Old 10-02-2014, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG BS
C63 AMG BS Engine Problems

2013 C63 AMG Black Series
BMC Air Filter
2 Oil Services - Including B Service

MB Family,

Cold Start or Warm Start -When the engine starts it makes loud mechanical noise which quickly disappears. It doesn't sound like a screeching ignition but its loud, not normal and is of concern.

When holding the brake pedal (light or soft) I can feel what seems like the engines pistons firing or kicking (through the brake pedal) There is no specific pattern to the vibration/kick but it is clearly not normal.

I've tried to go through the forums but have not found any threads that have these two symptoms combined.

I'm going in for service in a couple days but if possible I would like to give the techs a more specific diagnosis.

Intake Gasket? or Engine Bearing?
Unfortunately I have hit a couple bad pot holes in NYC but have not immediately noticed these symptoms.

If you could please give me some input, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best, Chris
Old 10-02-2014, 04:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by chrismtse8
2013 C63 AMG Black Series
BMC Air Filter
2 Oil Services - Including B Service

MB Family,

Cold Start or Warm Start -When the engine starts it makes loud mechanical noise which quickly disappears. It doesn't sound like a screeching ignition but its loud, not normal and is of concern.

When holding the brake pedal (light or soft) I can feel what seems like the engines pistons firing or kicking (through the brake pedal) There is no specific pattern to the vibration/kick but it is clearly not normal.

I've tried to go through the forums but have not found any threads that have these two symptoms combined.

I'm going in for service in a couple days but if possible I would like to give the techs a more specific diagnosis.

Intake Gasket? or Engine Bearing?
Unfortunately I have hit a couple bad pot holes in NYC but have not immediately noticed these symptoms.

If you could please give me some input, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best, Chris
Is the car new to you or have you had it for a while so you know this hasn't been going on for a while? My vehicle has a damn loud start, which is normal, much of which I think is exhaust vibration, etc. The brake pedal symptoms are they while not moving or moving (I assume the former)?
Old 10-02-2014, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Any CEL?
It is difficult to diagnose over the net. Any video of your start up in order to figure what kind of noise you found loud?
Old 10-02-2014, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
engine mount maybe?
The following users liked this post:
Mazspeed (06-27-2017)
Old 10-02-2014, 05:21 PM

C63 AMG BS
Picked it up with 3k. Symptoms started around 2-3k ago. That's when I started hearing a hiccup in the idle.
Brake pedal feel is when the car is stationary.
No noticeable difference in the throttle/power at all.

Thanks
Old 10-02-2014, 05:25 PM

C63 AMG BS
Originally Posted by abcut973
Any CEL?
It is difficult to diagnose over the net. Any video of your start up in order to figure what kind of noise you found loud?
I'll try to get a video up tonight. No cel, but in the beginning I would hear a faint hiccup in the idle, now im feeling stuff through the brake pedal, seems as if its getting worse. There was a time (maybe 5-6K ago) she asked for some more oil, may have put in too much but got a oil change shortly after.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:27 PM

2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by mr747
engine mount maybe?
I believe engine mounts are fluid-filled, correct? Any fluid on the ground? Haven't experienced this myself (it has popped up on in this forum, however), but I imagine the fluid quantity is small and would be potentially easy to miss.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:27 PM

C63 AMG BS
Originally Posted by mr747
engine mount maybe?
Is this something that the MB Tech's should notice easily? or could it unnoticeable be leaking?
Old 10-02-2014, 05:30 PM

C63 AMG BS
Originally Posted by jcfay
I believe engine mounts are fluid-filled, correct? Any fluid on the ground? Haven't experienced this myself (it has popped up on in this forum, however), but I imagine the fluid quantity is small and would be potentially easy to miss.
Not gonna lie, i've gone through a set of tires. Maybe 4-5 burnouts when I first got the car, not recently. I hope its something as simple as engine mounts. But i haven't noticed any fluids on the ground. I usually have an eye out for that stuff too.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:33 PM

2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by chrismtse8
Not gonna lie, i've gone through a set of tires. Maybe 4-5 burnouts when I first got the car, not recently. I hope its something as simple as engine mounts. But i haven't noticed any fluids on the ground. I usually have an eye out for that stuff too.
Dude, if you owned this car and DIDN'T do any burnouts it would be a shame. It's engineered to drive hard. IIRC the engine mount fluid is red, but do a quick forum search and see what you dig up. I did see something in this forum in the last month I think. But I imagine the fluid quantity would be pretty damn small.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Start up sound is most likely cam adjusters. Does it sound like a loud rattle on start up only then goes away quickly?
Old 10-02-2014, 05:40 PM

