led turn signals, eyelids, flickering - sometimes doesn't turn off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
'10 C63
led turn signals, eyelids, flickering - sometimes doesn't turn off

i've had led turn signals and led eyelids on my car for a very long time and other than the occasional flicker eyelids which i was told was usually an install issue, i haven't had a problem until now.

i've started to notice that all 4 led eyelids are having issues. the eyelid leds are aznoptics and they haven't been this weird before. but even if they were the issue, either readjusting them or replacing them would fix it.

today i noticed while at a light with my turn signal on that my turn signal was flickering while signaling... kind of strobe like... later i checked the other side and they were both doing it. i turned on my hazards and eye lids and the signals were flickering while some of the eyelids would either be off all together while 1 or 2 of them would flicker... i walked around to the tail lights and they seem to be working fine.

so i'm not sure what this issue is... and i'm afraid if i go to the dealer, they will just tell me that it's probably the led replacements i've used... even though i haven't had a problem until now with over 70k miles...

and last week the strangest thing happened... while standing around the car chatting with some friends, a friend noticed that my passenger side eyelids were flickering... my car wasn't even on... it was still locked up... i was like wtf... so i went over and opened the door and the light switch was in the off position... so it was on "O" and not auto... while the car was still off, i turned it to auto and they said the eyelid turned off, and then i switched it back to O and they said it's back on... ... we then drove somewhere else and after turning the car off i checked again before leaving and this time it wasn't doing it... then after i got home i checked again and it was doing it... the eyelids were pretty much on or flickering on the passenger side only... i then walked around to the back and the bottom part of the rear passenger tail light was also on... ...

i'm wondering if this is some electrical issue since for a while now i've noticed issues with my back up camera... i'm not sure if they are related at all, but i've had times when i'm backing the car up and the camera flickers sometimes... on one occasion i've seen the camera actually turn off but the words "check entire surroundings" was still on the screen... and another time i reversed out of a parking spot and then put it in drive and the screen didn't go back to my radio screen and stayed on the back up camera screen but with no picture... and i drove about a mile like that and it didn't go away until i restarted the car...

all these back up camera issues i've reported to my dealer and they looked at the issue on 3 different trips there and on this last time they updated the software... well after i picked up the car, it still did it... but i wasn't able to catch it on camera... usually anytime this type of thing happens, i pull out my phone and video record it so i have proof that something is actually happening... so they can't be like "we found no issue" or "we could not duplicate the issue"...

i'm sorry this post became longer than expected... i have extended warranty but i don't want them to turn me away while trying to blame the led lights in the front
Old 07-29-2014, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 Estate
First thing i would try (and i know its a PIA), but remove all the aftermarket LED stuff, and put your regular bulbs back in. See if the issue still happens.

The thing about LED stuff, is they dont last.
I had similar issues in my old BMW 7 Series. Interior LEDs flickering. I had enough, ripped them all out, went back to normal bulbs.

LED's just dont last unfortunately.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 Estate
When i say dont last, i mean, i know they have a longer shelf life than normal bulbs, i meant the cheap construction associated with the LED's that one buys.

Gotta get the good ones, like the ones that manufacturers use (like Lexus). Though, those ones probably dont have the CANBUS error free resistors, as their electrical systems would have been manufactured to cope with them.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:37 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
LED's have a low bias voltage (the point above which they conduct current, ie, turn on), usually 0.7 VDC
this may get lower over time with wear of other associated components, resistors, etc.

our cars (as most modern ones do) put out a small supervisory voltage/current to check for continuity through the bulb and wiring (it's your 'bulb out' warning system)
this may be enough to turn the LED's on, or right at the threshhold so they flicker
Old 07-29-2014, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
replace headlamp switch
Old 07-30-2014, 12:26 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 AMG FBO, 2014 E63 AMG S
Replace all the leds with regular bulbs and see if the problem continues.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
i could probably believe the problem are the led lights... but what makes it unbelievable is that all of a sudden the parking lights and the signal lights are all doing it and pretty much started at the same time...

but i'll probably try replacing the bulbs back to stock... that'll be fun...
Old 07-30-2014, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 c63 P30
Originally Posted by bluejae
i've had led turn signals and led eyelids on my car for a very long time and other than the occasional flicker eyelids which i was told was usually an install issue, i haven't had a problem until now.

i've started to notice that all 4 led eyelids are having issues. the eyelid leds are aznoptics and they haven't been this weird before. but even if they were the issue, either readjusting them or replacing them would fix it.

today i noticed while at a light with my turn signal on that my turn signal was flickering while signaling... kind of strobe like... later i checked the other side and they were both doing it. i turned on my hazards and eye lids and the signals were flickering while some of the eyelids would either be off all together while 1 or 2 of them would flicker... i walked around to the tail lights and they seem to be working fine.

so i'm not sure what this issue is... and i'm afraid if i go to the dealer, they will just tell me that it's probably the led replacements i've used... even though i haven't had a problem until now with over 70k miles...

