C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

How Do You Feel About Car Covers? Rust????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 05:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
How Do You Feel About Car Covers? Rust????

I kind of subscribe to the philosophy that even an excellent outdoor car cover will create a great environment for rust, oxidation and scratches to the paint from wind rubbing.

Toying with the idea of getting a decent outdoor cover for her, BUT I had a neighbor once that taught me a valuable lesson. He was brain dead in the common sense department.

He had this chopper/motorcycle in his drive way. He got a cover for it. I noticed he tossed the cover on it for a couple weeks. It rained a couple times. Next time he took the cover off it looked like hell. Rust spots and oxidation on the chrome and I remember thinking "he would have been better off not using the cover..... as the materials can breathe and dry properly instead of trapping the moisture"

So what do you think about car covers outside? Good protection from the sun and elements or asking for trouble in the long run......?
Old 07-23-2014, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C63
I have stopped using them on anything built newer than 2000, no point really. I have yet to keep a car over 10 years and most warranties cover rust. If you don't have garage space it may be worth it for the interior or if you have trees/birds overhead. I am too lazy to bother with them.
The last car I had a cover for a Baja Beetle.. it didn't have all the windows. So was kind of a good idea I thought but like the motorcycle it rusted in numerous spots. But the car moved from that spot only twice a year.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB
Car covers are terrible. If you have enough space build a canopy/tent of some sort in the driveway for the same $200-300 a OEM car cover costs.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Right now I have one car outside, covered, and two in the garage. Any time any of them spend more than three days outside I throw a cover on after giving the car a quick wash. I'll take that over uncovered any day. There are a number of good materials to choose from these days. Rust?...NFW.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Truck, 2014 C63 AMG 507
I've used them over the years and really don't like the way they hold moisture underneath. Yes they 'breath' but even after a day of dry weather if I remove the cover there will be droplets of water on the car. So it stands to reason the undercarriage also stays damp longer.

I do currently have 507 under cover in the front yard as I wait for my garage floor concrete to cure. By Saturday it'll be parked inside. I wouldn't use a cover at all but I have a farm and with it comes lots of critters that I'd prefer do not stand on the bare car.