C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

C63 507 Edition Smoking | NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 10:31 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
2018 E63s
Originally Posted by odonnks
I'm with Gadget, that is coolant. What does it smell like ?
It has a rubberish type or scent. Really hard to say exactly what it smells like.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:37 PM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2011 C63
Originally Posted by BenDiem
OP,

I've been embarrased by the volume of smoke that appeared to linger for a short duration, upon pressing the Start button...

I noticed that it happened when I blipped the throttle right before I would tun off/stop my car. When I would return to my car, approx two hours later, after a work out, this is when I experienced the lingering and voluminous smoke.

Since I stopped blipping the throttle pedal right b/4 I turn off my car, I've not noticed smoke coming from the exhaust.

The "blipping of the throttle" right b/4 turning off my car, was a stupid habit I got into, b/c I've owned numerous motorcycles, to include carbed bikes, from back in the day... Yeah, it took me this long to stop this stupid habit, lol.

So, to close my observation, are you by chance blipping your throttle pedal right before stopping your car?

Cheers/BB
In the old days (60's and 70's), I would blip the throttle to keep the car from dieseling when shutting it down.

And by the way, I also think it's coolant, looks like steam from your video.

Last edited by glennhl; 07-18-2014 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:32 PM

2018 E63s
UPDATE 7/21/14

I have now booked my appointment to install my resonator on Wednesday and a dealer appointment on Thursday. I will keep you guys all informed about what the dealer has to say now. Hopefully they don't blame it on the coilovers
Old 07-21-2014, 09:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 C63 AMG 507 Edition
Originally Posted by ArtyyArt
UPDATE 7/21/14

I have now booked my appointment to install my resonator on Wednesday and a dealer appointment on Thursday. I will keep you guys all informed about what the dealer has to say now. Hopefully they don't blame it on the coilovers

They would blame the tire pressure if they could get away with it!
Old 07-21-2014, 09:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by rickclass
They would blame the tire pressure if they could get away with it!
Yeah, you're gonna need a full respray to fix that problem
Old 07-25-2014, 07:30 PM

2018 E63s
Update 7/25/14

So the Service Consultant called me yesterday around 6:00PM PST saying they did many "tests" and they can't seem to find what the problem is. He started to blame the resonator but I cut him off saying tell me how it can be from the resonator when a resonator is sort of like a silencer and is meant only for sound. I told him to check the head gasket like some of you guys were mentioning and right after I told him, he said "You know you may be right. It may be the head gasket."

I don't understand how these "Service Consultants" have been hired in the first place.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
White C63 507 Coupe
love the color ! I wanted a red one but there are none left in Canada :'(
Old 07-30-2014, 05:49 AM

C63 507 (2014) GLK350(2011)
I have the same blue smoke problem, i have resonator delete with a X-pipe. It always happen on cold start and it goes away. Once the engine is stop for a while,4-5 hours plus and if i press the gas pedal before i turn off the car, restarting the engine in a cold start i will smell and see lots of blue smoke. If i do not press the gas pedal before i turn off the car, little blue smokes last for around 3-5 sec then it's ok. I ask a tech and he is it's buring engine oil. I have done my first refill of engine oil at 3000KM for 1L. I m guessing it looks like the same problem as some old 996 porsche, burning engine oil at cold start. Correct me if i m wrong. The smell of the blue smokes smells like burning engine oil as well. I will update if anything changes but for now. Car runs great and no error code shown. Hope its help
Old 07-30-2014, 09:26 AM

C63 507 Edition Coupe
Hi guys,
I posted a smoke problem with my 507 some months ago but at that time the problem was with the gearbox. They said that the gearbox coolant was leaking and spraying the exaust pipe due to an o-ring failure...... after the second time that this happened, they kept the car for 1 month to replace the hole pipe but it kept on smoking. After almost a 1 month of arguing with the importer, they finally provided me with a brand new car.
Now, the new car has done exactly what you are discussing here: It smokes on cold starts.... It has done 3 or 4 times and the car is only 1.500 kilometers. It has allways happened after the second start, after driving it for a short while.
I have not taken it to the dealer yet and I would like to hear how ArtyyArt issue develops and how the new service report comes out. Please keep us updated.
Cheers from Chile...
Old 07-30-2014, 10:28 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 E55 AMG, 13 C63 AMG
It is normal for vapor to be expelled on a cold start. For every 1 gal of gasoline burned about 8 gals of water is released. This is why airliners leave those long contrails. Once the exhaust heats up enough you will never see it.