and last week the strangest thing happened... while standing around the car chatting with some friends, a friend noticed that my passenger side eyelids were flickering... my car wasn't even on... it was still locked up... i was like wtf... so i went over and opened the door and the light switch was in the off position... so it was on "O" and not auto... while the car was still off, i turned it to auto and they said the eyelid turned off, and then i switched it back to O and they said it's back on... ... we then drove somewhere else and after turning the car off i checked again before leaving and this time it wasn't doing it... then after i got home i checked again and it was doing it... the eyelids were pretty much on or flickering on the passenger side only... i then walked around to the back and the bottom part of the rear passenger tail light was also on... ...

i'm wondering if this is some electrical issue since for a while now i've noticed issues with my back up camera... i'm not sure if they are related at all, but i've had times when i'm backing the car up and the camera flickers sometimes... on one occasion i've seen the camera actually turn off but the words "check entire surroundings" was still on the screen... and another time i reversed out of a parking spot and then put it in drive and the screen didn't go back to my radio screen and stayed on the back up camera screen but with no picture... and i drove about a mile like that and it didn't go away until i restarted the car...

all these back up camera issues i've reported to my dealer and they looked at the issue on 3 different trips there and on this last time they updated the software... well after i picked up the car, it still did it... but i wasn't able to catch it on camera... usually anytime this type of thing happens, i pull out my phone and video record it so i have proof that something is actually happening... so they can't be like "we found no issue" or "we could not duplicate the issue"...

i'm sorry this post became longer than expected... i have extended warranty but i don't want them to turn me away while trying to blame the led lights in the front
The same thing happened to me, but I still had my stock bulbs in. I was walking towards my car after work, and noticed my passenger side eyebrow was flickering. Like you my car was locked and the light toggle was in the Off position I'm guessing it's just an electrical glitch.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Originally Posted by an_DREW
The same thing happened to me, but I still had my stock bulbs in. I was walking towards my car after work, and noticed my passenger side eyebrow was flickering. Like you my car was locked and the light toggle was in the Off position I'm guessing it's just an electrical glitch.
i was hoping there would be someone else with the same problem... i had a feeling it wasn't the led bulbs...

have you ever reported it to your dealer?
Old 07-30-2014, 04:42 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
As someone said (I think he is a tech) try replacing the switch if not brutally $$$$
Old 07-30-2014, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
found this info on another site
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w204...t-problem.html

sounds like roadtalontsi was right

thanks! going to have the dealer either perform the update but i would rather them replace the headlight switch since i've also had some of the other issues that others have said... where my headlight would randomly come on and off during the day/night...
Old 07-30-2014, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
Originally Posted by bluejae
found this info on another site
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w204...t-problem.html

sounds like roadtalontsi was right

thanks! going to have the dealer either perform the update but i would rather them replace the headlight switch since i've also had some of the other issues that others have said... where my headlight would randomly come on and off during the day/night...
Old 07-30-2014, 11:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 c63
I have the azn optics setup and i had the exact same problem with you had myself just a few months ago. My driver side eye brow was flickering, and eventually all 4 went out and now my side marker is out too. Also this is my second set of the azn optics lights in the last 2.5 years as my first set started to do that and once i replaced the bulbs they held up fine until just recently. I put my stock bulbs in last week and they were still flickering here and there.

The next weekend, mercedes fixed my tail light as it had the whole recall problem with the wires melting. Once they fixed that problem, that seemed to have fixed my eyebrow problem as well as now all 4 stock bulbs are lighting up now without any problems. Im going to replace them with some more azn optic bulbs now to see if they still have the problem.

So maybe the recall tail light problem that was fixed might have fixed the whole electrical problem but im not 100% sure, just a guess at this moment.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
yeah... i'm telling them about the taillights being a possible issue as well... but i had the tail lights repaired already but it was before the official recall... so i'm not sure if that means they would have replaced it with the older parts or the newer parts for the recall... this was back in december 2013

Last edited by bluejae; 08-02-2014 at 11:02 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:53 AM

C63 AMG
It's a very common issue when introducing LEDs in a system not designed for them. Being an overall car enthusiast, I have seen this issue many times from led headlamps, fogs, signals, etc. take out the LEDs and problem solved. Your LEDs need to be the same resistance as the stock bulbs. There is more to it if you google the subject you'll see.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Originally Posted by Heath T
It's a very common issue when introducing LEDs in a system not designed for them. Being an overall car enthusiast, I have seen this issue many times from led headlamps, fogs, signals, etc. take out the LEDs and problem solved. Your LEDs need to be the same resistance as the stock bulbs. There is more to it if you google the subject you'll see.
true but if you look at post#8, you will see that this issue happens even with stock bulbs...
Old 08-05-2014, 02:37 AM

C320 CDI
Flickering right eyebrow

I have just bought my 2008 C320 CDI last month. Last week I walked into the garage and the right side eyebrow was flickering. The light switch was in the O (off) position, and the 'key' was not in the ignition. The bulbs are the standard ex-factory bulbs. I put the switch to A (auto) and they seemed to stop flickering, but i'm not sure if that was the problem. off should be off!
Are you guys saying it could be a tail-light issue?