C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Any C63 converts to F80/F82 M3/M4?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 10:34 PM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
C63
Any C63 converts to F80/F82 M3/M4?

I decided to jump ship and putting my deposit on euro delivery tomorrow on a Yas Marina Blue M3. Love love love my C63, but new toy, slightly better mpg, FLARED out rear fenders, and my car being out of warranty is making me switch.

Anyone else making the switch?

With Eurocharged down the street I wanna see what Jerry can do with this car.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Congratulations!

I dipped my toe in the water as I recently test drove the F82 M4.

A few thoughts:

In short, I was floored (in a good way).

For the test drive, the steering was in "Sport" and the transmission was set to the most aggressive automatic setting. I also dabbled around with the "Manual" mode as well.

Torque: This car is a torque monster. There are gobs and gobs of torque down low in the rev range. I had no trouble whatsoever lighting up the traction control (which was fairly intrusive). The car really throws you back into the seat and keeps you there. As a daily driver, it will be a much better car than the E9X (in my humble opinion). There is just flat out more "usable" power/torque across the rev range.

Throttle Response: The throttle response is very sensitive and crisp. There really isn't any lag. The car responds immediately to the driver's input(s). The throttle response felt entirely different (i.e., better/more aggressive) than what I experienced in my previous tuned F30 M Sport 335i.

The throttle does not feel quite as "linear" as the throttle response in the C63 but that is to be expected. This is a fairly "high strung" turbocharged inline 6. Simply put, you know you are in a sports coupe/sedan when your right foot engages the throttle.

Seats: The seats are very comfortable. They are much better than the F30's seats (they're miles better than the E9X's seats, too, IMO) but not nearly as heavily bolstered as the C63 sedan's seats. Depending on your size, this attribute may be a blessing or a curse. The leather is very soft and supple. The Silverstone interior was showing dye transfer. I have concerns about how this leather will wear over time.

Transmission: The DCT transmission is absolutely phenomenal. It's still a bit jerkier around town than the MCT but handily outshines the MCT in M Mode. When you grab a shift, it is there. The upshifts are so smooth that they're almost imperceptible. In short, I was absolutely blown away by this version of the M-DCT.

AMG really needs to dump the MCT and outsource its transmissions like BMW M does.

Sound: First, it is hard to beat the throaty roar of a V8 at 6,000+ rpm.

Second, videos of the M3/M4 do not do the car's exhaust note/engine noise ANY justice whatsoever. I thought the car sounded like a weed whacker but in person, the car sounds pretty damn special.

I had a chance to really open the car up today and I was absolutely blown away by the exhaust sound of the M4. When you analyze the sound in isolation, it is really spectacular. It is loud, it is mechanical, and very fitting of an M car. To me, the sound represented the essence of the M3's/M4's character and history.

The overrun "pop" this car produces WILL scare small women and children. Backing off the pedal/engine braking in lower gears (e.g., 2nd or 3rd) also produces some wonderful crackles and burbles.

Accelerating on the highway, with the windows down, I could still hear both the engine and the exhaust. The induction noise was wonderful and it sounded like there was a chainsaw loose in the backseat (I mean this in a good way).

Relative to my previous F30 335i, the car has an angrier, more aggressive exhaust note.

I don't mind the Active Sound. Overall, both the engine noise and exhaust note fit the character of the car very well. I am sure that an aftermarket exhaust would improve the noise factor even more.

Does the M4's exhaust sound as manic/loud as the exhaust on my C63? Not quite, no.

But, in no way does that mean that the car's exhaust sounds bad. Quite the contrary, I think that the M engineers nailed the sound. Considering that the car is equipped with a twin-turbocharged inline 6, both the motor and exhaust sound absolutely incredible.

Steering: The steering feel is more precise than the steering on the F30. Period. Turn-in is a joy. In S and S+, the steering is plenty firm. I honestly couldn't believe that the car had an electric steering setup. The "Sport" steering setup was absolutely perfect for me. Plenty firm without feeling artificially heavy.

The C63's steering weight remains consistently heavy, irrespective of driving "mode." Furthermore, the weight/resistance increases as the input increases (both at low and high speeds). The M4's steering had a little more heft at the outset/beginning of a particular steering input. However, I was able to get used to the feeling rather quickly.

