C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

ARH Long Tube Headers/200 cell cats/x-pipe install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 507 with BS Body; 2008 SLK 55
Stock mufflers with tips cut off, behind a Black Series bumper.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Wobble64
Did my install today, including dyno runs before/after.

Results:
before (2014 C63 507, EC V5, ROW & AFE filters): 412 whp/380 lbft torque
after (with MHP headers, 200 cpi race cats, x-pipe, stock resonator and mufflers): 447 whp/420 lbft torque

Interpretation: These are Dyno Dynamics numbers (also called heartbreaker dyno). According to many comparisons I found, Dyno Dynamics read 10-15% lower than the more common Dynojets. Using a 13% increase to get to Dynojet comparable numbers, and 18% drivetrain loss, I would have these 'Dynojet comparable' numbers:
447 * 1.13 = 505 whp and 505/0.82=616 crank hp with headers
412 * 1.13 = 466 whp and 466/0.82 = 568 crank hp w/o headers.
Gain from headers: 39 whp (48 hp crank)
If those are real, then my car would be unusually strong, it seems. However, the most important number is the power increase from headers - just under 40 whp/50 crank
Nice write up! Just as a comparison of how this translates to performance, I recently also installed a set of Benzworks Longtubes which look almost identical to the ARH headers. With the benzworks headers you cut and re use the stock mid section and secondary cats since they do not come with an x pipe. Before installing the headers I ran the car at the drag strip a couple of months ago. With an OE tune and on regular street radials the car went 12.01 @ 118.2. After installing the headers, I went back this weekend and the weather was similar to the last outing. The car with the headers installed and still on regular street radials (babying it out of the hole) ran 11:90 @ 122.1. In essence, I picked up roughly 4 mph with the header install. I'm confident if I went back with a set of drag radials the ET would be closer in the mid 11 second range and I could possibly pick up another MPH or so.

Thanks

Last edited by immelman; 12-19-2014 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-19-2014, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C63 507 Sedan
Thanks for all the feedback and vids! I've got the same setup coming sans the cats.

I’ve been keeping the vids below on repeat waiting these headers to arrive. The burnout has agency power catback, not sure what all mods the Swedish police chase car has. I went with MHP to get THIS sound though.

Old 12-19-2014, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by immelman
Nice write up! Just as a comparison of how this translates to performance, I recently also installed a set of Benzworks Longtubes which look almost identical to the ARH headers. With the benzworks headers you cut and re use the stock mid section and secondary cats since they do not come with an x pipe. Before installing the headers I ran the car at the drag strip a couple of months ago. With an OE tune and on regular street radials the car went 12.01 @ 118.2. After installing the headers, I went back this weekend and the weather was similar to the last outing. The car with the headers installed and still on regular street radials (babying it out of the hole) ran 11:90 @ 122.1. In essence, I picked up roughly 4 mph with the header install. I'm confident if I went back with a set of drag radials the ET would be closer in the mid 11 second range and I could possibly pick up another MPH or so.

Thanks
Do you have any pictures or videos of your setup? I was contemplating benzwork header before I purchased the ARH/MHP headers, but the fact that ARH was local to me swayed me over. What were your initial impressions of your car after the header install?
Old 12-20-2014, 10:53 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
Do you have any pictures or videos of your setup? I was contemplating benzwork header before I purchased the ARH/MHP headers, but the fact that ARH was local to me swayed me over. What were your initial impressions of your car after the header install?

Initial impressions were WOW, this thing pulls like a freight train. 1st gear is totally useless now from any speed. The second the pedal goes to the floor, car is sideways and on the rev limiter if your not quick. Second Gear, a little better but sometimes even from good roll it will spin all the way through second as well. Hammer down from about 75mph and the front end goes skyward pretty hard and stays there until you get out of the throttle. As far as sound while on the throttle, does Winston Cup Car come to mind.... Cruising on the interstate at a steady throttle, there really is no more noise than stock. Quiet, Comfortable and just a bad *** Wolf in Sheep's clothing.. Love it!!! Serge with Benzworks was a pleasure to deal with and answered all of my questions both before and after the sale!

