C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Break in procedure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 01:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C63 AMG 507
Break in procedure

Hi guys! I'm new to this forum, just got a black 507 edition.

I'm thinking about babying it the first 1000 miles (keep it under 4500 rpm). The first oil change is scheduled at 20,000 miles, I'm probably gonna do it at around 5000 just for the heck of it.

Just wanted to know your opinions/thoughts about this. I know some people say "drive it as you stole it" from day one but I kind of doubt that this is the best way to break in a merc, even though it's very tempting to floor it (takes a lot of self control not to).
Old 08-02-2014, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
That's the best way to break it in. Drive it like you stole it.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 289 Posts
'10 C63
Pretty sure the first oil change should be 10,000 miles. 20k is far too long. Whatever you decide, make sure you let the oil warm up properly first. Hammering cold oil is a great way to improperly break in a new motor
Old 08-02-2014, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
There is no first oil change other than the scheduled 20k. There is a first diff oil change at 2000 or 3000k since you have a LSD. Check your manual.

Agreed on oil temps, drive it like you stole it once oil passes 80C.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:51 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
S550 on order
I agree with rage...drive it like you stole it..it'll run and perform better, I just had my wavetrac diff put in and I beat the hell out of it the last few hundred K..why go easy on machines? They don't have emotions
Old 08-02-2014, 02:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 C63
I just finished my break-in period and I followed the book. Didn't pass 85mph and didn't pass 4500rpm. With the miles I drive it hasn't taken long so now I can drive it like I stole it without doubting myself for beating it right out the gate.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:26 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
I can't believe first oil change is at 20k miles

As far as break in, with modern machinery/ tolerances not as critical as before
Never push until oil is hot >180 F
Use gradual throttle, load it up gradually
First 1000 miles <5000 rpm
Next 1000 explore > 5000
Try to vary engine speeds
Do an oil change and let loose

My sevice book says oil at 10000 or 1 year, whichever comes first
Mine is a 2009 oil changes at:
4000 miles 1 year
8000 miles 1 year
10000 miles 1 year
14000 1 year
20000 1 year

Last edited by Ingenieur; 08-02-2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:35 PM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2011 C63
I've read that the engine really doesn't need a break-in period, but the rear end gears do.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:43 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
My manual has specific proceedures
Although they spelled 'break' as 'brake' in the index
It has additional instructions for AMG's
Old 08-02-2014, 03:45 PM

2014 C63 AMG 507
I totally agree on the engine warm up, never push it until working temperature. But I tend to agree with Panzer; there was even a sticker in the window saying: 0-1500 miles < 4500 rpm, I guess the engineers put it there for some reason. Obviously the pistons will hone the cylinder walls a bit during the break in period. Considering the size of these pistons, hurling them close to redline will most certainly cause some excessive vibrations and hence the honing process will not be as exact. That's my theory.
Old 08-02-2014, 03:48 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
All moving machine parts need lapping/mated to each other
People used to do Colt 45 ACP's slide to frame by hand
Work them back and forth by hand keeping them well oil
Old 08-02-2014, 04:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
I completely agree. I believe everything mechanical needs a break-in process for moving parts of different material to shave and mate.

I'm just stuck on the 20k mile before an oil change thing. I mean no matter how great the car is, the oil starts to break down around 8k miles and it loses important properties of lubrication.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
20,000 miles is crazy

http://www.mbusa.com/vcm/MB/DigitalA...ce_Booklet.pdf

2014 maintenance booklet
10,000 miles or 1 year
Old 08-02-2014, 05:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W205 C43, C204 C63, & Honda Fit
I drove off the dealership lot doing burnouts (oil temp was high enough), and broke the car in by melting tires mostly in ortega highway. No issues whatsoever. I've done the same with every car I've ever bought new: Drive it like you stole it.*

As others stated, first service for C63 is 10K miles or 1 year whichever comes first.

