C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Best Air Filter, AirBox, Air Intake

Old 07-10-2014, 05:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 C63 AMG, 2015 Toyota Tundra TRD PRO
Best Air Filter, AirBox, Air Intake

My C63 is an 09 and currently the airbox/intake/filters are all stock.

I see a lot of people on here have ROW airboxes, AFE filters, carbon fiber intake etc.

I was wondering what the best combination would be from all your experiences? Any combination that will give the engine better sound quality?
Old 07-10-2014, 06:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
BMC Air Filters
Old 07-10-2014, 07:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG
Weistec all the way.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:10 AM

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
2009 c63
Originally Posted by RawBenz
Weistec all the way.
+1
Old 07-10-2014, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Not 100% certain about this, but wouldn't be surprised if it were true...
Another thread on here somewhere asked if the K&N filter were the same as the Weistec or AFE...
The difference is really that K&N oils theirs, take that red oil off and the filters look identical. I wouldn't be surprised if K&N manufactures for the other guys and stamps their names on the product for resale.
Regardless, I am running K&N's but feel there is no difference in filters.
Where the debate really lies is in the intake system.
Many have claimed hp gins from the CF style intakes, those claims are typically shot down pretty quickly by consumers leaving vendors struggling to stand behind their products proving otherwise. Most agree that the gain from these intakes is from the upgraded filter while installing the CF style intake.

I am currently running the ROW's with K&N's that is an automatic charcoal filter delete. I personally don't think my butt dyno is tuned well enough to pick up on any of the gains, if any are present, but I am happy with the products I have installed. I have not received any CEL's thus far and it has changed the sound in a positive manner according to my taste.

Hope this helps in some way. A lot of non-proven facts in and around this topic. My guess is AMG built an incredible intake system that is more than sufficient for the 156 and is hard to top. I would be willing to bet installing filters is all you need to do to squeeze a few more unnoticeable hp out of the car.
Old 07-10-2014, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
Afe filters
Old 07-10-2014, 08:41 AM

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
2024 GLE 63 S AMG SUV
Originally Posted by Autosport7
Not 100% certain about this, but wouldn't be surprised if it were true...
Another thread on here somewhere asked if the K&N filter were the same as the Weistec or AFE...
The difference is really that K&N oils theirs, take that red oil off and the filters look identical. I wouldn't be surprised if K&N manufactures for the other guys and stamps their names on the product for resale.
Regardless, I am running K&N's but feel there is no difference in filters.
Where the debate really lies is in the intake system.
Many have claimed hp gins from the CF style intakes, those claims are typically shot down pretty quickly by consumers leaving vendors struggling to stand behind their products proving otherwise. Most agree that the gain from these intakes is from the upgraded filter while installing the CF style intake.

I am currently running the ROW's with K&N's that is an automatic charcoal filter delete. I personally don't think my butt dyno is tuned well enough to pick up on any of the gains, if any are present, but I am happy with the products I have installed. I have not received any CEL's thus far and it has changed the sound in a positive manner according to my taste.

Hope this helps in some way. A lot of non-proven facts in and around this topic. My guess is AMG built an incredible intake system that is more than sufficient for the 156 and is hard to top. I would be willing to bet installing filters is all you need to do to squeeze a few more unnoticeable hp out of the car.
I agree
Old 07-10-2014, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
The best intake is the renntech setup, but wowzers is it expensive. It has been tested and showed gains.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Merc63
The best intake is the renntech setup, but wowzers is it expensive. It has been tested and showed gains.
Yeah I think abcut973 is running it, total baller!
Maybe he can chime in here and shed some light, love first hand experienced pov's in this stuff.
Old 07-10-2014, 12:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 Diamond White C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by RawBenz
Weistec all the way.
x2
Old 07-10-2014, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Yeah I think abcut973 is running it, total baller!
Maybe he can chime in here and shed some light, love first hand experienced pov's in this stuff.
Yes I am actually quoting myself, it would appear I was mistaken, not abcut973, but Kriston rather is the baller.

ok ok, abcut973 is a baller as well, confused myself as you (abcut973) have the Renntech tune, not intake.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 184 Posts
C63 AMG
Fellas the Renntech intake makes 10 Wheel HP.

