C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Odd Question !! 55Tech grill

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 12:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG - PP+
Odd Question !! 55Tech grill

Right I swapped out my std grill this week, and replaced with the 55Tech matt black version, if you've seen the other thread on this then you'll know what I mean.

Since going on the car, and it can only be the grill, is whistling when running over 60/70 mph !!

Really annoying and even over the radio you can hear a lowish but still audible whistle .. typical !!

Anyone else had or heard of this, any solutions ?

It fitted in ok, no gaps, just odd as it clearly coming from the front of the car and too much coincidence its something else.

Any ideas or answers on a postcard

Last edited by Dazzagt; 11-14-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Truck, 2014 C63 AMG 507
I'm not sure why its whistling but if I wanted to fine where exactly it was coming from I'd cover portions with masking tape and drive aroud and relocate the tape until you find it no longer whistles.
Once you see exactly where its coming from you may see a simple solution.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
2022 E53 SG
I've had mine for a while and no such issues.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 Estate
Originally Posted by odonnks
I'm not sure why its whistling but if I wanted to fine where exactly it was coming from I'd cover portions with masking tape and drive aroud and relocate the tape until you find it no longer whistles.
Once you see exactly where its coming from you may see a simple solution.
This is a good tip.

I have same grille though, and no issues
Old 11-16-2014, 05:16 AM

C63 AMG - PP+
Will give that a go !
Old 11-18-2014, 10:05 AM

C63 AMG - PP+
Thought I would just quickly update this thread, as someone kindly sent me a PM saying that their 55 tech grill was also ' whistling ' at speed, so good to know I wasn't going mad !

Anyway it appears the top section is the culprit, the original part has a rubber seal along the length of the trim that meets the underside of the bonnet, the aftermarket part does not.

Luckily I didn't really need the new top section even though it came with the single fin grill, as my original was Matt Blk wrapped.

Put the old part back on, no whistling

Thanks to Keith on the forum
Old 03-09-2015, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
Thank you! I fitted mine and noticed whistling yesterday and remembered reading this but never checked back on the solution. Hopefully that works for me too!
Old 03-09-2015, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
I contacted 55Tech to see if they would offer a solution but was informed that since this was not a wide spread issue that they were not going to provide a solution for this whistling noise. I went and purchased some foam weather stripping and cut it down to fit the trim piece. This appears to have solved the issue.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:08 PM

C63 AMG - PP+
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
Thank you! I fitted mine and noticed whistling yesterday and remembered reading this but never checked back on the solution. Hopefully that works for me too!

No probs Big thanks to Keith as I said before, as saved me all the hassle of trying to locate it over time, so glad I posted up !

Originally Posted by keithlee21
I contacted 55Tech to see if they would offer a solution but was informed that since this was not a wide spread issue that they were not going to provide a solution for this whistling noise. I went and purchased some foam weather stripping and cut it down to fit the trim piece. This appears to have solved the issue.

Weird as it cant be just a few of us that have the issue if the top sections all come without the rubber lip / seal piece ?

Still I guess if not many people raise it as an issue than they are less likely to change or alter the design.