C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

The worst part about the c63?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 03:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by the stiig
Maybe you missed the point... I wanted a comparison in ride comfort only. There were quite a few posts in this thread about being disappointed in the ride comfort with the C63, being too stiff/harsh. I apologize if you were offended by thinking I was saying a Civic and your C63 are in the same class and therefore should be compared directly.

No matter how big a jump I might go from my current daily driver to the next, I'll always be making my own comparisons between the two. How else do you get to be excited when you make an upgrade?
When it comes to ride comfort, for me it usually comes down to the seats. The seats are great and you never get any fatigue of any sort on your body. The suspension is probably stiffer and you feel more of the road but if you're aiming for more performance>luxury then you probably prefer stiff anyway. Overall IMO the comfort is much better than any <2008 standard Civic (non-SI) I have been in. Not sure how much of an improvement the SI seats are.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 door
Originally Posted by jakc
When it comes to ride comfort, for me it usually comes down to the seats. The seats are great and you never get any fatigue of any sort on your body. The suspension is probably stiffer and you feel more of the road but if you're aiming for more performance>luxury then you probably prefer stiff anyway. Overall IMO the comfort is much better than any <2008 standard Civic (non-SI) I have been in. Not sure how much of an improvement the SI seats are.
The seats suck! My Si really makes long drives a chore. I do prefer performance over luxury but I also want a performance car that doesn't beat me up on long drives. Makes me sound old saying that but I'm 28.

Anyways, sounds like the c63 is for sure an improvement in that aspect. Would still be good to hear how you guys like it for long drives.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:41 AM

2011 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by the stiig
The seats suck! My Si really makes long drives a chore. I do prefer performance over luxury but I also want a performance car that doesn't beat me up on long drives. Makes me sound old saying that but I'm 28.

Anyways, sounds like the c63 is for sure an improvement in that aspect. Would still be good to hear how you guys like it for long drives.
I drove from Calgary, AB to Kalispell, MT in one go in my C63. It wasn't bad, back felt fine, nothing was sore or hurt.

Trips like that make me want massage seats.
Old 12-19-2014, 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 401 Likes on 279 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
Originally Posted by GRam
Slow reacting trans (pull 3 times, get one gear lol )
I don't have mine yet, but why do people pull the downshift repeatedly?!
Why would you pull three times? It's only going to ever give you one gear at a time, and that's the next one down.
Perhaps repeatedly banging the downshift paddle just ends up confusing the software and slowing down the downshift?!
I never understood why some people do that in the videos. It makes it look like they don't know how to drive.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
'18 C63A Cabriolet
Originally Posted by jakc
For some reason, the seats in my '14 feel much more comfortable than those in my '09. Like the seat back isn't as narrow in the new car. Am I just imagining this or are the seat dimensions different now than before?
Old 12-19-2014, 12:33 PM

2013 C63 coupe P31
Originally Posted by Surge
I don't have mine yet, but why do people pull the downshift repeatedly?!
Why would you pull three times? It's only going to ever give you one gear at a time, and that's the next one down.
Perhaps repeatedly banging the downshift paddle just ends up confusing the software and slowing down the downshift?!
I never understood why some people do that in the videos. It makes it look like they don't know how to drive.
Simple example, you're on 7th gear at moderate speed, you want to overtake.
Step 1: Try to drop 3 gears with the manual.
Step 2: Pull your hair and yell at the gearbox.

There's a workaround for that though, keeping the down paddle pressed for a long time will drop it relatively quickly to the lowest gear. But it doesn't really help for when you only want to drop 2, etc. It's just a general thing, the gearbox gets in the way of your driving while any decent recent gearbox would accept your inputs just fine.
Old 12-19-2014, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by HBC350
For some reason, the seats in my '14 feel much more comfortable than those in my '09. Like the seat back isn't as narrow in the new car. Am I just imagining this or are the seat dimensions different now than before?
the coupes have more "forgiving" seats
Old 12-19-2014, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by alexmtl
Simple example, you're on 7th gear at moderate speed, you want to overtake.
Step 1: Try to drop 3 gears with the manual.
Step 2: Pull your hair and yell at the gearbox.