FYI I just did the V5 tune I put down 440 WHP and 380 WTQ. (Read: 525 HP and 460 FT TQ at the crank) with my bolt on's. This is also on a low reading Dyno Dynamics machine, on Dynojets you can add 8-10% more HP. Dyno file attached.

Yes I am actually quoting myself, it would appear I was mistaken, not abcut973, but Kriston rather is the baller.

ok ok, abcut973 is a baller as well, confused myself as you (abcut973) have the Renntech tune, not intake.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
New Doc 39.pdf (1.44 MB, 321 views)
Old 07-10-2014, 04:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by Kriston
Fellas the Renntech intake makes 10 Wheel HP.

FYI I just did the V5 tune I put down 440 WHP and 380 WTQ. (Read: 525 HP and 460 FT TQ at the crank) with my bolt on's. This is also on a low reading Dyno Dynamics machine, on Dynojets you can add 8-10% more HP. Dyno file attached.
I thought your car Dynoed stock at 419/395... So you only gained 21 whp and lost tq?
Old 07-10-2014, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 184 Posts
C63 AMG
I had the car re-dyno'd. Using Eurocharged Dyno. The first Dyno I went to, was not calibrated correctly. Thus the higher reading.

My baseline on the Eurocharged Dyno was 390 WHP and 355ish TQ prior to uploading the V5 file.

So a net gain of 50WHP and 25TQ. Take a look at the dyno sheet and you will see the gains from the baseline.

This is why Dyno's shouldn't be taken as an end all. They all read differently. But im confident in the Eurocharge Dyno reading. From what I understand Eurocharged Canada stated its one of if not the most powerful C63 they have tuned without headers.

With headers I'm sure I can surpass 500 WHP and 420 TQ.

Originally Posted by Petakii63
I thought your car Dynoed stock at 419/395... So you only gained 21 whp and lost tq?
Old 07-10-2014, 04:34 PM

C63
Originally Posted by Kriston
I had the car re-dyno'd. Using Eurocharged Dyno. The first Dyno I went to, was not calibrated correctly. Thus the higher reading.

My baseline on the Eurocharged Dyno was 390 WHP and 355ish TQ prior to uploading the V5 file.

So a net gain of 50WHP and 25TQ. Take a look at the dyno sheet and you will see the gains from the baseline.

This is why Dyno's shouldn't be taken as an end all. They all read differently. But im confident in the Eurocharge Dyno reading. From what I understand Eurocharged Canada stated its one of if not the most powerful C63 they have tuned without headers.

With headers I'm sure I can surpass 500 WHP and 420 TQ.
Look into some benzworks headers. They make a nice header which is what I'm going with for my next mod
Old 07-11-2014, 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
I've been thinking about making a custom intake for my C63. The problem with our intake is the filter area, and no airbox or filter mod will yield much gain. We need to increase the filter size, as well as the pipes into the throttle body - particularly the "Y". This thread shows pretty close to what I'll do, pending room constraints I'll look to put big cone filters close to the grille opening or behind the headlights. https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...i-c55-amg.html

Or this: https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...tem-m113k.html

Has anyone in the C63 world constructed something like this? It should be pretty straightforward to fab this up - just a "Y", and two bends of 3" pipe. And there should be pretty significant gains as well.

Last edited by BLKROKT; 07-11-2014 at 03:40 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
I would like to see something like that

Jr cart I think has a customs intake on his sls
Old 07-11-2014, 07:17 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
I never understood the reasoning behind buying an aftermarket air filter or air intake other than to blow money on something and convince yourself you got a performance gain.

MAF sensors and ecu control the amount of air going into the engine, constantly regulating it. If you increase the amount of air flow available without a tune, why would you expect a performance gain? It will only suck what the computer tells it to suck regardless of how much it COULD suck.

What am I missing here?
Old 07-11-2014, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by -Marlin-
I never understood the reasoning behind buying an aftermarket air filter or air intake other than to blow money on something and convince yourself you got a performance gain.

