C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Replacing Rear Turn Signals

Old 12-23-2014, 01:05 PM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2011 C63
Replacing Rear Turn Signals

I have a 2011 C63.

I have been getting an intermittent left rear turn signal out message. It's real because the flashing frequency doubles when the rear light is out. I thought it would get fixed when I had the tail light recall performed a month ago, but no such luck.

So I took the car to the dealer and they said I needed a new left rear turn signal light and that it was an LED and built into the tail light assembly. Luckily they covered it under warranty since I had complained before that it was a problem while the car was still under warranty.

First off, is it really true, are the turn signals LED's? And second, is the only way to replace them is to replace the $200 tail light assembly? Seems a bit harsh.
Old 12-23-2014, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 289 Posts
'10 C63
Yup. With the lighting package, the rear turn signals are LEDs. I have no clue why they didn't make the brake lights LEDs too. There's no way to replace them other than to have a new light put in. It's strange because they should last a very long time. I'd be willing to bet that it wasn't the LEDs themselves, but some other circuitry with the light (some circuit board or something they are soldered to). Good thing it's covered for you.
Old 12-23-2014, 02:49 PM

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
2011 C63
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
Yup. With the lighting package, the rear turn signals are LEDs. I have no clue why they didn't make the brake lights LEDs too. There's no way to replace them other than to have a new light put in. It's strange because they should last a very long time. I'd be willing to bet that it wasn't the LEDs themselves, but some other circuitry with the light (some circuit board or something they are soldered to). Good thing it's covered for you.
Actually I do not have the lighting package. I agree with you that it's most likely something other than the LEDs themselves that caused the intermittent failures.

Last edited by glennhl; 12-23-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
12 C63 Coupe
to answer your question

yes only the turn signals are LED