food that is emitting steam that can be heard, likened to the sound of bagpipes. Chaucer's Miller Tale from the Canterbury Tales was the first recorded use:

He sent her sweetened wine and well-spiced ale
And waffles piping hot out of the fire

This is a famously bawdy work and he's soon doing some piping of his own.

Thought you might be curious.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

well, I do find the m156 to be quite delicious. I'm gonna work on the car tomorrow. I'll post results here.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:25 AM

2018 AMG E63s
Max, you know I'm new to this. But since I had issues with both fittings I wrote Weistec and they replied asking me to send pics of the adapters to see if they were improperly milled. I'm thinking they aren't and I just had the same fitment issues that everyone else described in the other thread. I'm going to give it another shot this weekend and try and take pics. I'm not sure if you were able to get both billet adapters to mount flush, but I think a leak anywhere in the system would lead to the same codes, if the codes are PCV related (again, know nothing about those). There other issue I had was there was so little room next to the firewall it would have been tough to get everything (new adapters, new lines) to mount as flush to the rear of the engine. And considering how these cars move around, I'm asssuming that any rubbing could lead the somewhat loose fittings becoming gradually loosened over time.

Curious to see your results. Please do post follow-up. thx
Old 07-10-2014, 10:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Leak after maf sensor, check fittings.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
When installed my can, I loose fitted for direction of the fittings on the back of the engine, then removed and tightened the black 1 inch fitting to the adapter using an adjustable wrench and the 1 inch wrench to make certain all was tight, then installed the adapter assembly with the hose already attached plus (not required) secured with an electrical zip tie for added security. Same for the pcv side assembly, get the angle for the hose figured out the tighten fitting outside of car then install. Catch can same way. Good luck.
Maximus did the air horn drop back down on the drivers side, it is tight and took a small amount of grease on the seal and some muscle to get the horn secured on the clips, also rubber couplings can be a pain on the bottom as the top section of the airbox tends to flip in inwards, any one replacing air filters will understand.
Did the bottom of the can get tightened also to contact the rubber O ring?

Last edited by Critter; 07-10-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thanks, guys.

critter: I'm pretty sure all the airbox and horn seals seated properly, but I am going to take it all apart again later today to address the adapter piece going into the intake anyway, so I will check it out. I also did notice a very tiny tiny amount of moisture around one of the fittings at the can. I have an injured hand, so maybe I wasn't able to apply full torque on the wrenches the first time around. I'll be sure to go slow and double check everything.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:09 PM

2018 AMG E63s
thanks, guys.

critter: I'm pretty sure all the airbox and horn seals seated properly, but I am going to take it all apart again later today to address the adapter piece going into the intake anyway, so I will check it out. I also did notice a very tiny tiny amount of moisture around one of the fittings at the can. I have an injured hand, so maybe I wasn't able to apply full torque on the wrenches the first time around. I'll be sure to go slow and double check everything.
That moisture might be a good hint, as I wouldn't think you should get condensation there at all normally. But if one of the hoses isn't snug, you might be getting vacuum bringing air in and condensation if there's a temp difference at the can. Did you mount yours by the headlight, I assume? Curious to hear what the result is. Kind of looking forward to the reinstall this weekend...
Old 07-10-2014, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Ok this happened to me as well when I installed my can. Install was ok (checked everything was tightly secure and such) but the lean condition would persist. I then removed the can and put to the car back to stock. Which didn't fix the issue. After double checking the airboxes, cleaning the MAFs etc.. I decided to drop the car to the dealer (I have extended warranty). Turns out the PCV valve was the fault. They changed it and voila no more CEL. Reinstalled the catch can without any issues.
So could be when first installing the can playing with the PCV valve broke it somehow or could be just coincidence and the result of normal wear .
Bottom line i would suggest you to check if the problem comes from the catch can or another part failing. GL
Old 07-10-2014, 03:14 PM