The only slightly negative comment I have is that the car feels like it lost a slight bit of bottom end under about 2500 rpm. Don't be discouraged though, after 2500 it comes on hard and in bucket loads...

Your ARH headers look really nice. Only downside for me was you have to go through MHP and Andy will never get a penny of my money ever again... See thread "ECU Tune gone Wrong" for more details.

Enjoy, and anyone else considering headers you will not be disappointed in the performance department.

Thanks, Mike
Attached Thumbnails ARH Long Tube Headers/200 cell cats/x-pipe install-benz-2.jpg   ARH Long Tube Headers/200 cell cats/x-pipe install-benz1.jpg  

Last edited by immelman; 12-20-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Initial impressions were WOW, this thing pulls like a freight train. 1st gear is totally useless now from any speed. The second the pedal goes to the floor, car is sideways and on the rev limiter if your not quick. Second Gear, a little better but sometimes even from good roll it will spin all the way through second as well. Hammer down from about 75mph and the front end goes skyward pretty hard and stays there until you get out of the throttle. As far as sound while on the throttle, does Winston Cup Car come to mind.... Cruising on the interstate at a steady throttle, there really is no more noise than stock. Quiet, Comfortable and just a bad *** Wolf in Sheep's clothing.. Love it!!! Serge with Benzworks was a pleasure to deal with and answered all of my questions both before and after the sale!

The only slightly negative comment I have is that the car feels like it lost a slight bit of bottom end under about 2500 rpm. Don't be discouraged though, after 2500 it comes on hard and in bucket loads...

Your ARH headers look really nice. Only downside for me was you have to go through MHP and Andy will never get a penny of my money ever again... See thread "ECU Tune gone Wrong" for more details.

Enjoy, and anyone else considering headers you will not be disappointed in the performance department.

Thanks, Mike
I know exactly what you're talking about when you said u felt u lost a bit of low end torque. You should get an X pipe to give it a little back pressure. I have heard and been in a few gen 1 mhp and mbh setups, they lost a bit of low end too. There was was a thread on the e63 forum that spoke about this.

My initial dealings wasn't with Andy, as I have also read the "ecu" thread. I went directly to ARH because I thought I could buy directly from the source. It turns out mhp and arh had an agreement, but Nick was able to work out an agreement for a gp. Andy was very responsive to my questions and concerns, maybe he learned from his mistakes. With that being said, ARH did a fantastic job building the headers. The fit and finish is beautiful.

I'm constantly finding myself going a lot faster than I had anticipated. The sound is intoxicating!
Old 12-20-2014, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG Coupe
price? for those headers and 200cpi cats?
Old 12-20-2014, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

At least during the GB pricing was very attractive. I suggest you contact MHP to check whether it is still open.

For what it is worth: I have not dealt with MHP in the past, but now I bought the headers and the experience was totally positive: Mike Wells called me back, answered every question. He followed up and expedited shipping to match my install date and delivered every commitment incl. getting me new exhaust gaskets. Could not have been better.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG Coupe
ARH and MHP different headers (company) ?!
Old 12-20-2014, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As I understand it, MHP (Modern Horsepower) did the design of the C63 Long Tube Headers and they are using ARH (American Racing Headers) as fabricator, i.e. for that specific header ARH is a subcontractor for MHP.
ARH is a large header producer that makes their own designs as well (e.g for Corvettes and other American Muscle Cars that have way higher numbers of units sold than C63s). Mercedes AMGs are a small part of their production, but they have the manufacturing automation to ensure consistent quality.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks, Mike
Do you have any pictures of how your Benzworks headers connect to the OEM pipes?
Old 12-23-2014, 10:40 PM

2014 C63 507 Sedan
Anyone install the catless variety of these headers yet? And for those of you that went catted, any issues in the first week or are you still enjoying the upgrade? Thanks!
Old 12-24-2014, 09:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BigBadLarry
Anyone install the catless variety of these headers yet? And for those of you that went catted, any issues in the first week or are you still enjoying the upgrade? Thanks!
There are a few catless setups that are waiting for the spring to put the headers in. I'm definitely enjoying my setup. I find myself driving around in lower gears whenever I'm in an enclosed parking structure or tunnel.

