C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

ARH Long Tube Headers/200 cell cats/x-pipe install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 02:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63
Hopefully will have my cat-less setup installed this weekend I have an x pipe with no resonator and stock mufflers...,video clips to come!!!
Old 01-01-2015, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
The 200 cell cats were optional, but I didn't have any CEL after startup. So I'm happy about not having to worry about OBDII inspections.
Good to hear that. So, your EC V5 tune has the readiness monitors for the rear 02 sensors on? Did you buy them thru MHP or direct from ARH?
Old 01-01-2015, 11:02 PM

2014 C63 507 Sedan
Originally Posted by JRHolt
Could you please expand on the fitment and quality issues that the installer described on the headers? Thanks
Quality - they said the clamps and bolts were lower grade (didnt use the bolts). Other folks have claimed these are high quality so take with a grain of salt.

Fitment - the new 02 extensions were stretched tight, and they had to remove a heat shield to fit the headers in (the latter sounds like a known issue. Other MHP folks have driven many hard miles w/o a heat shield and no problems)

Both the shop and I considered these minor issues. I must say, these f"n headers are so sick! Loving them more and more each drive. Also love that I can cruise around in C mode and no one is the wiser.

Originally Posted by Sincity
So, your EC V5 tune has the readiness monitors for the rear 02 sensors on?
Not sure if Jeff sorted his tune issue yet, but EC provided me a V5 header tune with rear 02 delete. No CEL yet.

Last edited by ld63; 01-01-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:20 AM

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
2024 GLE 63 S AMG SUV
Thanks for the update Larry
Old 01-02-2015, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts
C63 507 with BS Body; 2008 SLK 55
I have heard from MHP, that the supplied black manifold bolts are stronger than the stock rods/nuts. We ended up not using them though, as my car is a 2014 and the stock hardware was in great shape. During the install some of the rods have to be removed no matter what to get the LTHs in.

On the second revision of the MHP headers the bungs for the rear 2 O2 sensors are now a bit further back. As a result the cable length is tight (but manageable).
Old 01-03-2015, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BigBadLarry
Not sure if Jeff sorted his tune issue yet, but EC provided me a V5 header tune with rear 02 delete. No CEL yet.
The problem with the O2 delete is that it will not pass OBDII smog. I have a friend with a CLKBS with the EC tune and LTs and cannot pass smog.
Old 01-03-2015, 02:18 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 & CLA45 AMG
The problem with the O2 delete is that it will not pass OBDII smog. I have a friend with a CLKBS with the EC tune and LTs and cannot pass smog.
I spoke with Nick @ ARH about this and he said the cats they use now don't require the rear 02s to be "shut off" so you will pass OBD emissions with their headers and cats. For those in strict emissions states that would seem to be a huge bonus. Just tell your tuner not to "shut off" the rear 02s and you will be good to go!
Old 01-03-2015, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Good to hear that. So, your EC V5 tune has the readiness monitors for the rear 02 sensors on? Did you buy them thru MHP or direct from ARH?
I'm still using the EC V5 tune right now. Due to the holidays, I haven't had time to sort out my issue with the MYGENIUS device, so I have not been able to get a header tune. My rear 02's have never been disabled. NY is a OBDII state and I do not have any issues with passing my emissions testing. That's one of the main reasons why I went with a catted setup, I didn't want to deal with failing emission testing. I also have not had any CEL pop up on my dash so far.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BigBadLarry
Quality - they said the clamps and bolts were lower grade (didnt use the bolts). Other folks have claimed these are high quality so take with a grain of salt.

Fitment - the new 02 extensions were stretched tight, and they had to remove a heat shield to fit the headers in (the latter sounds like a known issue. Other MHP folks have driven many hard miles w/o a heat shield and no problems)

Both the shop and I considered these minor issues. I must say, these f"n headers are so sick! Loving them more and more each drive. Also love that I can cruise around in C mode and no one is the wiser.

I agree that the 02 extensions could be an extra 3 inches longer, so that you can better route the extensions. Other than that, the extensions fit fine. There is no way around to avoid removal of the heat shield.

The bolts and clamps that were supplied by ARH appeared to be of pretty good quality. I used all the clamps that were supplied.

The sound from the headers is definitely awesome! Subtle and unobtrusive when you are light on the throttle, and loud when you get on the throttle.

