C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Buying a C63 that no one wants

Old 10-28-2014, 02:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 c63
Buying a C63 that no one wants

I've been eyeing this C63 for quite some time, it has been on their lot for two months now. They had it listed at high 30s and it slowly dropped every other week and its currently at mid 30s. What I don't understand is why hasn't anyone purchased it yet? Is there something I am missing? It's out of the headbolt issue, and still under warranty.. the only drawbacks I see is that the carfax shows that it has been in an minor to moderate front end dmg, and the Audi dealership has terrible feedback on cars.com yelp and just about every website. Is this a red flag?

I live in LA, I am planning to get a PPI done from the local mercedes and maybe a third party (indy) shop, and if i get the thumbs up, I'm going to add an extended warranty. Then I just need to pay to have it shipped to LA and pay the CA taxes when it arrives. What do you guys think?
Old 10-28-2014, 02:08 AM

12 C63 Coupe
First of all, some 11's are affected by the headbolt. Secondly the cars been in an accident. And 3rd mileage is ehhh.

Last edited by itzjonjon69; 10-28-2014 at 02:10 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:22 AM

'11 c63
Originally Posted by itzjonjon69
First of all, some 11's are affected by the headbolt. Secondly the cars been in an accident. And 3rd mileage is ehhh.
Yeah I don't mind mileage as I want to own it for the long run, and a minor accident as long as its been repaired. And yeah, according to valvestud, 060658(iirc) and up have the revised bolt. I checked the engine number and got 067307, should be 6700 engines ago?

Last edited by jas0ndotc0m; 10-28-2014 at 02:43 AM. Reason: edited the engine numbers
Old 10-28-2014, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG
Typically speaking, if so allowed here, "Most" C63 AMG owners are not going to want a Bad-CarFax-ed vehicle.
For an '11, that price is unreal! Add the mileage to the mix, and wash it down with a swig of Bad CarFax and you have yourself a high mileage, wreck/repaired C63 AMG.
If you can live with that, buy her up!

Happy Modding bud!
Old 10-28-2014, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30
Originally Posted by Autosport7
Typically speaking, if so allowed here, "Most" C63 AMG owners are not going to want a Bad-CarFax-ed vehicle.
For an '11, that price is unreal! Add the mileage to the mix, and wash it down with a swig of Bad CarFax and you have yourself a high mileage, wreck/repaired C63 AMG.
If you can live with that, buy her up!

Happy Modding bud!
Bingo in my search if I saw a wreck on car fax I just moved on as it would kill my resale value later

However if all you want is a cheaper ride to mod up and drive until it dies its a good way to save money up front if it checks out
Old 10-28-2014, 10:58 AM

'11 c63
oh, i never considered a bumper repair that big of a deal, assuming its just that. My mother and sister must have fixed their bumpers half a dozen times by now from bumping into poles and stuff.

edit: I only planned on getting an ecu tune and maybe a cat delete
Old 10-28-2014, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by jas0ndotc0m
oh, i never considered a bumper repair that big of a deal, assuming its just that. My mother and sister must have fixed their bumpers half a dozen times by now from bumping into poles and stuff.

edit: I only planned on getting an ecu tune and maybe a cat delete
Devils advocate for just a minute on this.
I drive a car worth (lets say) $45-$48k (un-wrecked of course), I get a bumper ding. Do I; A) Pay the $1500 (at worst case) to have the bumper repaired and come out clean a the end? or B) Pay a $500 deductible, have a body shop fix it, and lose $10k resale value from a bad car fax?

Bad CarFaxes showing "minor" are typically under say $2k worth damage, anything above that gets called worse from what I remember. "Minor to Moderate" sounds to me like $7K-$15K damage, which may include headlights, hood, bumper cover, bumper, etc.
Take a look at the painted bolts that hold the fenders on, if they are chipped up (fro the use of a socket for removal), the fenders were removed, and at least probably painted if not replaced. If they are not chipped up, next I would be looking for overspray under the hood. Look at the alignment of body panels and see if they all match fro the left side of the car to the right.
Im saying all of this assuming you may not know these few little tips, if you do, I apologize in advance and will quit sounding like a know-it-all pompous ***! lol

Last edited by Autosport7; 10-28-2014 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:16 PM