The M4's steering does feel a bit on the artificial side (in comparison to the hydraulic setup on the C63) when it comes to transmitting feedback/road feel through the car's front wheels/tires. Some of the road imperfections are dialed out. Depending on what you like in a steering setup, this could be a positive or a negative. Because the M4's steering weight and precision were both so good, the slight loss of feedback was not a big deal to me.

Handling/Suspension/Chassis: This is where the car really shines (not surprisingly). Any minor gripes are dispatched of here. My F30 felt skittish, floaty, and unsettled, even during daily driving. The F82 feels rock solid and planted . . . everywhere. The car is supremely balanced and feels light on its feet. The car felt lighter than my C63.

I induced power oversteer a few times (which is insanely easy to do because of the mountains of torque) and it is very, very easy to control the car and reign the rear end back in. The car responds predictably and doesn't snap back with as much violence as the C63 does.

Brakes: The car I drove had the standard brakes. They are absolutely perfect. I have had these calipers before and was impressed by them on the F30. They are even better paired with the M4's cross-drilled rotors. There is very little . . . actually . . . there is no slop during the brake pedal's initial travel. The pedal feel is firm and confidence-inspiring. At first, it felt like the brakes were an on/off switch, clamping down hard even in the first 1/3 of the brake pedal travel. As I got used to the pedal though, I found the brakes very easy to modulate. Damn those brakes have some serious bite.

Note: We all know that the C63 has absolutely fantastic brakes. The M4's brake hardware, although smaller, is every bit as good as the hardware on the AMG. In my opinion, the CCBs are overkill/eye candy.

Looks: The car looks very wide and powerful in person. The front and rear fender flares are monstrous. The front end looks menacing/angry. I am an absolute sucker for cars with wide, gaping front air dams and the M4 satisfies this criterion with ease. Silverstone is an absolutely beautiful/classy color. The 19" wheels looked awesome in person.

My only knock on the car visually is the rear. It looks like sort of an afterthought. The exhaust tips look kind of "American" too, if that makes sense. I wish there was a more prominent rear diffuser and more color contrast at the rear.

I'm sure the aftermarket can dress up the rear a bit. Straight, non-slant cut exhaust tips would look better too, IMHO.

Overall, the M4 felt like a proper M car.

AMG has its work cut out for it but I have faith that the W205 C63 will be a home run also.

Things that worry me about the W205: Single-piston sliding calipers in the rear; a steering column-mounted gear selector; seats WITHOUT integrated headrests (haven't seen one mule with sporty, one-piece seats similar to those found in the W204); another go around with the lackluster MCT.

Things that excite me about the W205: The 220+ lb weight reduction; the 4.0L biturbo V8; the introduction of the "S" model; the absolutely world-class interior.

A couple of M4 photos:

Any C63 converts to F80/F82 M3/M4?-34652e3f-cc93-4533-8447-9f973ced5750_zps15a94204.jpg

Any C63 converts to F80/F82 M3/M4?-bb193e51-090e-45d2-8601-ef855aea0f58_zps629fdbcf.jpg

Any C63 converts to F80/F82 M3/M4?-2a99bd4b-73ae-4a9f-bbd6-09cd3a8c0049_zps45323137.jpg
Old 07-26-2014, 12:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 C63 AMG
Congrats on your new purchase!

Good choice on the color as well. Yas Marina Blue is absolutely stunning.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
There is one M4 locally that i will try to drive test as well. It has the carbon ceramic brakes and a CF roof! I think I prefer the sedan better. Either way it looks like BMW made up for its lack of competitiveness in the E9X.
Why didn't you buy it zibby?
Old 07-26-2014, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by abcut973
Why didn't you buy it zibby?
I'm a sedan guy. If I went the BMW route, I would order the F80. Plus, this particular car had Silverstone interior (almost white) and it had all kinds of stains (dye transfer) on it already. Black or Sakhir Orange (red) would be the interior choice for me.