My issue with the tune is due to technical issues with the MyGenius device. Hopefully, it'll be resolved soon...
Old 01-03-2015, 05:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It would probably be a good idea to connect an OBDII scanner and check for systems readiness, just to know for sure. Emissions systems not ready do not automatically trigger a CEL (e.g. O2 sensor test incomplete).
Not a concern for me here in Ohio, but I would make sure if I were in an OBDII emissions test state.
Old 02-27-2015, 06:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Update: Added Akrapovic Exhaust to ARH/MHP Headers

For me the LTHs setup with stock mufflers was simply too loud. I only dared to start the car with the garage door closed and I was catching myself many times to not step on the accelerator to avoid scaring people or attract undue attention. To go fast, I had to make it screech.

Hence I bit the bullet and spent over 3 grand on an Akrapovic slip on and installed it yesterday, leaving the stock resonator in place. Result: What a transformation! The deep throaty sound is back. Cold starts are reasonable. According to my taste, that sound suits the style of the C63 a lot better. It is now authoritative, deep and still sounds very much like a muscle car.

And guess what: My gas mileage dropped significantly right away - not because the engine consumes more, but because I now step on it and enjoy it so much more.
Getting the MHP LTH gets you 50 crank HP, and the Akra enables to keep the character and identity of the 6.2 l. That is the way to go - I could not be happier with the sound now!
Has anybody else done the same?

The next (and final?) step is to stop by at MHP in Columbus and get a custom dyno tune for my setup. Curious what it will net out.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Wobble64
For me the LTHs setup with stock mufflers was simply too loud. I only dared to start the car with the garage door closed and I was catching myself many times to not step on the accelerator to avoid scaring people or attract undue attention. To go fast, I had to make it screech.

Hence I bit the bullet and spent over 3 grand on an Akrapovic slip on and installed it yesterday, leaving the stock resonator in place. Result: What a transformation! The deep throaty sound is back. Cold starts are reasonable. According to my taste, that sound suits the style of the C63 a lot better. It is now authoritative, deep and still sounds very much like a muscle car.

And guess what: My gas mileage dropped significantly right away - not because the engine consumes more, but because I now step on it and enjoy it so much more.
Getting the MHP LTH gets you 50 crank HP, and the Akra enables to keep the character and identity of the 6.2 l. That is the way to go - I could not be happier with the sound now!

The next (and final?) step is to stop by at MHP in Columbus and get a custom dyno tune for my setup. Curious what it will net out.

That's an interesting view of the LT setup. I've actually been thinking that the LT setup isn't that loud at all. With the exception to the initial cold start, it sounds pretty stock. I think my issue is that my windows haven't been opened at all and I haven't heard how the car sounds from the outside.
Old 02-27-2015, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30

This website always makes me want to spend money !
Old 02-27-2015, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Jeff, come to the track day at Mid-Ohio March 28 and listen to my car. Let's compare them!

:-)
Old 02-27-2015, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Jeff, come to the track day at Mid-Ohio March 28 and listen to my car. Let's compare them!

:-)
Do you still have an open slot? I got the new job, so I'm available.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I thought I did not, but the track now informed me it was ok to bring a couple more participants! We will be somewhere between 24 and 26.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:40 PM

2014 C63 507 Sedan
That's an interesting view of the LT setup. I've actually been thinking that the LT setup isn't that loud at all. With the exception to the initial cold start, it sounds pretty stock. I think my issue is that my windows haven't been opened at all and I haven't heard how the car sounds from the outside.
Jeff - I've been driving around a bunch with the windows up lately, and it makes a difference. When you roll them down and punch it, you get a reminder of how beyond beastly it sounds.

I too have been debating getting a new catback, but something about the WOT scream of headers to stock catback makes me hesitant. Also, there's something about all my exhaust mods - they get better with time. It's almost like a foreign object at first, but then it gets accepted and everything gels together. It's really grown on me.

I do admit though, the sound at ~3K isnt my favorite. And sadly, I spend more time there than at 7k.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:42 PM

Received 55 Likes on 22 Posts
2008 MB C350 4MATIC/2011 CL63 AMG/2014 C63 Coupe 507
Hoping mine to be installed within 2 months. Damn snow and salt can go away any time now. *Catless MHP setup.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm still using the EC V5 tune right now. Due to the holidays, I haven't had time to sort out my issue with the MYGENIUS device, so I have not been able to get a header tune. My rear 02's have never been disabled. NY is a OBDII state and I do not have any issues with passing my emissions testing. That's one of the main reasons why I went with a catted setup, I didn't want to deal with failing emission testing. I also have not had any CEL pop up on my dash so far.
So you are saying that V5 tune has the readiness monitors on and you have passed OBDII emissions with the headers? Like Wobble64 said, you will not get a CEL if the readiness monitors are turned off. Plugging in an OBDII scanner will tell you.