There's a workaround for that though, keeping the down paddle pressed for a long time will drop it relatively quickly to the lowest gear. But it doesn't really help for when you only want to drop 2, etc. It's just a general thing, the gearbox gets in the way of your driving while any decent recent gearbox would accept your inputs just fine.
I see, thanks.
But in sport+ would you get a faster downshift to 2nd, in this example?
Old 12-19-2014, 09:27 PM

Ford Truck, 2014 C63 AMG 507
Originally Posted by Surge
I see, thanks.
But in sport+ would you get a faster downshift to 2nd, in this example?
I rarely use M. But when S+ I find that the downshifts using the (-) paddle are fairly quick.
For up shifts I let it go as programmed. The shifts are quick.
Old 12-20-2014, 05:56 AM

2010 C63 AMG
1. Cooling - normal driving 100 - 103 degrees but any spirited driving and this climbs quickly. Not sure what limp mode temp is but it can quickly climb to 120 + so the enjoyment can be lost sometimes

2. Brake squeal. Heads turn from people and it aint the engine unfortunately

3. Reading this forum and seeing some new headbolt thread and then driving around with fingers and toes crossed the low coolant light doesn't come on for the next few days.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:16 AM

2010 c63 (p31) w/LSD
Originally Posted by buzzpop63
1. Cooling - normal driving 100 - 103 degrees but any spirited driving and this climbs quickly. Not sure what limp mode temp is but it can quickly climb to 120 + so the enjoyment can be lost sometimes

2. Brake squeal. Heads turn from people and it aint the engine unfortunately

3. Reading this forum and seeing some new headbolt thread and then driving around with fingers and toes crossed the low coolant light doesn't come on for the next few days.

1. Limp mode kicks in at about 290 degrees Fahrenheit, my car averages about 225 or so but one time I seen it hit 250 and I got worried till I read on this forum that the car will go into limp when it gets dangerous and that is about 290.

2. Get the porterfields. After I bought my car I was embarrassed, the noise at every stop was huge. I did some research on this forum and got the Porterfield RS4 pads front and rear and now there is no noise, very little dust on wheel and they bite at least as good as the OEM parts did.

3. I was worried about this when I was shipping for my car 9 months ago, My solution was to buy the MB extended warranty for about $2700 this was a good size expense and maybe for nothing but I sleep better knowing this covers me on anything major happening for the 3.5 years I plan on owning the car. I know I am covered by MB directly with a warranty that has no deductible. Knowing these engines in crate form are about $50-60k and being that I financed my car I didn't want to take that risk of owing $30+k on something that if the motor catastrophically fails (I know the odds are super low) is a parts car. With that being said I really think when I am out of warranty in 32 months and the car then has 75,000 miles on it the car will be up for sale.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:53 AM

2010 C63 AMG
1. Good to know - I hit 128 / 129 just following traffic up a mountain run. Not that I would track my car but can see why these wouldn't be ideal to do so. I just don't know how they would have done the many miles of testing at the nurburgring etc and this not been an issue ?

2. I have read many times about these pads and they seem to be very good. I am not sure if any AUS members read this and can advise how getting pads like these work i.e. does the local brake pad workshop / mechanic have them or are they only a specialty item that you have to order ?

3. Not an option for me with any extended warranty but fingers crossed if any issue arises, M/Benz goodwill will cover most costs and if I am $5k out of pocket, then so be it.

I must say as a 115kg 5/11 person, I find it strange to hear complaints on the seat comfort. I think being snug in a car like this is ideal and love the seats. Having a line of beemers prior which were just like comfy armchairs which were great for cruising but take a corner at speed and there is nothing to hold those love-handles in place.

In regards to the gas mileage, I only use the car on weekends but have to fill up every weekend. Its all good but can only laugh at how much petrol you can go through when you try. I use the petrol light coming on as a marker to fill up and have gotten seriously 450kms before having the light come on (all freeway cruising) and as an experiment, drove the car pretty hard in city conditions and got 185kms before the light came on.

So wrong yet so right
Old 02-09-2015, 12:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
You summed up the e63 perfectly!

