C63 Coupe 507 - Tuning and Road Racing

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 AMG C63 Coupe 507
C63 Coupe 507 - Tuning and Road Racing

Hi

I'm new here and have been enjoying reading up here before joining.

I've got a week long event coming up that involves around 800km of closed road events plus 4 race tracks. They are not races as such (for insurance and public safety reasons), but pretty full on if that makes sense. 1 set of tires should last the entire event.

Not to be a pest, but has anyone got any tips for prepping the car that I have not listed below:

My plans are to:

- full safety check
- service of fluids and filter changes (only done 6000 km)
- replace with race brake fluid
- race brake pads
- 18" wheels replacing the factory 19 so I can get more sidewall and stickier tires. Likely running Nitto NT01 with a couple of extra grooves cut. 275/35 / 18
- race alignment - no idea what that is, at this stage whatever info I can find
- clear wrap if I can get it done in time (Protection against stone chips)
- remove the carbon fiber front splitter - too low for road events

Anything else?

Later I'd like to chase for 500rwhp. It makes 432rwhp stock as it came on 98 unleaded. I'm shopping around for tuning and exhaust options.

I'm thinking LT headers with merge collectors (like MHP or IPE or Supersprint), an exhaust that can flow over 600hp but not drone, and be quiet at cruise, filters and a good custom tune.

Some of you guys have some really fast cars, it's good to see people enjoying AMG, I've never had them before and really like them now. Got an ML63 just before Xmas last year (an old 2007 for the mrs) and then the black coupe came up

Last edited by Bazman; 10-05-2014 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:09 AM

'15 Polar White Edition 507 / 2010 Jeep Wrangler (kart hauler)
I'm new to MB ownership myself but from what I remember reading, 18" wheels will not fit the stock brake setup.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C63 coupe P31
Originally Posted by Spdrcrj
I'm new to MB ownership myself but from what I remember reading, 18" wheels will not fit the stock brake setup.
I have the performance package (bigger brakes I believe) and I have the stock 18' as my winter wheels.

OP, I'm not an expert myself but I think you need the cooling kit from MB otherwise you will very likely overheat at the track and run into limp mode.
Old 10-06-2014, 02:08 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Congrats on the car!

If you need any help with the tuning or parts let us know!!!
Old 10-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
a car
iPE makes a great exhaust for this car that makes great power and has the ability to quiet it down while not tracking or spirited driving.

Let me know if you would like some pricing on that system or MBH long tubes as well as brake parts.

We are master dealers for Girodisc and Endless which would be a great combination for street and track. Also we offer stainless lines and Motul brake fluid if you are going to flush.

All the best!
Old 10-06-2014, 05:59 PM

2013 AMG C63 Coupe 507
Thanks guys. As I get more into it I'll be sure to be in touch. I like the idea of the IPE and know for sure they fit right hand drive. The Supersprints sure look cool though.

My tuner added Agency Power headers to a customers C63 along with no mufflers and full exhaust. Not only was it stupidly loud (customer had to finally concede and have mufflers fitted) - it only picked up 11rwkw (about 15rwhp) on headers plus full exhaust - not the 50rwhp some claim for a base C63. That was on 98 unleaded too. For only 15rwhp gain I'd keep it stock. That proves to me not all mid to long tube headers are created equal on this car. Not bagging AP - quite a few run them and if they work for you and you like them, fantastic, just giving a real world before and after dyno result on one car.

re brakes: The 507 comes with 18" wheels as an option, though I went custom. We took a template of the black series brakes and had the wheels selected around that - they should be here this week so they better fit lol

I see quaife in your signature Tal. Hmmm, I like quaife. Drove a buddies 1000hp twin turbo Viper with a quaife - makes the car easy and safe to drive on big power. First better find out what I have on the 507, it seems pretty good so far but no idea what it is lol
Old 10-06-2014, 06:09 PM

2013 AMG C63 Coupe 507
Originally Posted by loungn14
Congrats on the car!

If you need any help with the tuning or parts let us know!!!
Cheers for that. I see you have done a 507 on your website. Tune only went from base 418rwhp to 442. That's worth it for a tune.

Mine baselines at 432rwhp on 98 unleaded, so if I picked up 24rwhp the same as the other one, that'd be 456rwhp which is pretty stout. Meeting my tuner tonight.

Based on results so far I also think these cars can pick up quite a bit re economy on highway runs - my 507 is about the same (maybe 1L/100km better) than my ML63. Lol and that's driving similar with a lot less weight and taller gears.

The 507 can't get under mid 11'sL/100km on a trip (Not that I really care. but my 630hp LS3 turbocharged car which is heavier can drop below 10l/100km at steady cruise - the old LS1 turbo ran 8L/100km if I tried).