I scheduled to go back to re-tighten the clamps and to make some adjustments if necessary.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I love the quality and power of the headers. I did not care for the sound at first. It does not sound like an AMG (deep rumble), but more like a cross breed between an AMG and Ferrari. Or like a Lambo. However, it is growing on me.

The thing I only slowly start to appreciate is the changed nature of the car. It just wants to GO. It is hard to not constantly succumb to the temptation and drive way too fast. I drove the car with my visiting brother-in-law and he said it would be way too stressful for him to own that car. He felt like you had to constantly put effort into keeping the lid on Pandora's box or risk getting bitten by it. Now, I do not have that problem. I quite like the liveliness and have no issue containing it.... :-)

I spoke to Mike Wells from MHP again yesterday (they called me to follow up and check all is fine - just to illustrate the kind of customer service they provide). He told me that the catless setup has a somewhat deeper tone (in addition to a gain of another 15-20 whp). Hmmmmm.....

The EC V5 blips now are too much. The engine revs so much more freely, that the engine rpm gets elevated to much and jolts the gearbox. And when downshifting when approaching a traffic light, it now totally sounds like doing it for effect, not for a purpose. For that reason and also because I prefer a custom tune, I may actually drive up to MHP and get a custom dyno tune from them, without the excessive blips.

Later I may still go with an Akrapovic slip-on and delete the resonator when doing so, but I am in no hurry.

I definitely will not go back from those headers to stock exhaust. It would feel too constrained now.

Here is my download. It is complex and totally depends on your personal preferences.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30
I love the quality and power of the headers. I did not care for the sound at first. It does not sound like an AMG (deep rumble), but more like a cross breed between an AMG and Ferrari. Or like a Lambo. However, it is growing on me.

The thing I only slowly start to appreciate is the changed nature of the car. It just wants to GO. It is hard to not constantly succumb to the temptation and drive way too fast. I drove the car with my visiting brother-in-law and he said it would be way too stressful for him to own that car. He felt like you had to constantly put effort into keeping the lid on Pandora's box or risk getting bitten by it. Now, I do not have that problem. I quite like the liveliness and have no issue containing it.... :-)

I spoke to Mike Wells from MHP again yesterday (they called me to follow up and check all is fine - just to illustrate the kind of customer service they provide). He told me that the catless setup has a somewhat deeper tone (in addition to a gain of another 15-20 whp). Hmmmmm.....

The EC V5 blips now are too much. The engine revs so much more freely, that the engine rpm gets elevated to much and jolts the gearbox. And when downshifting when approaching a traffic light, it now totally sounds like doing it for effect, not for a purpose. For that reason and also because I prefer a custom tune, I may actually drive up to MHP and get a custom dyno tune from them, without the excessive blips.

Later I may still go with an Akrapovic slip-on and delete the resonator when doing so, but I am in no hurry.

I definitely will not go back from those headers to stock exhaust. It would feel too constrained now.

Here is my download. It is complex and totally depends on your personal preferences.

interesting review. I wouldn't think headers would make the car jump to life that much.

the noise is what would worry me, I kind of like the sleeperness of the exhaust as is and i've heard video of the blips with headers and it sounds like freaking explosions going off just way too intense.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by rentzington
interesting review. I wouldn't think headers would make the car jump to life that much.

the noise is what would worry me, I kind of like the sleeperness of the exhaust as is and i've heard video of the blips with headers and it sounds like freaking explosions going off just way too intense.
Wobble definitely summed it up better than I did.

The headers definitely unhinges the motor and allows it to rev a lot smoother. Keep in mind that I'm posting my review without the correct header tune. I'm still on the stock V5 tune and the power gains is definitely there. I'm currently working with Jerry to resolve the issue I've been having with my handheld tuner. I can't wait for a proper header tune to fully optimize the headers.