C300 owners have "whopping" repair bills too, the best advice is never own a Benz, and definitely never own an amg out of warranty ...
Not at all - unless you are unlucky. The C63 has had a solid reliability record. Just look at this forum - there are very few complaints. And most of the issues come from people with modified or tracked cars, meaning that it's impossible to pin that on MB.
Old 02-09-2015, 07:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C63
Lack of aftermarket support
Old 02-09-2015, 09:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C63S
2. I have read many times about these pads and they seem to be very good. I am not sure if any AUS members read this and can advise how getting pads like these work i.e. does the local brake pad workshop / mechanic have them or are they only a specialty item that you have to order ?
Haven't found them locally for us... Will have to order in from overseas from a vendor. I'll be looking into this shortly as I'm sick of the excessive dust.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG 507 Edition
Slightly necro thread, but my main gripes are:

1. Lack of rear wheel traction. There is nowhere near enough rear wheel traction for the power / torque of this car.

2. The transmission. The lack of control that even M mode gives you is disappointing.

3. The oil cooling fan. Even during normal driving on a warm day the cooling fan spins up and starts making this overwhelming cacophony of noise.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C63S
Not sure if mentioned yet but on top of everything else that's been mentioned so far:

1) Wiper sensors have a mind of their own. When there's low drizzle, the wipers suddenly come on at max speed. Or sometimes the opposite (too slow when it's raining heavily).

2) Parking sensors seem to be slow in responding. Sometimes they come in just a second too late when I'm already too close.

Note: These are are for pre-FL 2010.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:11 PM

MY12 C63 P/P
Originally Posted by Bardman

1. Lack of rear wheel traction. There is nowhere near enough rear wheel traction for the power / torque of this car.

2. The transmission. The lack of control that even M mode gives you is disappointing.

3. The oil cooling fan. Even during normal driving on a warm day the cooling fan spins up and starts making this overwhelming cacophony of noise.
Completely agree, along with...
Originally Posted by Phorte
1) Wiper sensors have a mind of their own. When there's low drizzle, the wipers suddenly come on at max speed. Or sometimes the opposite (too slow when it's raining heavily).

2) Parking sensors seem to be slow in responding. Sometimes they come in just a second too late when I'm already too close.
Mine is an FL PP sedan.

Try this thread for a Porterfield source in Australia:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ie-buyers.html
Old 02-10-2015, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
None for now
No dual-clutch transmission.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:27 PM

W204 C63 Bone Stock; E36 M3 Supercharged 400WHP; X5 parts eater
Manual shift on tranny too slow.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:24 PM

2011 C63 P31, 2012 ML350, 2007 335i E93
Originally Posted by Bardman

Isn't the lack of rear wheel traction due to the enormous amount of power /torque? Especially with no LSD. Thus it eats rear tires in about 6-7K miles. Less if you are aggressive.

Originally Posted by Phorte
Not sure if mentioned yet but on top of everything else that's been mentioned so far:

+1. Must be a C class thing, because my 2011 C300 did the same thing.

Drive comfort to me is fine. Have driven from N Alabama to DFW, Wash DC, both about 12 hour one ways..
Old 02-11-2015, 12:54 PM

C63
Cam position sensor and exhaust sensor

Yesterday started car, in garage, backed out and pulled down the driveway.
Turned onto road and it sounded like most of the internals were exiting the block or something.
Had it taken to Dealer. The right cam position sensor and right exhaust sensor are toast and being replaced under warranty.
Since right side is bad I would like both sides replaced assuming there is near equal wear.
Have I any way to insist on both being changed?
I don't want o replace them after it is out of warranty. Everything is pricey onthese cars.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:11 PM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 E400 Coupe
i sold my 12 after just 14 months because of traction or should i say lack of it. Great car in most other respects.
Old 02-12-2015, 08:45 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63
Lead foot, didn't realize I had one...
Old 02-12-2015, 10:33 PM

C63 AMG 507 Edition
Originally Posted by Spearsba
Isn't the lack of rear wheel traction due to the enormous amount of power /torque? Especially with no LSD. Thus it eats rear tires in about 6-7K miles. Less if you are aggressive
I have an LSD.

Power / torque are great, but you need rubber on the road to transfer it into forward motion.

Cayman GT4 has 295 rears and 310 lb/ft torque, C63 has 255 rears and 442 lb/ft torque.

I dont really care about wearing out rear tyres, I just dont like the fact that I cant enjoy the high power / torque a lot of the time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The worst part about the c63?