This is completely different from the coolant burn off the OP is having with his car. That is coolant, not vapor, and it is abnormal.

G
Old 07-30-2014, 01:30 PM

2018 E63s
Hello Guys,

So the dealer couldn't find anything with the car. They basically told me to drive the car and if it ever happens again, call road side assistance. Basically what they are trying to say is that I'm lying even though I have a video of the car smoking. They said we have to see it with our own eyes. This is my first Mercedes to own and it will sure be the last one. I am very disappointed in Mercedes because every time before I start my car, even in public when I go out on the weekends, I feel like it's going to smoke.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:32 PM

Mercedes Benz C63 AMG 507 Edition
C63 AMG 507 edition smoking on cold start

Hi,

I just bought a c 63 amg 507 edition three months back with 200 miles on it. The car is 2013.

After doing 500 miles on it, one morning on a cold start light blue smoke came out the engine for 10 -15 seconds like yours.
Mercedes checked it over and could not find any problem with the car. I didn't except this as no blue smoke should pour out at all.

There solution was to bring another AMG 507 edition and see if it smoked. It did but very little. So there response is its normal....
Old 07-30-2014, 03:23 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
06 E55 AMG, 13 C63 AMG
I would pull and oil sample and have it tested.

I am sure the test result will show coolant in the oil.

G
Old 07-31-2014, 08:00 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Jag F-Type V8
You should also escalate this to Mercedes North America. That smoke, as others have said, is not normal at all and clearly shows that something is going wrong in that motor.

You can take preventative measures and have your oil checked by Blackstone laboratories. This will help you determine what's wrong.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 507, 911 Carrera, Range Rover, Disco
I really think you just need to drive the car hard - it is under warranty and if something fails it will surface.

Until it is consistent and repeatable, they cannot do anything.

I suspect the harder you drive it the problem will resolve on its own.

I doubt these motors are even fully broken in until they reach 25,000 miles.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
If you need to prove to yourself that there is an issue or not, take the car, up to normal operating temp, oil included find a nice long fairly steep hill to drive on. On the way down leave the car in a gear that will allow the engine to hold the car back at around 2500-3500 rpm after about 30 seconds to 40 seconds fully depress the accelerator pedal for a few seconds this will make a drastic jump in RPMs for sure, shift to next gear. If you see a cloud of smoke puff out when you hit the gas then you have issues with valve stems or PCV issues.
Those blipping the throttle before shutting off the car are just using the engine as a compressor and it will pull air from wherever, with the throttle closed then the next best source of air is the crankcase via the PCV, pulling fume from the crank into the intake manifold, on cool down the fume condenses and liquid oil is the result, on restart cold the oil is drawn into the combustion chambers and burnt, viola blue smoke.
Higher than normal oil levels will also increase the likelihood of blue smoke on startup, parking on an incline enough that the oil is picked up by the crankshaft and atomised.
FYI
Old 07-31-2014, 02:54 PM