*Always respect traffic laws and please don't drink and drive.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:21 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by OC6.3AMG
I drove off the dealership lot doing burnouts (oil temp was high enough), and broke the car in by melting tires mostly in ortega highway. No issues whatsoever. I've done the same with every car I've ever bought new: Drive it like you stole it.*

As others stated, first service for C63 is 10K miles or 1 year whichever comes first.

*Always respect traffic laws and please don't drink and drive.
We don't know if your 'method' decreased longevity or power
Probably both
But I would advise the OP to follow the instructions in the manual
And personally I would do an oil change after a few k miles

We have a lot of experts and wives tales but I would trust AMG's engineers a bit more lol
Old 08-02-2014, 05:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
Ok, my thinking is that maybe nothing seems abnormal but you've severely decreased engine life.

I look at an engine like a glass of water. You pour out, and out, and out until you have nothing....

You poured out a lot with the burnout break-in.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:25 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
The SAE has papers on break-in procedures
Those that are broken in properly
Limited load and rpm for the first 1000 miles (BMW uses 1200 iirc )
Have lower oil consumption and higher compression than those raped from go

Do people really think the engineer's make this stuff up just to mess with them ?
If we were going to mess with you;
Run to redline under full load on cold oil from the first mile

Last edited by Ingenieur; 08-02-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:40 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by Ingenieur
We don't know if your 'method' decreased longevity or power
Probably both

But I would advise the OP to follow the instructions in the manual
And personally I would do an oil change after a few k miles

We have a lot of experts and wives tales but I would trust AMG's engineers a bit more lol
Probably.*

Originally Posted by -Marlin-
Ok, my thinking is that maybe nothing seems abnormal but you've severely decreased engine life.

I look at an engine like a glass of water. You pour out, and out, and out until you have nothing....

You poured out a lot with the burnout break-in.
Probably.*

The SAE has papers on break-in procedures
Those that are broken in properly
Limited load and rpm for the first 1000 miles (BMW uses 1200 iirc )
Have lower oil consumption and higher compression than those raped from go

Do people really think the engineer's make this stuff up just to mess with them ?
If we were going to mess with you;
Run to redline under full load on cold oil from the first mile
Good advice.

*Doesn't matter much as I don't keep cars past 24 months and I don't plan on setting lap records or 0-60, 1/4 mile records with my cars. I drive my cars to go from point A to point B and back while having fun.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:16 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Probably.*

Probably.*

Good advice.

*Doesn't matter much as I don't keep cars past 24 months and I don't plan on setting lap records or 0-60, 1/4 mile records with my cars. I drive my cars to go from point A to point B and back while having fun.

Probably both
Definitely one or the other

Generally people who don't take care of their possessions didn't earn them so they hold no value to them

It is good advice to follow the mfgs method
We agree
We also agree it is fine to follow your own bad advice but not foist it on others lol

You must be a baller changing cars like shoes
Big difference between having money and wasting money
I keep my cars for 5-10 minutes lol

Last edited by Ingenieur; 08-02-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:41 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
Schneider, E. and Blossfeld, D., "Effect of Break-In and Operating Conditions on Piston Ring and Cylinder Bore Wear in Spark-Ignition Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2917, 2004, doi:10.4271/2004-01-2917.
Author(s):
Eric W. Schneider
Daniel H. Blossfeld
Affiliated:
General Motors Research & Development
Abstract:
A radiotracer method has been developed to measure piston ring and cylinder bore wear rates in spark-ignition (SI) engines. The method has sufficient sensitivity to measure ring and bore wear rates in real time during normal operating conditions. This work reports measurements on the rates of break-in and steady-state wear of piston rings and cylinder bores during a variety of engine operating conditions. Results show that piston ring break-in is minimal and that ring wear rates are constant at steady-state engine operation. The key factor affecting ring wear is engine brake mean effective pressure (BMEP). Ring wear behavior is repeatable for a given engine type and between two different engine designs. Cylinder bore wear rate is dominated by initial break-in, cold-start wear, and changes in operating conditions. Wear of the cylinder bore during steady-state operating conditions is very low when compared to break-in and changes in conditions.

