C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Delay when stepping on the gas pedal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 05:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 C63 AMG, 2015 Toyota Tundra TRD PRO
Delay when stepping on the gas pedal

Hey guys recently I started driving my c63 out more and more because the weathers been real nice, and I've come to notice something.

Now I don't know if this is normal or not.

Sometimes when I step down on the gas (not flooring it,but a good a way down) I can hear and feel the car get ready to pull and speed up. However once I step on it there is a good 1-1.5 seconds delay before it actually kicks in and starts pulling. Is this normal or is this something I gotta get checked out?

Example: I'll be going 40 mph and I see a clear straight run in front of me and I step on the gas approximately 75-85% of the way down and now there's a 1-1.5 seconds delay before it actually takes off.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
I think what you're describing is normal but it depends upon what gear you are in. For example I drive around town in D3 so rpm's are normally 2500+. Response is instantaneous. Huge difference between 5th and 7th on the highway too. But the downside is I'm averaging only 14.1 mpg even with 50% freeway driving.

Last edited by bhamg; 07-11-2014 at 05:50 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Jag F-Type V8
Originally Posted by Mark63
Hey guys recently I started driving my c63 out more and more because the weathers been real nice, and I've come to notice something.

Sometimes when I step down on the gas (not flooring it,but a good a way down) I can hear and feel the car get ready to pull and speed up. However once I step on it there is a good 1-1.5 seconds delay before it actually kicks in and starts pulling. Is this normal or is this something I gotta get checked out?

Example: I'll be going 40 mph and I see a clear straight run in front of me and I step on the gas approximately 75-85% of the way down and now there's a 1-1.5 seconds delay before it actually takes off.
The only delay I experience is a 1/4 second delay while the tranny is kicking-down and then the rear tires start spinning immediately and then traction control cuts in. I have the MCT tranny though, so I know it's a bit quicker than the 7G. In summary, it seems like your car takes a bit longer than it should to get into a lower gear if your delay is a "true" 1.5 second delay. You may benefit from a transmission control unit reflash or just by resetting the computer (search for how to do it).
Old 07-11-2014, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 431 Likes on 354 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Are you in the US?

Kickdown: (from the manual)

U.S. vehicles: Fully depress the accelerator pedal. Depending on the engine speed the automatic transmission shifts into a lower gear.

Canadian vehicles: Depress the accelerator pedal past the point of resistance. Depending on the engine speed the transmission shifts into a lower gear.

If you are at low rpms in too high a gear it will take the engine a while to overcome the effect of the gearing and begin to accelerate. To overcome this delay drive in a lower gear, paddle down just before you need to accelerate or depress the accelerator pedal to the floor. Since you seem to be looking for moderate acceleration drive in a lower gear or paddle down before you accelerate. Even with paddling down you may still be in too high a gear to accelerate briskly. Hold the paddle down, and the transmission will shift to the lowest gear possible for maximum acceleration, before releasing the paddle. There will be a slight delay while the transmission shifts to the lower gear(s). You will need to anticipate your action to get a satisfactory result.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 C300 4MATIC, 09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Mark63

im guessing what you are feeling is traction control, controlling your throttle input...if you can ever get to an autocross or closed area to drive the car w it totally off, then you can see what the car really feels like behind the computer controls.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
A tune might help with the throttle response.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:43 AM

'10 C63 AMG
^

I don't think a tune will help the OP in this situation.

I believe hes feeling traction control and/or the tranny trying to find the right gear corresponding to your throttle input.

Mark, I think what you're describing is completely normal. If the car responds instantaneously in S/M mode, I wouldn't be too worried.
Old 07-12-2014, 05:53 AM

Yes I live in the US I'm from Long Island New York
Old 07-12-2014, 05:54 AM

Originally Posted by Starky_
^

I don't think a tune will help the OP in this situation.

I believe hes feeling traction control and/or the tranny trying to find the right gear corresponding to your throttle input.

Mark, I think what you're describing is completely normal. If the car responds instantaneously in S/M mode, I wouldn't be too worried.
When I'm in Sports Mode it's a little bit jumpy and rough when it changes gears is that normal too?
Old 07-12-2014, 05:55 AM

Originally Posted by bhamg
I think what you're describing is normal but it depends upon what gear you are in. For example I drive around town in D3 so rpm's are normally 2500+. Response is instantaneous. Huge difference between 5th and 7th on the highway too. But the downside is I'm averaging only 14.1 mpg even with 50% freeway driving.

This usually happens in 3rd-5th gear.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG
You need to really learn your car. If it's in S or C mode (not Manual Paddle mode) you need to keep an ear out and look at what gear it is in. If it's just shifted into 4th gear for example and you stamp it... it will take a little longer to if it was already cruising in a gear.

Also if it's about to change to a gear e.g you're driving in 3rd and it's about to change into 4th and you stamp it, there will be a delay. It's all computerised.

You need to really get used to the car, feel it and learn it.

Because it's all computerised it's not like your traditional automatic where you stomp on it and it kicks down and takes off..

If you're in first, that will happen (with a sh*tload of wheel spin)

Just drive it more and test it out, test out the gears etc. Or just drive it in Manual mode.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 Estate
Originally Posted by RawBenz
You need to really learn your car. If it's in S or C mode (not Manual Paddle mode) you need to keep an ear out and look at what gear it is in. If it's just shifted into 4th gear for example and you stamp it... it will take a little longer to if it was already cruising in a gear.

Also if it's about to change to a gear e.g you're driving in 3rd and it's about to change into 4th and you stamp it, there will be a delay. It's all computerised.

You need to really get used to the car, feel it and learn it.

Because it's all computerised it's not like your traditional automatic where you stomp on it and it kicks down and takes off..

If you're in first, that will happen (with a sh*tload of wheel spin)

Just drive it more and test it out, test out the gears etc. Or just drive it in Manual mode.
Agree
Old 07-14-2014, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB
Mark, do you drive a silver C63 with a boost loading sticker lol? Think I've seen you and that sticker might be your problem.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:47 PM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
2012 C63 P31 sedan
The car is so fast that if you only push down the gas a little bit the car will stay in the same gear and accelerate a little before dropping a gear (or more).

Drive on the highway, 60 mph in 7th in S+. Push the gas down like half and the car should shift down to 5th. Smash the gas and the car will drop down to 3rd (tell passengers to hold on first).

Agreed that if you want the car to take off instantly you need to be in manual, smash the all the way down, or hold the left shift flipper (which should downshift to the optimal gear).
Old 07-17-2014, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by LakeShow23
Mark, do you drive a silver C63 with a boost loading sticker lol? Think I've seen you and that sticker might be your problem.
LOL WHATSUP!

Yea I took it to the mechanic and they did some **** and put some fluid in my gas tank and everything is okay now.

Wait til you see my other decals of turbo lag and **** lol

when you show me your car! I've been waiting my whole life to see a c63 in person!