C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

New rear tires advice please.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 02:24 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 C63 PP
New rear tires advice please.

I've got OEM 19" Multispokes with OEM ContiSport Contact 3 tires all round. My rears 255/30/19 need replacing soon and I'm thinking of going to 265/30/19. The main reason I want to go wider is to help prevent curb rash. Are there any disadvantages to going wider? I read somewhere once that a slight difference in diameter may affect traction control? Not sure if this is correct.

Also, I don't need to replace my fronts - they've got plenty of tread left. Would it be okay to get Michelin PSS's for the rears while I've got the Conti's on the front? I never track the car and only do spirited driving on decent roads. Or should I get another set of Conti's and then replace all 4 with PSS's next time around?

How do the PSS's compare with the Conti's? I don't necessarily need more grip than the Conti's and because I live near the city, with tram tacks and uneven roads, comfort is important.

Thanks for any advice you can share.
Old 09-17-2014, 02:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG
PSS are the pinnacle. They are the best street tyre for the C63 imo.
If you only need to replace the rear then match the fronts but with a bigger size.

I'm always for matching front and rear with the same brand. But it's up to you.
If your fronts don't need changing i'd recommend going with a new pair of conti's for the rear.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 507 with BS Body; 2008 SLK 55
Tires are highly subjective. If you want more grip go with 'extreme performance' summer tires like Bridgestone RE 11 or Yokohama Advan Neova 8R. I agree though that same tire front and back is desirable.

However, the traction control issue is definitely a myth. Since my BS body conversion I am running 255 in the front and 295 in the rear with not the slightest issue.
Old 09-17-2014, 10:38 PM

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
2009 c63
Not necessary... purists will tell you to, but the balance of the car will remain with similar performance tires.

My PSS rears are pushing 18k miles after highway and some spirit driving.

By the way, don't drift in the rain with your 11 year old son, he tells Mom.
Old 09-17-2014, 11:45 PM
SPONSOR

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
C190 GT C
As others said PSS are hands down the best street tire but they are pricey! Personally I just run cheap tires because i'm still going to burn through the rears in less than 15k!
Old 09-18-2014, 12:04 AM

AMG
Originally Posted by RW Carbon
As others said PSS are hands down the best street tire but they are pricey! Personally I just run cheap tires because i'm still going to burn through the rears in less than 15k!
+1

I always run good tyres all around but i'll end up changing the rears twice before i have to change the fronts. So putting on some cheapies on the rear is a smart thing. But if you have the funds then put something decent on the rear.

As i said, i recommend you put Conti's on the rear to match the front. Doesn't have to be identical to the fronts as you can find a cheaper conti for the rear.

I always match my brands front and rear. If i run Semi Slicks i'll run the same brand as the fronts but i'll keep normal street tyres on the front.
Old 09-18-2014, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
I've got to put a word in for the Continental ExtremeContact DW (the max performance summer tire, not the "DWS" all-season variant).

These tires ride quiet, ride comfortable, and are pretty sticky for a street tire. Their wet performance has absolutely blown me away. These and the Michelin PSS are hands down my favorite "street" tires.

I've definitely preferred the DW's to the Continental ContiSportContact 5P's (OEM tire). In cooler conditions I experienced a bit of wheel hop with the 5P's. The DW's either hook up or spin a bit before hooking up - no hop.

If you live in a mostly dry climate, you can't beat the PSS on the street. If you see heavy rain, give the DW's a try; I'm thrilled I did.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
i've been running bridgestone re11's since i got the car, but they wear fast as a mother. was gonna go with the PSS next time, but now thinking of going with the michelin as3 ... they have an even higher wear rating than the pss with the same warranty, and are similar price. plus i never track the car and i don't mind some tail-happiness anyway.

Last edited by m a x i m u s; 09-19-2014 at 02:39 AM.
Old 09-19-2014, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30
Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
i've been running bridgestone re11's since i got the car, but they wear fast as a mother. was gonna go with the PSS next time, but now thinking of going with the michelin as3 ... they have an even higher wear rating than the pss with the same warranty, and are similar price. plus i never track the car and i don't mind some tail-happiness anyway.

I'll say this, i've never owned a bridgestone tire on any vehicle that didnt wear out fast. I've sworn off that brand completely.
Old 09-19-2014, 10:14 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 C63
Originally Posted by zibby43
I've got to put a word in for the Continental ExtremeContact DW (the max performance summer tire, not the "DWS" all-season variant).

These tires ride quiet, ride comfortable, and are pretty sticky for a street tire. Their wet performance has absolutely blown me away. These and the Michelin PSS are hands down my favorite "street" tires.

I've definitely preferred the DW's to the Continental ContiSportContact 5P's (OEM tire). In cooler conditions I experienced a bit of wheel hop with the 5P's. The DW's either hook up or spin a bit before hooking up - no hop.