'11 c63
lol nah, any info is good, but yeah I already knew some stuff mentioned but I just learned that minor to moderate = 7-15k (at least to you), meaning I need to research what "minor" and "moderate" means on carfax. I guess it all comes down to the PPI then, because I don't have the time to fly out to houston to check it out.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
if it was repaired properly, the car should be fine. and any money lost at resale will be made up for by the good deal you get at purchase.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:27 PM

'11 c63
Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
if it was repaired properly, the car should be fine. and any money lost at resale will be made up for by the good deal you get at purchase.
honestly, thats how I see it too. I'm going to have a benz dealership check it out then if they give me the OK, i'll ask them to slap an extended warranty onto it lol
Old 10-28-2014, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jas0ndotc0m
honestly, thats how I see it too. I'm going to have a benz dealership check it out then if they give me the OK, i'll ask them to slap an extended warranty onto it lol
I'd have someone test drive it too to make sure it doesn't pull L/R or something like that.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
This and that.
I will tell you about my car. I have a 2011 which I got over a year ago. At the time it was listed for around $10K less than equivalent cars with similar km's. I asked the MB dealer as to why it was so much cheaper and they told me there was an accident claim on it that was worth $30K. Apparently when the car was literally brand new, someone drove into the front end of the car and the previous owner had to get it fixed. The damage was simply the headlights, the bumper, fender etc. No mechanical damage what so ever.

It did bother me a bit but they said the car was fixed by them at the dealership and they CPO'ed it to the boot. I got the car with 2 years manufacturer warranty remaining plus 2 years CPO'ed warranty and for 10K less. Now after over a year I have had no issues with it at all (knock on wood). When I get rid of it, I will definitely have to price it accordingly and some buyers won't want it cause of the accident and that is the only drawback from my perspective. I enjoy it and got it for less than what a normal car with only 25K km's would have cost at the time.

My point; if it's repaired properly by a reputable shop and the accident was a long time ago, you know there aren't and recurring or pending issues. So go for it. Especially if you plan to keep it for a long time.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by papashango
I will tell you about my car. I have a 2011 which I got over a year ago. At the time it was listed for around $10K less than equivalent cars with similar km's. I asked the MB dealer as to why it was so much cheaper and they told me there was an accident claim on it that was worth $30K. Apparently when the car was literally brand new, someone drove into the front end of the car and the previous owner had to get it fixed. The damage was simply the headlights, the bumper, fender etc. No mechanical damage what so ever.

It did bother me a bit but they said the car was fixed by them at the dealership and they CPO'ed it to the boot. I got the car with 2 years manufacturer warranty remaining plus 2 years CPO'ed warranty and for 10K less. Now after over a year I have had no issues with it at all (knock on wood). When I get rid of it, I will definitely have to price it accordingly and some buyers won't want it cause of the accident and that is the only drawback from my perspective. I enjoy it and got it for less than what a normal car with only 25K km's would have cost at the time.

My point; if it's repaired properly by a reputable shop and the accident was a long time ago, you know there aren't and recurring or pending issues. So go for it. Especially if you plan to keep it for a long time.
I have a hard time believing "and they CPO'ed it to the boot". Maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean here. Was the car CPO'd before the accident and you were able to take advantage of the remaining time of the CPO, or do you really mean "they" CPO'd it after the accident?
I only ask as they are not allowed to do that.
If the vehicle has had anything other than paint chip repairs or anything of the sort, it can not be CPO'd by MB as far as I know.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:07 PM

2011 C63 AMG P31
Whats the $ value on the damage?

I bought my C63 with one claim on it, for like $150 (though carfax had it as $0, because his ded was more then the damage, so it was paid out of hand, there was proof of cost though).
Old 10-28-2014, 01:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
This is a valid point.
Having said that, if you think a dealer is having a hard time selling a car with a bad car fax, how hard do you think it would be for a private owner to get rid of it?
I am not trying to sound like a debbi downer, but these are real concerns.
If you plan to buy it, drive it, beat it into the ground, this is a great car if you can buy it right as stated by m a x i m u s.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB
LOL! @ PJ's auto care and gourmet coffee. I don't know why but that juxtaposition gave me a good chuckle. Hopefully their barista didn't change the oil with some french roast
Old 10-28-2014, 01:32 PM

'11 c63
Originally Posted by ToXicXxX
Whats the $ value on the damage?

