how often do you guys get alignments?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
how often do you guys get alignments?

on other cars, I align the car with every tire change, but since I need new tires every 5-7k miles maximum on the c63, I was thinking alignments at each tire change was excessive. how often do you guys align your cars?
Old 10-21-2014, 09:04 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
Usually when I get new tires
I also check wear and if uneven get one
Obviously hit a pothole and it feels 'different'
Old 10-21-2014, 09:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,321 Posts
2014 E63S; AMS 100 octane ecu tune; edok tcu tune; BB intakes; dyno tuned
... If there is excessive tire wear, or if the car pulls left or right

Every tire change is not bad on a car where the tires last 30k miles
Old 10-21-2014, 09:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Truck, 2014 C63 AMG 507
I watch how their wearing and how the steering feels.
Old 10-22-2014, 02:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
thanks, guys. I've been getting alignments with each new set of tires, and while the tires wear evenly, the alignment is always off a tiny bit, which is surprising bc I only go about 7000 miles in between tire changes. I never align my other cars more than every 15000 miles, so just wondering if I can go longer on my current alignments. this is mostly to avoid spending time at the alignment shop 1.5 times a year, not so much to save the money.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:50 AM
GRP

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
2010 C63
Never in 1.5 years - tyres are wearing evenly and steering is nicely centred with no pull.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 Estate
Never unless tyre wear looks uneven or car pulls to either side.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
NEVER!!

I have to remember to make a u-turn to go straight and keep the wheel straight to turn right.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:21 AM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63 AMG
The drift out of tolerance to to bushings, etc, is so small and gradual that although the car may 'feel' fine it is out of tolerance

And a bit out in alignment is enough to mess things up

I have never had a car measure in spec for the 'before' check
Something is always out
Old 10-22-2014, 11:44 PM
SPONSOR

Received 145 Likes on 115 Posts
Mercedes-Benz CLK 550
Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
on other cars, I align the car with every tire change, but since I need new tires every 5-7k miles maximum on the c63, I was thinking alignments at each tire change was excessive. how often do you guys align your cars?

Since the mid ‘90 model’s, with the ever increasing speed of vehicle assembly lines there has been no front or rear Camber (or front Caster) adjustment facility fitted OEM!

Only current adjustment is front and rear Toe.

To attempt to return vehicle to factory specs to resolve premature inner edge tire wear, improve traction, and fix steering pull the only current alternative for Camber and Caster is to fit offset, slotted bolts (for the front only). But these are inaccurate one only position bolts offering a minimal .3 of one degree adjustment (3mm).

It’s no wonder many owners continually change tire brands or go from one MB Dealer or alignment shop to another trying to get it right/fix the problem!

We saw the need therefore "to fix it right the first time" by designing, developing, patenting (and re-instating from the 1990's) fully adjustable front (and rear) suspension for virtually all models.

The current K-MAC kits have up to 4 times the adjustment of the one position offset bolts (both Positive or Negative). And unlike these offset one position bolts they can be accurately adjusted - under load, direct on alignment turntable (no need to remove and reinstall each time).

Ongoing, precise adjustment of both Camber and Caster settings if altering suspension height, fitting wide profile tires/wheels, curb knock damage or being able to quickly fine tune/change specs on race days. Extra Negative (plus track width) to go deeper into the corners/lower lap times. With the unique K-MAC patented design only requires use of a single wrench/no disassembly.

For the rear, similar kits for precise Camber adjustment (with additional Toe to compensate for the new Camber facility). Importantly unlike the alternative adjustable Camber arms K-MAC rear kits do not move top of tire outwards - this reducing the essential clearance top of tire to outer fender when adjusting to fix premature inner edge tire wear/improve rear traction.

Also instead of spherical bearings as used on control arms which prematurely pound out allowing metal to metal contact. At K-MAC we have developed long life elastomer bushings.

Bonus with the four front and four rear bushes is that they are also designed with twice the load bearing area and replace the highest wearing suspension bushings. And with K-MAC no special tools are required to fit.