C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Replacing key fob outer case, help!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2014, 06:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Replacing key fob outer case, help!!!

Hey guys, so my current key fob has a bunch of chips and scratches all over it, I was thinking about getting a new key but I dont want to buy a brand new one from the dealership, it's like $250. So I looked online and theres a bunch of oem ones I can get for much cheaper... My question is how would I go about doing this, do I need to re-program the new key to my car or can I just essentially transfer everything over from my existing key to the new outer case? Or do I just transfer the cut blade over to the new key and it works? Is there a chip inside our keys that needs to be re-programmed? I really dont want to take it apart myself but also the dealership wont do anything for me, they dont want to be liable for anything that's damaged.. Is there specific key model #'s that I need to look for to match the one for my car (2008 C63)? I see alot of ones that look identical to the one I have, just not sure which class they're previously for.. ANy help would be great.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
which key do you have? the one with a oval panic button or the triangle one?

If it's oval you can swap it. You just take out the blade key remove the battery tray use a big paperclips to lasso the white plastic tray piece and yank out the circuit board. Put it into the new key case you need to transfer the metal key and circuit board you don't need the battery tray from the old one.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:13 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Wow I have the one with the circle panic button.. that's great news so I can just get one from eBay and transfer everything over then right. I can do this myself? I'm just a little hesitant about pulling out the circuit tray.. so 're-programming is not necessary right? Also there's some numbers best the top of the key where it goes in the ignition, does it matter which one I get cause I think every key has different numbers..
Old 11-27-2014, 02:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
I'm not too sure about this. But it could work assuming the circuit transfer can be done.
If not you will have to get the key reprogrammed. And dealership won't do it unless you got it from them. GL
Old 11-27-2014, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
abc sorry, but your info is a little off. It can be done easily I have done it over 20 times for good customers and twice on my own keys and the case is nothing but a plastic shell the transponder is on the circuit board. The dealer cannot reprogram DAS3 keys and keys do not lose programming. The only reason it wouldn't work is if you physically broke taking it out or putting it back in, but if you grab it by the plastic piece sticking up you won't break anything. The only factor I don't know about is the quality of an eBay key. I have only used OEM keys for replacement.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Fair enough. Thanks for the clarification.
My experience with keys was when I ordered a new one to complete my set as my previous sedan only came with one key. That was 2 years ago and to be honest i didn't try to go cheap on this since having the right key was important to me. But I guess if I have to do it again I'll try to avoid the MB tax if legit.