Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 375 Likes on 335 Posts
2014 E63 AMGs, 2015 F-150 Lariat, 2010 Porsche C4S
AMG Factory and Mercedes Museum Tours

Hi All,

I was fortunate to be able tour the factory on 7/29. While I'm not sure what I was expecting, it was short on content, which I suppose makes sense given they only do development and engine building.

My Wife and I were met right on time in the reception area by the guide who started by offering up some general historical data about AMG. It was informative and interesting. He reviewed the cars that were in the reception area; S65 sedan, S63 coupe, SLS, and A45. There was also a plexiglass sculpture that somewhat depicted the outline shape of the upcoming GT. At the base of the sculpture was a countdown clock showing a little over 42 days to launch.

We then walked to the engine assembly area, and on the way there, a W205 camouflaged test car drove by and accelerated down the street. While it certainly doesn't have the guttural M156 sound, it did sound pretty good. We also saw another camouflaged car that appeared to be the upcoming GLA Crossover. Another item of note is the fact the factory is comprised of several buildings that are connected to public streets. Anyone can drive through at any time. Only certain areas between buildings are secure.

The assembly process is pretty cool and is clearly based on Lean manufacturing processes. I observed the M157 line and noted one engine sitting off to the side of the line with a cover over it. To confirm the engines are truly one-man-one-machine, anytime the technician leaves an unfinished engine and does not return for his next shift, it is pulled off the line, covered, and waits for his return... no matter how long. No engine is produced in violation of the policy.

We were next ushered into a very small custom configuration room where customers can uniquely configure and color their car.

The last stop was the service area where new cars that are being delivered to customers are final prepped, and an area where customers can bring cars for normal service, or performance upgrades that are available. Off to the side in this building was a G63 and one of the rare G63 6X6, 6 wheel beasts. Quite impressive in size and stance. A side note on the G63/G65, fully 50% of G production are destined to be AMGs.

On the way back to Stuttgart, we were met head-on by three GT camouflaged tests cars heading back to the factory.

I've attached a few photos of areas where photography is allowed.

The next day, we toured the Mercedes Museum in Stuttgart. I highly recommend this to anyone. Great gathering of historical vehicles and displayed in a beautiful building. In the lobby was a huge area that was dedicated to all forms of the new C class (no AMG), where one can review and order up their own. Across from the Museum is a Mercedes office. The parking lot was full of MBs and AMGs. I was able to snap the attached photo of a CLS 63 Shooting Brake.

Regards,

Joe
Attached Thumbnails AMG Factory and Mercedes Museum Tours-cls63sb.jpg   AMG Factory and Mercedes Museum Tours-a45.jpg   AMG Factory and Mercedes Museum Tours-s63.jpg   AMG Factory and Mercedes Museum Tours-s65.jpg  
Old 08-05-2014, 01:08 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
W205 C43, C204 C63, & Honda Fit
It must have been an amazing experience. I'm visiting the Porsche and Mercedes Museum in Stuttgart in Nov and am counting days.

I saw a G63 6X6 in Irvine, near the Irvine Brabus and my S4 looked like a toy car next to it. I can see myself driving one.
Old 08-06-2014, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63 P31, 2012 ML350, 2007 335i E93
As you walk into the Museum from the parking garage adn make a left you go into a giant dealership. First floor has the C Class. as well the A and B Class if I remember correct. You can look up to the 2nd and 3rd floors. E, M and G Class on the 2nd floor. Up on the 3rd floor is AMG and the S and CLS class. All were hands on and you could sit in them. LAst time I was ther they had a Maybach in the lobby as well. The Museum tour is real cool. Its 10 euros. You ride to the top of the building and walk back down through a chronology of their vehicles.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:37 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
Thanks for sharing
Sounds great

I want to do euro delivery on my bucket list lol
Do a selfie with the engine builder
Old 08-06-2014, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 375 Likes on 335 Posts
2014 E63 AMGs, 2015 F-150 Lariat, 2010 Porsche C4S
Originally Posted by Spearsba
As you walk into the Museum from the parking garage adn make a left you go into a giant dealership. First floor has the C Class. as well the A and B Class if I remember correct. You can look up to the 2nd and 3rd floors. E, M and G Class on the 2nd floor. Up on the 3rd floor is AMG and the S and CLS class. All were hands on and you could sit in them. LAst time I was ther they had a Maybach in the lobby as well. The Museum tour is real cool. Its 10 euros. You ride to the top of the building and walk back down through a chronology of their vehicles.

Yeah, I should have mentioned the various floors and models. I was just amazed at how many variants they had on display on the ground floor.