Last edited by Ingenieur; 08-02-2014 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:53 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
I followed break in instructions as well. They're not that hard to follow, jeez. I still had tons of fun driving, and if you happen to go over 4500rpm or 85mph a couple times no big deal. But at least you'll have the comfort knowing that you followed the manufacturer's and engineers' recommendations. And I clocked plenty of miles very quickly and the break in period went by super quick.

People can do all sorts of stupid stuff, and do. But no one, and I mean no one (unless they're an AMG engineer who's studied break-in and worked on the recs themselves) knows what the heck they're talking about if they tell you to ignore what AMG recommends. If they want to drive if like they stole it, then fine. But it just plain ain't smart, period.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:55 PM

Probably both
Definitely one or the other

Generally people who don't take care of their possessions didn't earn them so they hold no value to them

It is good advice to follow the mfgs method
We agree
We also agree it is fine to follow your own bad advice but not foist it on others lol

You must be a baller changing cars like shoes
Big difference between having money and wasting money
I keep my cars for 5-10 minutes lol
Well, here's yet another classic example of people trying to judge others behind their keyboards in a message board.

Not that it's any of your business, but to set the record straight:

About 15 years ago I was almost homeless, yet I was working at Ralphs making min-wage bagging groceries and didn't speak english. I still remember walking 10 miles to work with ingrown toenails on both feet.

You might laugh your as* off reading this, but it's the life I've lived so far. Struggled few more months while learning english and trying to feed my parents (my father tried his best doing odd jobs here and there however he was handicapped with a severe depression just like my mother - Totally a different subject) and three siblings.

Saved up and bought a used bicycle in a local college auction. $7.

I got fired from Ralphs for writing congrats on the employee of the year post on the Bulletin board on top of the clock-in machine (it seems that I destroyed company property even though ten other workers there wrote comments prior to my company property destroying "congrats"). Same day my bicycle got stolen.

Moved on to another grocery store (Wild Oats) and got a job making 40% more than Ralphs. Things started to turn up and couple years later my father's mental illness got worse and he didn't pay the rent for months. Days later we got evicted.

No cars. No where to go. We camped in the nearby park. At this point life wasn't worth living, yet we pushed forward. My younger sister turned 16 a day after eviction and she immediately was able to get a paying job. Weeks past and we get a studio and us six move in. I found an old computer by the trash, pick it up and take it home and try to make sense of it. Weeks later I fix it up to a point that I get online with an AOL 30 days dialup CD (got online with those for over a year lol - a new one came up every other week in the mail).

Internet started becoming an escape from reality for me. Long story short I start picking up some IT jobs here and there on craiglist, etc... and start making crazy money ($100-150 a day). One day fixed this old lady's computer and she refused to pay me the asking rate of $25, and as I said fine pay me what you want. She cut me a check for $400. I still remember that day as it was the day I realized that what I've learned by myself is worth real money.

YES I was a hack. W/o the knowledge I would take on IT jobs and fix people computers on a "learn as you go" basis, but I was fair. If it took me 3 hours to figure out the issue and fix it, I would charge 1 hour.

That sweet old lady called me up and gave me a phone number and an address and said I know the owner of this company and go and see if you can get a job there. They're hiring. I show up, they hire me on the spot making $12 an hour. Now I'm moving on up in the world. STATUS, double digit hourly rate. Can't believe it. (They even gave me insurance which after 5 years of suffering I was able to finally get the needed surgery to resolve the ingrown toe nails)

Ten years later, I'm now Director of IT in that company and lead many bright minds, people with degrees that I can't even pronounce hahaha.

F*** yeah I go through cars faster than I go through shoes (Literally). I support my family anyway I can and live life as if today is my last day.

My apologies to the OP.