MAF sensors and ecu control the amount of air going into the engine, constantly regulating it. If you increase the amount of air flow available without a tune, why would you expect a performance gain? It will only suck what the computer tells it to suck regardless of how much it COULD suck.

What am I missing here?
MAF Sensor - I don't think MAF sensors actually "control" or "regulate" the amount of air being inhaled. I am more inclined to believe it more-or-less "monitors" the amount of air being inhaled. Two similarly correlated words, but very different meanings. As long as the air being monitored doesn't surpass the designed map, all should be good.

ECU or "Computer" - The ECU is similar to that of a brain in the human body. Yes it tells the rest of the car how to operate, but if the pathway is restricted, or not working to its fullest potential, it leaves room for improvement. By improving the amount of air that can be introduced to the system and the easier that air is obtained, the better. The brain is only telling the system when to breathe and as long as the MAF isn't finding TOO much air, then the system should accept the amount being introduced. If the filter flows more freely, then more air should be inhaled as the car isn't working any harder to gain restricted air than it is to inhale more flowable air. It will always inhale at the same rate...

Not sure if this is 100% accurate, but this is how I understand it.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:18 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
our cars are drive by wire and the ecu will trim the TB's
the primary input is your foot though

filter/intakes can provide marginal gains by lowering pumping losses
for a given rate of acceleration you need X torque
to produce that torque some is lost as parasitic losses, one of which is pumping air through the engine...if the intake restriction is lowered, ie, filter DP, those losses are smaller...so more net power available for accel, or reduced throttle position for the same accel
this can improve efficiency a bit also under normal operation
Old 07-11-2014, 10:18 AM

C63
You guys are trying to fix something that isn't broken. The stock system is more than adequate for an N/A application. Heck weistec even uses row boxes up to stage 3... What does that tell you? The intake on the m156 is not the culprit of hindering power. Go jack up the car and look at the manifolds which are pathetic and on top of that the 500-600 cell primaries cats are the problem.... Not to mention the 400-500 cell sec cats. This cars exhaust is choked up! The amount of money you would spend to make a proper custom intake would be insane. And, what would be the point of all this air coming in on if your still running stock exhaust? If your gonna open up the intake. Do it right and open up the exhaust as well or just leave it stock if your gonna do a Mickey Mouse setup.

Last edited by Petakii63; 07-11-2014 at 10:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Solo wing (08-05-2021)
Old 07-11-2014, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
You guys are trying to fix something that isn't broken. The stock system is more than adequate for an N/A application. Heck weistec even uses row boxes up to stage 3... What does that tell you? The intake on the m156 is not the culprit of hindering power. Go jack up the car and look at the manifolds which are pathetic and on top of that the 500-600 cell primaries cats are the problem.... Not to mention the 400-500 cell sec cats. This cars exhaust is choked up! The amount of money you would spend to make a proper custom intake would be insane. And, what would be the point of all this air coming in on if your still running stock exhaust? If your gonna open up the intake. Do it right and open up the exhaust as well or just leave it stock if your gonna do a Mickey Mouse setup.
100% agree.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:18 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
I will say this: I put K&N in my RS4
picked up 7-8 HP as dyno proven by European Car magazine
picked up 1 mpg average
a little more noise
saved some money cleaning vs new paper
some environmental benefit: less crap in landfills

but I agree, no big power gains and stock is more than adequate
Old 07-11-2014, 04:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG
+1

Spend the money on a proper exhaust system/headers and supercharger instead.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
I guess to lots of folks an intake mod looks more attractive cause it's cheaper and certainly easier to install. Since I'm new to this, however, what sort of HP/tq gains can be had by replacing headers, deleting cats, fully modding the exhaust? Having perused some of the threads it seems like there are many different schools of thought on what options are best (x-pipe, long vs. short headers, etc.), some of which I'd assume I should chalk up to taste, i.e. some prefer one sound some prefer others, and then performance gains are also a consideration. Some of obviously tracking their cars, others are worried about failing state emissions, and then others aren't.

So I guess I'm wondering what the spectrum is on HP/tq gains for more modest to more widespread exhaust mods? Thanks for the input

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best Air Filter, AirBox, Air Intake