Received 59 Likes on 39 Posts
2022 4 Runner Pro, supercharged and lifted Lime Rush, 2018 E63s wagon Edition 1
I'm sorry to hear about this dilemma you're having, especially the frustration with the dealership. I purchased my '13 C63 sedan with P31 package and have not noticed any smoking except for a little water vapor steam for a few seconds when it has not been driven for a day or two. I have had cars with head gasket issues and one with a cracked head that leaked coolant into the combustion chamber and smoked just like your 507. Because the oil mixes with the coolant you can visually check the oil filler cap for droplets or if it's really bad you will see a gooey white substance on the inside of the cap. That is a definite sign of a coolant leak. Best of luck resolving this issue.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:11 PM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 E400 Coupe
Good luck with the problem. To modify your car under warranty is highly risky given MB has a pretty clear policy on the matter. They will do anything they can to avoid responsibility and cost.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Possibly it could be a faulty spark plug tube seal in the valve cover, allowing oil to pool in the plug hole and drain down through the threads.
Thoughts!
Old 07-31-2014, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by ArtyyArt
Hello Guys,

So the dealer couldn't find anything with the car. They basically told me to drive the car and if it ever happens again, call road side assistance. Basically what they are trying to say is that I'm lying even though I have a video of the car smoking. They said we have to see it with our own eyes. This is my first Mercedes to own and it will sure be the last one. I am very disappointed in Mercedes because every time before I start my car, even in public when I go out on the weekends, I feel like it's going to smoke.
My advice: Do not make that determination based upon your experience with one dealer. The level of service amongst dealers varies drastically. They're all basically franchises here in the U.S.

Have you tried a different dealer? Have you tried contacting Mercedes-Benz USA? In my experience, MBUSA will bend over backward to try to help you.

Good luck.
Old 07-31-2014, 07:41 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by abcut973
Something is happening on one bank. Resonator shouldn't be the issue.
Take it to an indie shop or another MB dealership.
Yep, one side only
I would look at the resonators to see if that side has a low spot where water could settle/condense/accumulate

Is the oil level constant?
Coolant level?

Last edited by Ingenieur; 07-31-2014 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
You will get a call for a service survey, I suggest you respond appropriately. While you may not think much of them, MB corp (and every single other manufacturer HQ) use them, and hold them over dealers. This is typically why dealers always ask you to provide 10's on the survey. do not tell them that you are going to give them a crappy review (some dealership service departments have been known to redirect those surveys away from customers they know are going to complain).

Secondly, while it is a pain, they don't have to prove anything when it comes to denying a warranty claim due to modification. Unfortunately it is up to us (the owners) to prove that the issue you are experiencing has nothing to do with the modifications, at which point they will have to honor the warranty claim.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Also, while I am not sure you would qualify since they could not find a problem, if you bring the car back to the dealership for the same problem over and over again (I believe 4 times is the magic number), Lemon law comes into play and you might be able to get the dealership to bu the vehicle back. I am not sure if they have to provide you with a replacement.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:01 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Warranty denial: pretty sure the dealer has to put in writing why and how the mod caused the issue

Lemon law: they contend there is no problem or if there is he caused it

They probably have put it in writing on his warranty/service invoice

I would take it off and see if it still does it
If not you know it was the problem
If it does you know it wasn't and the dealer has less ammunition

Will using 'aftermarket' or recycled parts void my warranty?
No. An 'aftermarket' part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer. A 'recycled' part is a part that was made for and installed in a new vehicle by the manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer, and later removed from the vehicle and made available for resale or reuse. Simply using an aftermarket or recycled part does not void your warranty. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

Last edited by Ingenieur; 07-31-2014 at 09:07 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
Originally Posted by ParkerK
I really think you just need to drive the car hard - it is under warranty and if something fails it will surface.

Until it is consistent and repeatable, they cannot do anything.

I suspect the harder you drive it the problem will resolve on its own.

I doubt these motors are even fully broken in until they reach 25,000 miles.
yes, just go drive the **** out of this car and enjoy it. It isnt even close to breaking in, once it is it will smoke less. 25k miles is alittle much but a good 2k mi it will seal up nicely. Normal condensation in the exhaust will cause some smoke on cold start. Either way it's under warranty as long as it runs fine nothing to worry about, if it starts going down hill then it will get fixed free.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63 507 Edition Smoking | NEED HELP!