If you live in a mostly dry climate, you can't beat the PSS on the street. If you see heavy rain, give the DW's a try; I'm thrilled I did.
I can vouch for this too! Had a set of Continue DW's and loved them! The only reason I don't have them on now is because my car is a daily driver and I needed an all-season tire to last me a little longer...so I got the DWS. Not as sticky as the DWs but just as great!

The 5P's treadwear is absolutely horrible. Mind as well get some Pirelli P-Zeros for that kind of treadwear.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 93 Likes on 78 Posts
'20 GLC300 SUV
Originally Posted by tfthach13
I can vouch for this too! Had a set of Continue DW's and loved them! The only reason I don't have them on now is because my car is a daily driver and I needed an all-season tire to last me a little longer...so I got the DWS. Not as sticky as the DWs but just as great!

The 5P's treadwear is absolutely horrible. Mind as well get some Pirelli P-Zeros for that kind of treadwear.
Nice!

I'm glad to hear that the DWS tires work well too. Completely agree regarding the 5Ps.
Old 09-19-2014, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
C55 AMG, 300D-T & Karmann Ghia
Originally Posted by zibby43

+1 , I love these on my C55- nowhere near as pricey as PSSs and have aged well without getting hard.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 C63 PP
Thanks for the advice and feel free to continue adding advice in this thread.

From what everyone is saying I should try to match front and rears so I'll skip the Michelin PSS's this time and wait until I need to replace all 4.

ContiSport Contact 3's are not available in 265/30/19 so I'll have to get something else within the brand. The Continental ExtremeContact DW seems like the ideal choice given all of the above.

It's now just a matter of trying to get them for a good price. Have many of you Aussies here bought tires on Tirerack.com? Or have you just gone with Tyresales.com.au?
Old 09-19-2014, 11:19 PM

AMG
Tyresales are a rip off lol.

They wanted $750 for 1 tyre that i got for $300.
Shop around, on ebay or major suppliers.
Old 09-20-2014, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
Originally Posted by Mr Jones

From what everyone is saying I should try to match front and rears so I'll skip the Michelin PSS's this time and wait until I need to replace all 4.

ContiSport Contact 3's are not available in 265/30/19 so I'll have to get something else within the brand. The Continental ExtremeContact DW seems like the ideal choice given all of the above.

It's now just a matter of trying to get them for a good price. Have many of you Aussies here bought tires on Tirerack.com? Or have you just gone with Tyresales.com.au?
I can get you pss for 400 a tyre my mate owns a tyre joint pm me if u want the info
Old 09-20-2014, 02:52 AM

AMG
PSS can be bought for $350.00 if you really want to use them. I'll pm you the number.
Like i said, either use the same brand as the front or buy some cheapies.

I'm not a fan of using different brands for front/rear. Doesn't have to be the exact same model, but i find it better to use the same brand.

Whatever you do, don't use Tyresales.
Old 09-20-2014, 03:01 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2009 C 63
Smile

Originally Posted by Mr Jones

2 weeks ago landed a set of conti DW from tirerack have not had them fitted yet went for 265 for rears will post when fitted.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63
Not only are PSS the better tire, but they look better too. Looks are important to me as well. Its a much sportier looking tire. Just my opinion.
Old 09-20-2014, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 507 with BS Body; 2008 SLK 55
My philosophy is I bought the sportiest Mercedes in order to use it/enjoy that capability when driving. I drive extreme performance summer tires with good grip and stiff sidewalls, like Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R or Bridgestone RE11.

If this was a 'reasonable' car, I would go for something with low roll resistance and high UTQG rating. But it does not come much more 'unreasonable' than the C63. So, why not be consistent? :-)

Btw, even the above mentioned extreme performance tires last a season, given I use winter tires during the cold season.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Originally Posted by Wobble64
My philosophy is I bought the sportiest Mercedes in order to use it/enjoy that capability when driving. I drive extreme performance summer tires with good grip and stiff sidewalls, like Yokohama Advan Neova AD08R or Bridgestone RE11. If this was a 'reasonable' car, I would go for something with low roll resistance and high UTQG rating. But it does not come much more 'unreasonable' than the C63. So, why not be consistent? :-) Btw, even the above mentioned extreme performance tires last a season, given I use winter tires during the cold season.
I hear you, wobble. that's why I personally run re11s. I'm just getting a bit tired of spending time at the tire shop every 6 months, which is why I'm considering getting the as3's.
Old 09-20-2014, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by RawBenz
PSS are the pinnacle. They are the best street tyre for the C63 imo.
If you only need to replace the rear then match the fronts but with a bigger size.

I'm always for matching front and rear with the same brand. But it's up to you.
If your fronts don't need changing i'd recommend going with a new pair of conti's for the rear.
I personally prefer Nitto Invo's. I've found them to be a bit stickier then PSS.

PSS tend to wear larger then they are too, a 265 is about as wide as most brands 275's.
Old 09-20-2014, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
+PSS!