I bought my C63 with one claim on it, for like $150 (though carfax had it as $0, because his ded was more then the damage, so it was paid out of hand, there was proof of cost though).
Idk, first owner was the one who got into the accident in 2011(according to the carfax)

This is a valid point.
Having said that, if you think a dealer is having a hard time selling a car with a bad car fax, how hard do you think it would be for a private owner to get rid of it?
I am not trying to sound like a debbi downer, but these are real concerns.
If you plan to buy it, drive it, beat it into the ground, this is a great car if you can buy it right as stated by m a x i m u s.
Yeah, I want it for the long haul. I originally had an sti for the long haul but it was just too noisy (road noise), and too much attention from everyone (incl. police..). I choose c63 bcuz I can remove the badge and it will look like any c class, cept w/ a minor to moderate size engine.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

also keep in mind that any diminished value will decrease as time goes on. since you say you plan on keeping the car a long time, it may have a de minimus effect on your resale experience.

Last edited by m a x i m u s; 10-28-2014 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:11 PM

2005 CLK500
I have a hard time believing "and they CPO'ed it to the boot". Maybe I am misunderstanding what you mean here. Was the car CPO'd before the accident and you were able to take advantage of the remaining time of the CPO, or do you really mean "they" CPO'd it after the accident?
If the vehicle has had anything other than paint chip repairs or anything of the sort, it can not be CPO'd by MB as far as I know.
You can CPO cars with an accident on the CarFax, however MB has clamped down a bit more on it as of recent. There was a time where it was really no big deal, as long as it really was minor bumps, etc. My Pre-Owned manager does not do it any more as he prefers to just draw a hard line with the issue, but we used to. But again, only with truly minor incidents.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.

Well I am not sure what their rules are but this one was CPO'ed a couple years after the accident. So the first owner has the car and within 6 months crashes it. Get's it repaired at the dealer and cost is around $30K. Drives it for 2.5 years and returns it after the lease is up. MB sold it to me as a CPO vehicle with 2 years original warranty and 2 years CPO warranty on it. So there must not be any rule that doesn't let them CPO a vehicle if it's more than paint chip worth of damage.

Last edited by papashango; 10-28-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by papashango
Well I am not sure what their rules are but this one was CPO'ed a couple years after the accident. So the first owner has the car and within 6 months crashes it. Get's is repaired at the dealer and cost is around $30K. Drives it for 2.5 years and returns it after the lease is up. MB sold it to me as a CPO vehicle with 2 years original warranty and 2 years CPO warranty on it. So there must not be any rule that doesn't let them CPO a vehicle if it's more than paint chip worth of damage.
$30K in damages....?
Peek this:
https://pictures.dealer.com/knauz/0a...ed656a3dc3.pdf
Old 10-28-2014, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
Hmm interesting. Oh well, that didn't stop them from certifying the one I've got. If it wasn't, I wouldn't have bought it. The fact it had 4 year warranty sort of gave me the confidence to get it. And if I sell in the next year or so the warranty will carry over to the new owner so that should assist me a little in selling it.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Ram 2500 Limited 2013 Harley CVO Road Glide
Does car fax list what the damages were? Or just that there were repairs/cost of repairs? I ask because mine has never been in an accident, but I got absolutely hosed with rocks by some azzhat in a pickup that did a bunch of superficial damage. Rock chips in the hood/roof/fender/grille, busted windshield etc.
Nothing structural at all in the slightest, but totalled up over $5k in damage at the end of the day. So now my car will show up with a red flag on it, even though there is nothing structurally flawed? (cosmetic only, less the windshield)..
Old 10-28-2014, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
Carfax reports only state the claim and the amount not the details about the accident. Like I said, these cars are expensive to fix. Mine had hood, headlight, bumper and fender damage and that came around $30K. Nothing mechanical, simply cosmetic. Each headlight costs around 3-4K I am told.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
I'd pass, but that's just me. Anything over 20 grand is not worth taking a shot on to me. These cars are ridiculously expensive to repair. If there is a problem down the road that needs to be addressed you could be paying through the nose on that "sweet deal."

It is tempting, but for me, I spent over a year looking for the right car. And I did not get a good deal. I got a fair deal for a car that checked ALL of the boxes.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buying a C63 that no one wants