In regards to your noise concern, the catted setup that both Wobble and I are using creates a unique noise. It doesn't sound like the typical shotgun blast that you normally hear from most Longtube headers. It sounds like a hybrid ferrari/amg sound, more refined. Don't get me wrong though, it's still loud, but not so loud that you're annoying everyone around you. The car sounds stock after it drops from high idle, and if you drive it in a mature manner, it sounds stock. The sound levels increase as your right foot digs deeper into the go fast pedal.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It is discrete/a sleeper until 2,500 rpm. Between 2,500 and 3,000 the monster awakens.........
Old 12-24-2014, 04:32 PM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
2017 C63S coupe '09 C63, '15 Durango RT, '14 Jeep SRT8
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
Wobble definitely summed it up better than I did.

The headers definitely unhinges the motor and allows it to rev a lot smoother. Keep in mind that I'm posting my review without the correct header tune. I'm still on the stock V5 tune and the power gains is definitely there. I'm currently working with Jerry to resolve the issue I've been having with my handheld tuner. I can't wait for a proper header tune to fully optimize the headers.

In regards to your noise concern, the catted setup that both Wobble and I are using creates a unique noise. It doesn't sound like the typical shotgun blast that you normally hear from most Longtube headers. It sounds like a hybrid ferrari/amg sound, more refined. Don't get me wrong though, it's still loud, but not so loud that you're annoying everyone around you. The car sounds stock after it drops from high idle, and if you drive it in a mature manner, it sounds stock. The sound levels increase as your right foot digs deeper into the go fast pedal.
Videos pleaseeee!
Old 12-24-2014, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My installer posted a video of a dyno run with my car here:

https://www.facebook.com/turninconcepts

Just scroll down a bit to get to it. And crank up the volume to get a realistic impression.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:25 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 & CLA45 AMG

Just scroll down a bit to get to it. And crank up the volume to get a realistic impression.

That sounds, really, really, really good! Congrats!
Old 12-24-2014, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30

see now that sounds pretty nice
Old 12-24-2014, 09:39 PM

2014 C63 507 Sedan
Thanks Jeff and Wobble64 for continuing to provide feedback! Very excited to get these headers installed. (Wobble - great dyno vid. Sounds fantastic!)
Old 12-25-2014, 09:21 AM

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
2024 GLE 63 S AMG SUV

Thanks for the link to the video. That sounds pretty good

If you have a chance after the Holidays are over, could you post another video of your car? Would love to hear it on cold start, idle and then with some revs

Thanks and Merry Christmas
Old 12-30-2014, 10:25 PM

2014 C63 507 Sedan
Just got these headers installed today. I went with a full catless setup so figured I would contribute a review. I’ve only been able to drive it home from the shop.. so no cold starts and no spirited driving yet.

First impressions are a) it sounds different and b) it’s noticeably, but not substantially, louder. The sound signature is more mid-rangy inside the cabin (though still deep), but also quite a bit louder when you’re on it. It sounds more open/raw/natural vs. the emissions-aware engineered AMG sound. I pressed it a couple times on the highway in C mode and everyone turned their head, so it’s probably way louder on the outside! Also happy to report there is no drone cruising on the highway (65-85 mph).

Keep in mind, I’d already had a secondary cat delete and so wasn’t as shocked with the new loudness. Also, not putting too much weight on the first few drives since everything needs to heat cycle and settle in (and the decel pops don’t seem to regularly occur until after a few drives).

Last note - the shop that installed them (not naming them) had some less than stellar reviews on the fitment/quality. It wasn't anything major, but still a bit of a downer to hear that before driving off with new headers. In the end, they made it work and said the power/sound will be there.

Overall, I'm thrilled to start a new driving experience with long tube headers.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:36 PM

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
2024 GLE 63 S AMG SUV
Larry,

Thanks for the update and review

Could you please expand on the fitment and quality issues that the installer described on the headers? Thanks

Last edited by JRHolt; 12-30-2014 at 11:38 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ARH Long Tube Headers/200 cell cats/x-pipe install