C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

PPI (PRE-PURCHASE INSPECTION) MBZ DEALER V. INDEPENDENT

Old 09-20-2014, 10:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2013 Mercedes C63 AMG SEDAN
PPI (PRE-PURCHASE INSPECTION) MBZ DEALER V. INDEPENDENT

Hey everyone,

I know this has been covered several times here but I have not been able to find the exact information I am looking for... Also I did several GOOGLE searches: "mercedes benz DEALERSHIP LOS ANGELES pre purchase inspection"

and what I get are a bunch of CERTIFIED INDEPENDENTS showing prices of $250-$300, but nothing about Mercedes Benz Dealerships doing PPI's only information that comes up about dealerships talk about their CPO Program..

Ok, so with all that being said, my question is: 2008-2009 C63, Mileage Range I am looking at is 50k to 80k

will any Mercedes Benz Dealership perform a PPI on a C63 that was not sold or leased by them? If so what is the price range you or your friends paid to have it done? (with compression test) If the Dealership does a PPI and the car passes all the test does it become a CPO (CERTIFIED PRE-OWNED) or is that inspection something else entirely compared to a PPI?

Are there any advantages/benefits of going to a Certified Mercedes Benz Garage/shop v. a Mercedes Benz Dealership to get a PPI done? If so what are they? Would I be correct in saying that all Certified Independents do not all follow a standard guideline for PPI testing and do not score each test the same.

Last question for High Mileage Owners:

when your C63 hit 50k miles to 80k miles what issues did you encounter if any? Did it feel just as strong as when it was first broken in? Same question for 80k to 110k...

I tried to find the required/maintenance schedule on what must be performed at or near 50k, 80k, 100k. can some one please give me the link so I can look it up or if someone can tell me.... 2008 and 2009 C63 Maybe the same requirements?
Old 09-20-2014, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 352 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
CPO is a different program than PPI. The CPO must be done on a qualified car before the original warranty expires.

Here is a link to the MB Service booklet online.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servic...&class=C-Class

Have you checked out the head bolt issue as covered in the sticky thread here? Other than that the C63 seems to be pretty stout. Normal wear and tear. Gas and tires are expensive and brakes too if you use PP replacement parts.

No PPI comes with any guarantee or warranty AFAIK. Get it from someone you trust.

Last edited by Mort; 09-20-2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:05 AM

Hello Mort,

Thanks for clearing the PPO v. CPO question up for me...

CPO must be performed before warranty expires

and thanks for the Maintenance Schedule Link.

Yes, I read the Sticky about the headbolts.... that's why when I get a PPI done I want a compression test done and hopefully that will see if it is a problem

Originally Posted by Mort
CPO is a different program than PPI. The CPO must be done on a qualified car before the original warranty expires.

Here is a link to the MB Service booklet online.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servic...&class=C-Class

Have you checked out the head bolt issue as covered in the sticky thread here? Other than that the C63 seems to be pretty stout. Normal wear and tear. Gas and tires are expensive and brakes too if you use PP replacement parts.

No PPI comes with any guarantee or warranty AFAIK. Get it from someone you trust.

Last edited by silversleeper48; 09-20-2014 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30
Subscribing, just got my c63 and I've wondered about some of the checkouts and paying to get it certified
Old 09-20-2014, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 352 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
CPO = Certified Pre-Owned and is only done on trade ins or lease end vehicles to be resold by a MB Dealer and adds one additional year of warranty.

A Compression check is a good idea in general but not so much as an indicator of potential head bolt failure. An overnight cooling system pressure test might be a good idea as well when confirming head bolt failure. Head bolt failure is more of a sudden type of failure and not something that occurs over time. You can be fine today and not tomorrow. You may find a car with the head bolts already replaced but mostly it is a risk you will have to take. Maybe consider an aftermarket warranty that will cover head bolt failure.

GL finding a C63.
Old 09-20-2014, 11:50 AM

Mort, thanks for the heads up of getting a overnight cooling system pressure rather than just a compression test.. I wonder how most sellers would feel about leaving their car overnight at a shop they might not be familiar with though...

Originally Posted by Mort
CPO = Certified Pre-Owned and is only done on trade ins or lease end vehicles to be resold by a MB Dealer and adds one additional year of warranty.

A Compression check is a good idea in general but not so much as an indicator of potential head bolt failure. An overnight cooling system pressure test might be a good idea as well when confirming head bolt failure. Head bolt failure is more of a sudden type of failure and not something that occurs over time. You can be fine today and not tomorrow. You may find a car with the head bolts already replaced but mostly it is a risk you will have to take. Maybe consider an aftermarket warranty that will cover head bolt failure.

GL finding a C63.