2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by abcut973
Ok this happened to me as well when I installed my can. Install was ok (checked everything was tightly secure and such) but the lean condition would persist. I then removed the can and put to the car back to stock. Which didn't fix the issue. After double checking the airboxes, cleaning the MAFs etc.. I decided to drop the car to the dealer (I have extended warranty). Turns out the PCV valve was the fault. They changed it and voila no more CEL. Reinstalled the catch can without any issues.
So could be when first installing the can playing with the PCV valve broke it somehow or could be just coincidence and the result of normal wear .
Bottom line i would suggest you to check if the problem comes from the catch can or another part failing. GL
How many miles did you have on the car/PCV valve? That timing seems highly suspect...
Old 07-10-2014, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Originally Posted by jcfay
How many miles did you have on the car/PCV valve? That timing seems highly suspect...
I think I was close to 70k miles when it happened last year. I'm the second owner so I don't know if this part was replaced prior.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:17 PM

2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by Critter
Maximus did the air horn drop back down on the drivers side, it is tight and took a small amount of grease on the seal and some muscle to get the horn secured on the clips
I'd check this too. The fit on this part was ridiculous. If I had to guess I'd swear they installed the full air intake system on the engine before installing the engine in the factory. The PCV sits totally up against the plastic y-intake, hence why it's so damn tough to remove, in place in the engine bay. With reinstallation I pushed down on this piece with significant force to just try and make sure that it was in place correctly.
Old 07-10-2014, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
I think this is the same code/issue I have. Came on after ECU update, but no symptoms. Too lazy to fix right now ...

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ge-system.html
Old 07-11-2014, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ok guys, I took everything apart and had a look. the intake adapter looked ok, but the fittings weren't as tight as they could be, so I took a wrench to all the fittings. like someone else had mentioned, the one I'm not 100% about is the one that connects to the pcv housing, due to the lack of leverage. I'm not sure how tight is tight, but I torqued those things down the best I could. put everything back carefully, and cleared the codes. I'll have to wait a few miles/days before seeing if the problem is gone. I'm also gonna call weistec tomorrow with some questions.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Maximus, this is why I loose fitted the adaptors to get the angle correct, then removed and tightened with the wrenches outside of the car.
Installed the hoses and then inserted all as a unit.

Last edited by Critter; 07-11-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:39 PM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2011 C63
Maximus, this is why I loose fitted the adaptors to get the angle correct, then removed and tightened with the wrenches outside of the car.
Excellent advice. I will do exactly what you suggested. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:42 PM

2018 AMG E63s
That is good advice. I may give that a try myself.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:23 AM

2018 AMG E63s
ok guys, I took everything apart and had a look. the intake adapter looked ok, but the fittings weren't as tight as they could be, so I took a wrench to all the fittings. like someone else had mentioned, the one I'm not 100% about is the one that connects to the pcv housing, due to the lack of leverage. I'm not sure how tight is tight, but I torqued those things down the best I could. put everything back carefully, and cleared the codes. I'll have to wait a few miles/days before seeing if the problem is gone. I'm also gonna call weistec tomorrow with some questions.
Hey there just wondering if you were able confirm what the issue was? I'm going to do another attempt at install today but wanted to see if you'd fixed the problem. If so was the issue the 1" fittings not being tight enough?

Follow-up, as a newb how do you clear the codes? What is the process for clearing the CEL as well? If you restore the system to normal do they clear themselves (I imagine not...)? Thx again

Last edited by jcfay; 07-13-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 352 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Originally Posted by jcfay
Follow-up, as a newb how do you clear the codes? What is the process for clearing the CEL as well? If you restore the system to normal do they clear themselves (I imagine not...)? Thx again
If the condition that caused the CEL no longer exits the CEL will disappear from the display and the code will be stored in the ECU memory. It may take a sequence of a certain number of starts or whatever the ECU requires before the CEL will be extinguished. To actually clear the code from memory will take a hardware/software solution (code reader, Star DAS Xentry, etc.) with the capability of removing stored codes. Active codes cannot be removed until the condition that is causing them has been corrected ( I think this is how it works).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PCV valve question