Old 10-06-2014, 06:11 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
G63, C190 AMG GTC, W209 CLK63 BS, W208 CLK430
Let me know if you want some light weight 19 inch wheel options.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:16 AM

2017 C63S Coupe
I was going to post on the Quaife thread, but I didn't want to wander off topic... Who do you use to tune your car? NZ Performance Tuning by chance?

I'm considering a tune on my stock C63, but not sure whether I want a local tuner with support, or just getting an OE or EuroCharged via hand-held. Most tuners would simply get them from overseas anyways. I would prefer a tune with a proven history.

I have to say though, I love the fact that we can get 98 unleaded. Gives it that extra go.

I managed a 9.9/100km from that trip to Hamilton. Was rather impressed. But on the way back was a different story :p. I'd be interested to know your mileage after your tune too.

Last edited by NickNZ; 10-07-2014 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:47 PM

2013 AMG C63 Coupe 507
Originally Posted by NickNZ
I was going to post on the Quaife thread, but I didn't want to wander off topic... Who do you use to tune your car? NZ Performance Tuning by chance?

I'm considering a tune on my stock C63, but not sure whether I want a local tuner with support, or just getting an OE or EuroCharged via hand-held. Most tuners would simply get them from overseas anyways. I would prefer a tune with a proven history.

I have to say though, I love the fact that we can get 98 unleaded. Gives it that extra go.

I managed a 9.9/100km from that trip to Hamilton. Was rather impressed. But on the way back was a different story :p. I'd be interested to know your mileage after your tune too.
Hi Nick

I use Robin at Torque Performance for all my cars. He is the go to guy when other local tuners need help, and I trust him, he won't risk my investment to get a number. He's done dozens of Mercs, and is doing Aston, Audi, BMW etc daily.

9.9L/100km proves your C63 has a leaner tune in it than mine. lol Will post up the new dyno sheet from the tune this Friday. Here is my baseline completely stock...

Baseline of stock C63 507 on May 1st 2014
Old 10-08-2014, 07:45 AM

2017 C63S Coupe
HaH! It's true what they say about things that goes around in circles.

Quite a whole ago when I had my first proper car - BMW 335i, my first mod was a tune at Torque Performance, and I dealt with Robin as well. I still have a copy of the original dyno sheet! He lent me his wife's 1 series as a loan car for the day, whilst he tuned mine. A genuine good bloke.

My second car, which was also another 335i, but later model, was un-tunable at the time. Due to being new and using different ECUs etc... So I sort have forgotten about Torque Performance.

Thanks for sharing the pre-tune. I'd be interested to see what kind of a beast you have after.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:09 PM

2013 AMG C63 Coupe 507
Will report once I have the results. It seems there is 20-25rwhp to be had in tuning a 507 based on what I can find. What is not known yet is how many hours or development it takes to get that. My tuner has downloaded the entire factory tune so has access to all that, it's the trial and error of getting the timing and mix right. Too aggressive and knock sensor will kick in and detune it, too conservative and power is left on the table.

Today will be a quick tune - so we'll see how many easy horsepower there is to be had. If I reach 450rwhp I'm done till time for headers, will be very happy with 450rwhp (336rwkw). If we fall short of that, we'll spend more time on the dyno after Targa.

Robin is supercharging an Aston Martin right now and tunes some pretty cool stuff - worth going back and talking to him.
Old 10-13-2014, 09:56 PM

2013 AMG C63 Coupe 507

Back to back dyno from base to tuned

If my tuner wanted to pop his chest out, he'd compare the final tune with the original baseline - that'd give me a net gain of 25rwhp or 19rwkw - about what most claim.

However, on the day the original baseline went up from 232rwkw to 239kw. Used a taller gear likely helped

Ended up at 342rwkw or 458hp at the wheels - not bad for a 100% stock 507 with a tune. Picked up power everywhere and he dialed in some more TQ in the lower gears too - should be good to go now :-)

Last edited by Bazman; 10-13-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG 507 Edition
Nice update.

