C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

How many of you guys have clear bra?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 03:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
How many of you guys have clear bra?

So how many of you guys actually have clear bras on the front end of your car or side skirts? Im thinking about just doing the side pillars/skirts and rear bumper underneath the left and right hand side because rocks kick up every now and then. Front end of the car is going to be really pricey and I cant justify spending $2K on a clear bra installation. It would be nice to protect against rock chips but Im usually pretty careful on that when driving on the road. Plus, in the end, if I get a bad "lemon" clear bra that yellows over time, since my car is white, that would really suck...
Old 07-22-2014, 06:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
2k is really high. I got an estimate of $750 to do the front of my car.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E63 S
Originally Posted by AMGPower88
Plus, in the end, if I get a bad "lemon" clear bra that yellows over time, since my car is white, that would really suck...

It does sound expensive, but they do a decent job of keeping the paint chips away.

Never seen them yellow, but around here, they have a lifetime guarantee. So if there is any problem, they recover at no charge.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:50 AM

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
2014 C63 AMG 507 sedan
Films are higher quality nowadays so the chance that it will yellow are slim. You protect it the same way you do painted surfaces, with wax. I just had the front bumper done when I bought it. It's held up pretty well the last 2 years. I think I paid <$200 on mine.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
This and that.
I have it and while it's not literally yellow there is some discolouration that you can see and that shows the colour difference on the white car. However, you can always wax and clean that part to maintain it for as long as possible. Shouldn't be paying more than $600 or so just for the front part. I have 3/4 of my hood wrapped, the whole front, side mirrors and bottom quarter panels. Essentially wherever there is a risk of chips.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 c63
I myself have the clear bra and its been one of the best investments ever. I got it the day i purchased the car and its been 4 years since the bra has been on the car. No yellowing, no rips and its done a phenonimal job of protecting everything. The freeway i take to work has tons of dump trucks on it always spewing out rocks and dirt and the bra has protected the car from all the abuse.

I paid $900 to do the front half of the car, headlights and fogs but its really been worth it. And after 4 years, you cant even tell its on the car, ive attached a pic to show you where the bra starts and even after 4 years, you cant see it, hopefully that helps you in making your decision.
Attached Thumbnails How many of you guys have clear bra?-clear_bra1.png  
Old 07-22-2014, 03:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
I just got quoted $750 at the place I got my windows tinted at.. Not bad. They would do the whole front end, side skirts, rear bumper and trunk, the full kit. However, I do already have a few small rock chips on the front bumper, does it still make sense to do this clear bra?
Old 07-22-2014, 05:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 C63 AMG 507 Edition
Originally Posted by AMGPower88
I just got quoted $750 at the place I got my windows tinted at.. Not bad. They would do the whole front end, side skirts, rear bumper and trunk, the full kit. However, I do already have a few small rock chips on the front bumper, does it still make sense to do this clear bra?

That's a great deal...go for it
Old 07-22-2014, 11:16 PM

MB
Originally Posted by KINGPIN 007
I myself have the clear bra and its been one of the best investments ever. I got it the day i purchased the car and its been 4 years since the bra has been on the car. No yellowing, no rips and its done a phenonimal job of protecting everything. The freeway i take to work has tons of dump trucks on it always spewing out rocks and dirt and the bra has protected the car from all the abuse.

I paid $900 to do the front half of the car, headlights and fogs but its really been worth it. And after 4 years, you cant even tell its on the car, ive attached a pic to show you where the bra starts and even after 4 years, you cant see it, hopefully that helps you in making your decision.
Have you gotten any rock chips past those areas of clearbra on the hood and fenders? I am thinking of doing full hood, fenders, bumper, side skirts, because these are high impact areas and in NY there's just rocks and sand all over the ground and other cars kick up so much crap as well as the tires on the C63 kick up rocks and debris on to those areas. Then again I can't repair my paint like standard paint as it is matte and if anyone knows about it you know you can't spot repair nothing, not even the slightest scratch or chip. I got quoted $1700, I'm not sure yet if I'm going to pull the trigger
Old 07-23-2014, 01:33 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
'18 Audi A4
That's way too high unless that was a quote for the entire car, full hood, doors and so forth. I got it done on my corvette within 100 miles of ownership. Great at protecting those high impact areas and protecting the paint job. It's been on for 2 years now, you have to really look hard to see that it is there and I usually point out to people who don't believe it's on. Great investment to protect your car.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:18 PM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2011 C63
I have one, but I call it a Bro or a Manzier. Oops, you mean one for your car, never mind!
Old 07-23-2014, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
Originally Posted by LakeShow23
Have you gotten any rock chips past those areas of clearbra on the hood and fenders? I am thinking of doing full hood, fenders, bumper, side skirts, because these are high impact areas and in NY there's just rocks and sand all over the ground and other cars kick up so much crap as well as the tires on the C63 kick up rocks and debris on to those areas. Then again I can't repair my paint like standard paint as it is matte and if anyone knows about it you know you can't spot repair nothing, not even the slightest scratch or chip. I got quoted $1700, I'm not sure yet if I'm going to pull the trigger