P.S. I have a nice bicycle now too.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:58 PM

Ford Truck, 2014 C63 AMG 507
I've broken in allot of engines of my own and allot of LARGE (6,000 + hp) engines at work.

Follow the Merc recommendations. This is common for any high performance engine ecpected to perform like these do.
Also vary the load a bit. Once beyond 1,000 miles gradually increase load.

Just today I drove past the 1,000 mile mark in my AMG 507 and its been a blast.

Also, check your oil. You'll likely be low before hitting the 1,000 mi mark.

Have Fun !!
Old 08-02-2014, 08:00 PM
Banned

C63 AMG
I think I hit a nerve lol
I believe everything people say on the web
Sorry dood, I'm not reading that diatrabe
I'm just a poor boy though my story is seldom told....
I eek out a meager existence

Synopsis
Fail to follow proper break in methods and destroy the engine

Well, here's yet another classic example of people trying to judge others behind their keyboards in a message board.

Not that it's any of your business, but to set the record straight:

About 15 years ago I was almost homeless, yet I was working at Ralphs making min-wage bagging groceries and didn't speak english. I still remember walking 10 miles to work with ingrown toenails on both feet.

You might laugh your as* off reading this, but it's the life I've lived so far. Struggled few more months while learning english and trying to feed my parents (my father tried his best doing odd jobs here and there however he was handicapped with a severe depression just like my mother - Totally a different subject) and three siblings.

Saved up and bought a used bicycle in a local college auction. $7.

I got fired from Ralphs for writing congrats on the employee of the year post on the Bulletin board on top of the clock-in machine (it seems that I destroyed company property even though ten other workers there wrote comments prior to my company property destroying "congrats"). Same day my bicycle got stolen.

Moved on to another grocery store (Wild Oats) and got a job making 40% more than Ralphs. Things started to turn up and couple years later my father's mental illness got worse and he didn't pay the rent for months. Days later we got evicted.

No cars. No where to go. We camped in the nearby park. At this point life wasn't worth living, yet we pushed forward. My younger sister turned 16 a day after eviction and she immediately was able to get a paying job. Weeks past and we get a studio and us six move in. I found an old computer by the trash, pick it up and take it home and try to make sense of it. Weeks later I fix it up to a point that I get online with an AOL 30 days dialup CD (got online with those for over a year lol - a new one came up every other week in the mail).

Internet started becoming an escape from reality for me. Long story short I start picking up some IT jobs here and there on craiglist, etc... and start making crazy money ($100-150 a day). One day fixed this old lady's computer and she refused to pay me the asking rate of $25, and as I said fine pay me what you want. She cut me a check for $400. I still remember that day as it was the day I realized that what I've learned by myself is worth real money.

YES I was a hack. W/o the knowledge I would take on IT jobs and fix people computers on a "learn as you go" basis, but I was fair. If it took me 3 hours to figure out the issue and fix it, I would charge 1 hour.

That sweet old lady called me up and gave me a phone number and an address and said I know the owner of this company and go and see if you can get a job there. They're hiring. I show up, they hire me on the spot making $12 an hour. Now I'm moving on up in the world. STATUS, double digit hourly rate. Can't believe it. (They even gave me insurance which after 5 years of suffering I was able to finally get the needed surgery to resolve the ingrown toe nails)

Ten years later, I'm now Director of IT in that company and lead many bright minds, people with degrees that I can't even pronounce hahaha.

F*** yeah I go through cars faster than I go through shoes (Literally). I support my family anyway I can and live life as if today is my last day.

My apologies to the OP.

P.S. I have a nice bicycle now too.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Dude, saying you drove it against manufacturers recommendations and that you've had no issues is like saying you've smoked cigarettes for 15 years and had no issues. It's nonsensical. Even moreso if you're just going to pass it on to someone else (but it's your car, so do as you like with it of course, hence "buyer beware"). Kudos to you for your rags-to-riches success story though

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Break in procedure