C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Instrument gauge cluster plastic cover scratched???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 04:33 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Instrument gauge cluster plastic cover scratched???

So I was cleaning the interior of my car last night and under a certain light, I see ALOT of light scratches all over the instrument gauge cluster plastic cover, do you guys know is this normal?? I have only cleaned the interior twice since I purchased the car, and I just use a dry microfiber towel to lightly dust off dust on the plastic cover instrument gauge. Is the microfiber towel the culprit or is it something else, or do these covers just easily scratch? How to fix this issue?Any input appreciated, thanks.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by AMGPower88
So I was cleaning the interior of my car last night and under a certain light, I see ALOT of light scratches all over the instrument gauge cluster plastic cover, do you guys know is this normal?? I have only cleaned the interior twice since I purchased the car, and I just use a dry microfiber towel to lightly dust off dust on the plastic cover instrument gauge. Is the microfiber towel the culprit or is it something else, or do these covers just easily scratch? How to fix this issue?Any input appreciated, thanks.
Most likely it was the prep shop. Best to never let them touch your car other than to remove the cosmoline. I've had good results with Meguiars plastic polish but doubtless you'll get other suggestions.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Brasso, or some other soft metal cleaning polish and a light hand will clear that right up. Used to use that on perspex, polycarbonate, and other plastics for polishing and cleaning up scratches.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:37 PM

C63 AMG
Ok thanks, so the dry microfiber towel wont scratch anything right? It's likely that it was already scratched before.??
Old 07-17-2014, 03:01 PM

C63 AMG
only if it has dirt on the cover, or if theres dirt on the towel.. otherwise I dont think any microfiber towel should scratch the plastic cover, no matter how cheap the microfiber towel is...?

Is the plastic cover the same plastic as our headlights?

Last edited by AMGPower88; 07-17-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:39 AM

C63 AMG
Anybody..??
Old 07-18-2014, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
The clear plastic used in instrument panels does seem to scratch rather easily. That said, you generally will be fine using a CLEAN microfiber cloth. And your technique matters. If you drive a lot with your windows down like I do the dust that accumulates is "cutting" dust, not less abrasive household organic dust. I have a zillion microfiber cloths. When I clean these kinds of surfaces I fold one into quarters and each side get one wipe in one direction with a super light touch. Then the next side is exposed and the next and so forth. My washing machine always has a bunch of microfiber cloths tossed in there that basically look clean. Technique matters. Jvanbrecht knows what he's talking about but personally I'd feel more comfortable using a plastic polish. Griot's always has good products for these types of tasks.
Old 07-18-2014, 02:17 AM

C63 AMG
Ok thanks. Yes, I drive alot with the windows down but even then I gently wipe down the plastic cover, I just dont think that's whats causing the scratches, I mean they're usually not noticeable unless you get it in a certain light and there arent any deep scratches either but these kinds of things bother me quite a bit. I ordered Mothers Plastic polish, I heard its a good product...
Old 07-18-2014, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 352 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Try using a damp microfiber cloth to dust with as well. It will help lift and float the dust into the cloth and not just drag it across the surface with no lubricant at all.

A cap full of Avon bubble bath mixed in a cup of water makes a great mild cleaner that is designed to reduce hard water and make lots of suds. A little bit does not overdo the suds but makes a great lubricant to lift dust and light dirt and float it away. This is also a great window cleaner for tinted windows as it has no ammonia or hash chemicals and will not damage the plastic film.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Originally Posted by bhamg
Jvanbrecht knows what he's talking about but personally I'd feel more comfortable using a plastic polish. Griot's always has good products for these types of tasks.
Plastic polish.. lol.. does that exist heh.. Okay so I might be older than I look, I was in my late teens early 20's when I was using that stuff (school and engineering at college), plastic polish did not exist in my world