Have you decided on headers yet? If yes, what brand?
Old 10-13-2014, 10:20 PM

2013 AMG C63 Coupe 507
I'm thinking of Carraphics like you suggested with 600hp rated cats. To keep it quiet I may go the valved way. I know how to get rid of drone if I have too (work out the offending frequency then make a J pipe the right length - works) - but need quiet cruising. I have a road legal race car if I want noise all the time lol (VT Holden with twin turbo Ls3)
Old 10-13-2014, 10:32 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

AMG
I think you have pretty much everything covered to track preparation. The only thing I would add is that you should check your oil often to make sure its not too low before each day. Also I do not think it is possible to do a custom alignment on a stock car, you will need adjustable control arms and camber plates to do that.
Old 10-13-2014, 10:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG 507 Edition
Originally Posted by Bazman
I'm thinking of Carraphics like you suggested with 600hp rated cats. To keep it quiet I may go the valved way. I know how to get rid of drone if I have too (work out the offending frequency then make a J pipe the right length - works) - but need quiet cruising. I have a road legal race car if I want noise all the time lol (VT Holden with twin turbo Ls3)
If you can, try to listen to the valved exhaust before you go ahead. The IPE full exhaust (headers through to tips) sounds quieter than stock with the valves closed. IMO it doesn't sound good at all. May result in driving around with the valves open all the time which defeats the purpose.

Also, you need to watch for how well the valves stand up to daily use. Even the IPE sales rep was telling me they have problems with the valves "flapping" in certain conditions. Makes this clacking noise which is not great.

I'm considering on going IPE headers with additional custom silencers and then the standard exhaust from the resonator back. Should get some reasonable gains from the headers, with slightly elevated noise, but nothing too crazy.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:28 PM

2013 AMG C63 Coupe 507
Originally Posted by VFR Tuning
I think you have pretty much everything covered to track preparation. The only thing I would add is that you should check your oil often to make sure its not too low before each day. Also I do not think it is possible to do a custom alignment on a stock car, you will need adjustable control arms and camber plates to do that.
Thanks for that. Yes we're going to take 2L of oil just in case. I also had the diff oil replaced as car is now run in.

We got 1.36 degrees negative camber on the fronts, backs no adjustment other than toe in which we corrected.

I think you are right re adjustibles being the way to do - K-Mac or similar is the way forward after this.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:31 PM

2013 AMG C63 Coupe 507
Originally Posted by Bardman
If you can, try to listen to the valved exhaust before you go ahead. The IPE full exhaust (headers through to tips) sounds quieter than stock with the valves closed. IMO it doesn't sound good at all. May result in driving around with the valves open all the time which defeats the purpose.

Also, you need to watch for how well the valves stand up to daily use. Even the IPE sales rep was telling me they have problems with the valves "flapping" in certain conditions. Makes this clacking noise which is not great.

I'm considering on going IPE headers with additional custom silencers and then the standard exhaust from the resonator back. Should get some reasonable gains from the headers, with slightly elevated noise, but nothing too crazy.
IPE was what my tuner had suggested. Wouldn't want it any quieter than now - it is quiet as in C mode at normal driving speeds and loads. Thanks for the heads up.

I think you are onto the same path of thinking I am - headers then simply find a way to make the sound acceptable at loads and under cruise. Square mufflers with sharp bends instead of curves plus heavy double skinned walls can do wonders.... just needs custom fabrication. Us kiwis and Aussies aren't afraid of custom fabrication
Old 10-15-2014, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 Estate
FYI, just fitted a Cargraphic Exhaust to my friends sedan the other day.
I will take some video tomorrow.
Full exhuast, headers 200c cats, valve control, mufflers etc.
Sounds AWESOME! Its getting OE Tune tomorrow, so after the tune will take some vids.
But is SCREAMS!!!
Old 10-16-2014, 12:15 AM

2013 AMG C63 Coupe 507
Originally Posted by AMG893
FYI, just fitted a Cargraphic Exhaust to my friends sedan the other day.
I will take some video tomorrow.
Full exhuast, headers 200c cats, valve control, mufflers etc.
Sounds AWESOME! Its getting OE Tune tomorrow, so after the tune will take some vids.
But is SCREAMS!!!
Sounds good....lol pardon the pun

Main concern is that it's ok for normal driving and cruising - nothing worse than a noisy car on a trip
Old 10-16-2014, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
09 C63
If you want true long tube 4-1 headers speak to sonny at Autowerks in Sydney. I believe he is the only person who makes them for rhd cars.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:44 AM

2013 AMG C63 Coupe 507
Originally Posted by RNS-11Z
If you want true long tube 4-1 headers speak to sonny at Autowerks in Sydney. I believe he is the only person who makes them for rhd cars.
Thanks for the tip, I'll look him up. Not sure if these are for the C63 but these ones of his look good....

Old 10-16-2014, 02:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 Estate
Okay, i took some video. I will upload it soon.
When the valves are closed, its quiet. Like MAYBE quieter than stock actually. Or at least definitely not louder
Old 10-16-2014, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 Estate
Just got Jeremy to tune 3 of our cars today.
OMG the C63 with the cargraphic is mental.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63 Coupe 507 - Tuning and Road Racing