I will be keeping the W204 C63 for a long time, regardless of whether I add an F80 or W205 down the line. The C63 sounds better, and the motor feels more special. It still pulls harder than the F80/F82, particularly at 5,500 rpm and beyond.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
2011 bmw 335i, 2014 c63
Test drove the f80 m3 sometime last week. Didn't really enjoy it. Test drove a 2014 c64 yesterday. Let's just just working all my long hours is going to finally pay off hopefully tomorrow if not next week
Old 08-05-2014, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Did test drove the M4 today and I was surprised by the outcome. The exhaust sound was better than what I was expecting. You can hear it through the interior pretty well. Isn't that the sound through the HP? I had the radio OFF so I don't how this works. But if it was the real exhaust sound not amplified by whatsoever it would be a proper M sound. Not as loud as our C63 but enjoyable. I must admit warm start was a bit weak.
Other than that I have the exact same impressions as Zibby so no need to duplicate post. I'm a sedan guy as well but that M4 is pretty nice balanced.
What if I lease one until the new W205 AMG comes out?
Old 08-05-2014, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by abcut973
Did test drove the M4 today and I was surprised by the outcome. The exhaust sound was better than what I was expecting. You can hear it through the interior pretty well. Isn't that the sound through the HP? I had the radio OFF so I don't how this works. But if it was the real exhaust sound not amplified by whatsoever it would be a proper M sound. Not as loud as our C63 but enjoyable. I must admit warm start was a bit weak.
Other than that I have the exact same impressions as Zibby so no need to duplicate post. I'm a sedan guy as well but that M4 is pretty nice balanced.
What if I lease one until the new W205 AMG comes out?
Pretty amazing car, isn't it?

Like you said, videos don't do the car's sound(s) any justice.

The Active Sound accounts for less than 5% of what you hear in the cabin so what you were experiencing was "real." The Active Sound thing really gets blown out of proportion.

Here is what the car sounds like with the M Performance Exhaust:

Old 08-05-2014, 04:14 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
Some recent tests
Car & Driver 12.4/116
0-150 23.3 sec

Road & Teack 12.3/115
0-150 23.3

Consistent and in line with all published tests to date
Motor Trend, sportauto, etc.

I agree the sedan looks better which is the opposite of the e9x series

For reference the Dec 2007 C&D had the 451 HP C63 at
12.3/116
0-150 22.8
Not too shabby for over 6 years ago

Last edited by Ingenieur; 08-05-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 184 Posts
C63 AMG
I love the M3! The stout look of the sedan just does it for me!

While I understand the new M3/4 have a lot more TQ compared to the E9X generation. Its only catching up to its competition.

Looks are subjective - I still look back every time at my C63 and that's a 6-7 year old body shape. I asked myself before purchasing the C63. What do I want in a long term build car. Yes I purchased the C63 simply because of the potential it has in the aftermarket.

The M3/M4 are more modern, but that's not what I wanted in a car. I wanted a beast of an engine and build quality to match. I think I got that with the C63. To me there is no solid reason to consider the M3/4 in the near future.

PS: I do know they are apparently knocking on 500WHP's door with a simple tune. That's huge for the guys just looking for big power.
Old 08-05-2014, 05:36 PM
SPONSOR

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
C190 GT C
Yup the new M3 and M4 is one amazing car. 500whp with just a tune..Tune +E30 is good for 550whp. Basically full bolt ons you're looking at a 700hp which is crazy for an M3. just 10 years ago the M3 barely had 300hp.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63 AMG
The new m4 looks promising. But I would wait couple years to see what kinds of competition c63 and rs5 offers before I make my decision
Old 08-05-2014, 10:08 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
2018 C63S
Always been the fan of the 4 door m's more then the 2 doors

Personally the F80 M3 looks better then the F83 M4 to me.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C55 AMG, 300D-T & Karmann Ghia
I hate the extra manufacturer codes this generation, why not just F30 M3 and F32 M4 designations like earlier generations...
-rant over
Old 08-06-2014, 02:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The new M3/4 is an amazing machine. I am just glad that they went with the turbo 6 cylinder engine and left the V8 engine for the M5/M6.

Last edited by AutohausAZ-Mike; 08-06-2014 at 03:15 PM.