C63 AMG BS
Dude, if you owned this car and DIDN'T do any burnouts it would be a shame. It's engineered to drive hard. IIRC the engine mount fluid is red, but do a quick forum search and see what you dig up. I did see something in this forum in the last month I think. But I imagine the fluid quantity would be pretty damn small.
Sweet, thanks for the info. Sick black on black btw! Lemme know of any meets you go to in the tristate. I'd def. come out, as soon as I resolve this issue.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:43 PM

C63 AMG BS
Originally Posted by Merc63
Start up sound is most likely cam adjusters. Does it sound like a loud rattle on start up only then goes away quickly?
Yes, had a friend start it up while I was under the hood and it does sound like a loud rattle, but does quickly dissipate.
I want to say that there is some connection between the weird idle, shake in brake pedal and loud ignition (didn't hear this when I purchased the car for at least 10k)

Thanks

Last edited by chrismtse8; 10-02-2014 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 370 Likes on 212 Posts
c63
listen to merc63 he some alot of knowledge on a m156

i was only taking a stab in the dark
Old 10-02-2014, 06:37 PM

2011 E350
sometimes it's best to let the mechanics make the diagnosis without you trying to make one for them
Old 10-02-2014, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Take it to the dealer, cama adjusters going bad is common.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:11 AM

2011 C63 p31
I have the same start up noise I think... I'm not too concerned as things settle and it all goes away. There is a secondary pump that kicks in as well which is a whirring noise and again that goes away too.

The brake pedal issue is something that I've had since buying the car secondhand about 5 months ago. I'm not sure what that is, but the performance hasn't suffered in any way. It pulls just as hard and does everything I ask of it. Just a little bit annoying feeling pulses at the lights or stopped through my foot on the brake pedal.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Might be an engine mount, but remember this is a 6,2L motor. It's big...it vibrates the car a lil bit (not nearly as much as my 98 Trans Am since the C63 is designed better, but you can still feel a slight shake every once in a while when stopped.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Our engine mounts have fluid in them? Are they fluidly dampened or something? I had no idea.
Old 10-03-2014, 05:59 AM

2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by CPD SLK
Our engine mounts have fluid in them? Are they fluidly dampened or something? I had no idea.
That's my understanding, but again picked it up reading in the forums. Here's one recent thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-start-up.html
Old 10-03-2014, 07:30 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E63S
Presume this would still have the factory warranty?? I would just head on down to your local MB dealer and get them to check it out. Even if they claim it is "normal" it is still logged in the system, meaning if it turns out to be the early signs of something that properly declares itself outside the warranty period you would still be covered.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:58 PM

C63 AMG BS
Originally Posted by dang503
sometimes it's best to let the mechanics make the diagnosis without you trying to make one for them
Sometimes, not always, but when you have more than just 1 enthusiast or 1 mechanic on a social forum like MBwold giving their genuine input. It sometimes can help identify the standing issue. I've already planned to let MB professionals take a look, but thanks for you input
Old 10-03-2014, 12:59 PM

C63 AMG BS
Take it to the dealer, cama adjusters going bad is common.
Thanks, i'll mention that to them
Old 10-03-2014, 01:03 PM

C63 AMG BS
Originally Posted by CPD SLK
Might be an engine mount, but remember this is a 6,2L motor. It's big...it vibrates the car a lil bit (not nearly as much as my 98 Trans Am since the C63 is designed better, but you can still feel a slight shake every once in a while when stopped.
I feel that if it was an engine mount that the vibration would be constant and consistent. This vibration is sporadic and has no pattern. I've sat in my friends '09 C63 (40k miles) and have not felt any vibrations. But i'm dropping her off on monday. Well see :/ Thanks for the input
Old 10-03-2014, 01:07 PM

C63 AMG BS
Originally Posted by JimmyR
Presume this would still have the factory warranty?? I would just head on down to your local MB dealer and get them to check it out. Even if they claim it is "normal" it is still logged in the system, meaning if it turns out to be the early signs of something that properly declares itself outside the warranty period you would still be covered.
Oh **** yeah.. they're going to remedy this problem. There's no way i'm going to pay out of pocket for this. Only 15K on that chassis/motor. My question is should I put my stock air filters in before I give her back to MB? or do the BMC air filters not void the warranty?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63 AMG BS Engine Problems