Last edited by Sincity; 02-28-2015 at 08:41 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

So you are saying that V5 tune has the readiness monitors on and you have passed OBDII emissions with the headers? Like Wobble64 said, you will not get a CEL if the readiness monitors are turned off. Plugging in an OBDII scanner will tell you.
My V5 tune has the readiness monitor on, but I have not taken it for emissions testing yet. I'm due for one next month, I'll keep you informed.

I took my car out for a 500 mile drive this past Saturday and no cell issues at all. I plugged it into my OBDII scanner and I haven't seen any issues at all.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:31 PM

2012 C63 AMG P31
ARH MHP Headers

Just emailed ARH on a LTH CAT XPipe setup. Going with cats due to OBDII emissions in metro Atlanta. Curious if anyone near Atlanta has had tuning /performance installs done and can recommend a shop? I have a call into Buckhead Imports. Any others?
Old 03-12-2015, 09:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Give MHP a call. They may have a recommendation for an installer in the Atlanta area. They also set me up with one in Cincinnati.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My V5 tune has the readiness monitor on, but I have not taken it for emissions testing yet. I'm due for one next month, I'll keep you informed.

I took my car out for a 500 mile drive this past Saturday and no cell issues at all. I plugged it into my OBDII scanner and I haven't seen any issues at all.
Great. Please let us know.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
As many of you have figured out already, I recently picked up a set of headers from the warehouse at American Racing Headers. Nick, Steve, & Andy were fantastic to work with! They were extremely responsive to all my questions about their headers and installation instructions. They even offered to install the headers onto my car for a very reasonable price. I was very tempted to go with them for my install, but the distance and timing ultimately led to my decision to perform my own install. This was what awaited me when I picked up my headers.

American Racing/MHP Headers awaiting my pickup

Long Tube Headers Unboxed

200 cell high flow cats

ARH/MHP Long Tube Headers

The installation went relatively smoothly, and we were able to complete the installation from start to finish in 4 hours time. Keep in mind that the install was done on a lift and with access to all the necessary tools.

OEM downpipes removed and steering rack dropped.

Finally installed the ARH/MHP Long Tube Headers! 80% done with my install at this point.

Test fitting and making final adjustments before clamping down the pipes.

ARH/MHP headers installed into place!

Close up shot of 200 cell cats and x pipe

Close up shot of x pipe and rear pipes clearing the factory brace

For those of you who are contemplating performing the installation yourself, there are a few items that I should point out. You're going to need quite a few extensions and sockets to be able to get the OEM nuts off the studs of the OEM log manifolds. It isn't a joke when they say it helps to have small or extreme dexterity.

We started on the passenger side first as that was the easiest to uninstall. You can unscrew the 4 upper nuts off the log manifolds from the top of the car, I would highly suggest you do that before raising the car up. Unfortunately, you can't do that on the drivers side header. I am not joking when I well you that we spent about 20 mins each of the upper nuts on the drivers side header. It may be shocking to hear this, but the long tube headers is a lot easier to install as it has more room and clearance to do so. We ended up breaking one stud off the oem studs, apparently this is very common, but we found out that ARH was very attentive to every detail of the installation. They had provided grade 8 bolts (which are stronger than the oem brass nuts/studs).

ARH even designed the rear pipes to incorporate a donut design, so that you don't have to reuse the oem donut gasket.

I had to call Andy up with questions that arose as I was performing my Saturday afternoon installation and he was extremely accommodating. I don't have any experience dealing with any of the other vendors that sell headers, but I would expect nothing less than the service I received.

For those of you in the NYC area who needs any work performed on their car, my friend is a certified AMG tech who can do all this work for a reasonable price.

Andy of MHP is the man when it comes to these headers and this platform. Always has great customer service and stands behind his product. Now throw in some of their cams and let her eat
Old 05-22-2015, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I took my car in for NY OBDII inspection yesterday, and I was able to pass inspection with my ARH LT headers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ARH Long Tube Headers/200 cell cats/x-pipe install