C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

ESC unavailable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63 AMG P31
ESC unavailable

Ever since installing my headers when I floor it in manual or sport mode with ESC on sport or off my throttle sometimes cuts out, with my idle spiking to 1000rpm and growling loud (bouncing between 1000-1200). When I restart the car it is fixed until the next occurrence. Often it only happens when it's cold out (so more power is made, it happened tonight at 15C with light wind chill).

From my understanding this means I am overtorquing my transmission (I believe the overtorque limit is 500lb/ft), when I retune would this mean we would want to target less torque, or sparing a TCU tune is there any coding lines that will lift the restriction? The car handles the power very well normally, but it the odd time this will occur.

The car is 3 years old at 36,000km and was winter stored all it's life, so I doubt intake leaks & defective MAFs. And no codes come up from this, so I'm assuming it's entirely software limitations.

If any tuners could hop in, that would be outstanding. We have not tuned for headers before, so any advice is much appreciated.

Last edited by ToXicXxX; 10-14-2014 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 369 Likes on 184 Posts
C63 AMG
Were you retuned post header install?

If i remember correctly the AP headers do not throw a CEL. But you still require the retune, I ended up advancing the timing slightly to compensate for the additional flow.

Out of curiosity, what temps have you been averaging after you're header setup?

Originally Posted by ToXicXxX
Ever since installing my headers when I floor it in manual or sport mode with ESC on sport or off my throttle sometimes cuts out, with my idle spiking to 1000rpm and growling loud (bouncing between 1000-1200). When I restart the car it is fixed until the next occurrence. Often it only happens when it's cold out (so more power is made, it happened tonight at 15C with light wind chill).

From my understanding this means I am overtorquing my transmission (I believe the overtorque limit is 500lb/ft), when I retune would this mean we would want to target less torque, or sparing a TCU tune is there any coding lines that will lift the restriction? The car handles the power very well normally, but it the odd time this will occur.

The car is 3 years old at 36,000km and was winter stored all it's life, so I doubt intake leaks & defective MAFs. And no codes come up from this, so I'm assuming it's entirely software limitations.

If any tuners could hop in, that would be outstanding. We have not tuned for headers before, so any advice is much appreciated.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:52 PM

2011 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by Kriston
Were you retuned post header install?

If i remember correctly the AP headers do not throw a CEL. But you still require the retune, I ended up advancing the timing slightly to compensate for the additional flow.

Out of curiosity, what temps have you been averaging after you're header setup?
It hasn't been retuned yet. I occasionally had the ESC issues before the headers when it got cold out (as I am running a beta tune), but the headers have excaserbated it.

Oil hovers from 90C-115C when I drive very hard. Coolant is from 88C on a very cold day to 92C when I drive hard.

Would I be able to lift the TCU torque restrictions via Autologic? Mercedes quotes the tranny as being able to handle 542lb/ft, and I can't imagine I'm anywhere near that currently.

We will datalog and look into advancing timing.

Last edited by ToXicXxX; 10-14-2014 at 10:56 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 09:36 PM

2011 C63 AMG P31
Update:

Tried a new tune today with stock P31 spark advance, but optimized torque delivery. My car will now instantly drop ESC and throttle if I floor it in 1st gear.

If any tuners could chime in... I would greatly appreciate it!

I may bring it in to Lonestar Mercedes to have it checked out... But I assume with my headers/exhaust even on a stock tune they will not do warranty work on my car?

Last edited by ToXicXxX; 10-15-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:31 PM

2011 C63 AMG
solution?

I get this is an old thread but what did you do to fix this? I am having the same problem but my car has had no mods to it. Problem used to pop up here and there but now its constant and rpms bounce between 1k and 2k while in park with a nasty unsteady growl from the exhaust.