I would do the full hood if I was redoing it. I have the same amount on the hood as shown in that picture and I noticed a rock chip on the hood towards a side above the clear bra area. It was fairly decent sized as well and I noticed it right away when I was washing the car. Luckily I had the touch up paint from my dealer and quickly touched up the 'blackness' of the chip, but of course the bump is still there. But at least it's less visible now.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 AMG C63 edition 1 sedan, Toytota Tacoma, Ford F250 Diesel, Honda CBR600RR, Suzuki GSXR 600
I had one on my first BMW (as a lease) and it did a great job of protecting the paint job. I was going to put one on the new C63 but the matte finish didnt look good with the glossy bra.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:07 AM

MB
Originally Posted by k00lhand
I had one on my first BMW (as a lease) and it did a great job of protecting the paint job. I was going to put one on the new C63 but the matte finish didnt look good with the glossy bra.
They now make matte clear bra made for matte cars. So is any rock chips or anything that may happen to your front end going to bother you especially with matte paint?
Old 07-24-2014, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
My whole car is Matte Clear Bra'd, with the exception of the CF pieces which are Glossy clear bra'd.

Matte clear bra looks great on a non matte car too for those that are considering it.

Old 07-24-2014, 01:04 AM

MB
Originally Posted by rage2
My whole car is Matte Clear Bra'd, with the exception of the CF pieces which are Glossy clear bra'd.

Matte clear bra looks great on a non matte car too for those that are considering it.

Looks amazing!! Can't even tell one bit! I would love to do the whole car also but the price might be a considerable factor. How much did the full car wrap run you if you don't mind me asking?
Old 07-24-2014, 01:13 AM

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
2012 C63 AMG P31
I have it applied on the front half of my car, it really is a great investment as Kingpin mentioned.

Try to go for the 3M films as they are quality. You have to exercise some care when washing your car as well, specifically, do not use a high pressure hose on the sections where you have the film applied, and use a good quality cleaner wax to keep the film looking good.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
Looks amazing!! Can't even tell one bit! I would love to do the whole car also but the price might be a considerable factor. How much did the full car wrap run you if you don't mind me asking?
Ranges from $4-5k depending on the car. It's mostly labor (I believe the material cost was around $1500), every panel needs to be custom applied and cut by hand.

Originally Posted by Cohen63
I have it applied on the front half of my car, it really is a great investment as Kingpin mentioned.
Especially on Matte paint. If you get a chip on matte paint, you can't spot paint like normal paint, you have to repaint the whole thing. Plus, color matching matte paint is tough, and panels are resprayed several times to match.

That's why I refuse to buy a car with matte paint, and rather just spend the $4-5k to wrap the whole thing with matte clear bra to matte out the original color. It's the same effect, and maintenance is 1000x easier. Bonus is that it protects the paint from rock chips. Door dings are protected too, as it usually just breaks the film, and paintless dent repair will return it to normal. It's a lot cheaper to replace a clear bra on a door than to respray if I went with Matte paint.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:57 PM

2014 C63 507
Is that the C BS in the video on the Shadow Tint site in Calgary?
Old 07-24-2014, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
^Yup that's the one.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 BS, GLA45
I didn't know that video was still on their site, but ya, that's the car. They've done all my cars for the last decade. The CBS was the first one I decided to try and do a timelapse video.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:01 AM

2012 AMG C63 edition 1 sedan, Toytota Tacoma, Ford F250 Diesel, Honda CBR600RR, Suzuki GSXR 600
They now make matte clear bra made for matte cars. So is any rock chips or anything that may happen to your front end going to bother you especially with matte paint?
Ill have to try and find a company local here to do it. The dealer only offered the clear bra. I did buy it but when I took it in to put it on it looked really bad.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:18 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'10 F150 FX4 SCrew. '14 S212S
Another full matte wrap Shadow Tint satisfied customer. I also got them to wrap all the chrome on the window surrounds, door handles, hatch grab handle and roof rails with gloss black 3M vinyl. It the way the "Night Package" should have come from the factory.

Tail lights have a layer of tint and then a layer of matte wrap.

How many of you guys have clear bra?-272a3428_zps4142bb25.jpg

How many of you guys have clear bra?-272a3431_zps400e8e7a.jpg