Electric exhaust cutouts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 11:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
This and that.
Electric exhaust cutouts

I am contemplating getting this on my C63, does anyone else has one of these or a variation there of? I am interested in hearing how the car sounds with them open and closed.

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2015, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
Is no one familiar with this mod? From what I have researched and talked to people about, it seems like this should be one of the more popular exhaust mods and yet I haven't seen much info on it around here.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Yup, I have it done along with a resonator delete (x-pipe in its place). Cold start is loud as ****. Other than that, it isn't ungodly loud (but then again I'm used to really loud cars like my Trans am which has longtubes and straight pipes to the back. No sound clips, but if I get around to it I'll try and post one in the next week or two. I like being able to go from louder to bone stock quiet at a push of a button.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63 AMG P31

Like so? Our shop did this one, It's on an E46 M3. They are amazingly loud when you open them up. Sounds NIIIICE.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 289 Posts
'10 C63
^^^any sound clips?
Old 01-03-2015, 10:42 PM

2011 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
^^^any sound clips?
Might have one on the computer at the shop, I'll check Monday.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
Hey Toxic I am not sure if what you posted is the same thing i am talking about. Here's a link to the product I am talking about

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...0833K/10002/-1

Essentially they do a cut out in the exhaust system before the resonator or at least after the primary cats (I am not too clear on this) and wire this with a button close to drivers seat and with the flick of a switch you can open/close the cut out making the car sound completely stock to really loud instantaneously.

Here's another link

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/

And CPD SLK- which cut out did you buy and install on your vehicle? Any links?
Old 01-04-2015, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 289 Posts
'10 C63
Yeah, thats what toxic posted. The valve is just before the muffler. Thats what that dump pipe is. Hit the switch and the exhaust can exit before the muffler. Or close it and the car uses the standard exhaust canister.
Old 01-04-2015, 04:09 PM

2011 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
Yeah, thats what toxic posted. The valve is just before the muffler. Thats what that dump pipe is. Hit the switch and the exhaust can exit before the muffler. Or close it and the car uses the standard exhaust canister.
Yup, that car was straight piped back to the muffler, so essentially it's the same thing. It's just terminated at the rear 1/4 of the car to comply with laws (exhaust has to terminate there as to stop potential suffocation). You could certainly terminate it wherever you want, and most exhaust shops will. We just like to adhere to the rules

Too bad our cars aren't turbo, they would sound amazing with a screamer pipe!

If I can schedule something with my welder... I might just have to try a set of those badboys. Could be scary as hell! I imagine these right off my midpipes would cause quite the commotion.

Last edited by ToXicXxX; 01-04-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
Nice, so wondering if you guys have video clips of this mod. I am surprised that this is not a more popular mod for our cars because I keep hearing from everyone that they don't want to lose the original AMG bark but would just like it louder. From the sounds of it this does exactly that and also gives you an option to sound completely stock by having the valve closed if that's what you want.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:25 PM

2011 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by papashango
Nice, so wondering if you guys have video clips of this mod. I am surprised that this is not a more popular mod for our cars because I keep hearing from everyone that they don't want to lose the original AMG bark but would just like it louder. From the sounds of it this does exactly that and also gives you an option to sound completely stock by having the valve closed if that's what you want.
Honestly, this car will probably be way too loud with them. I imagine there may also be some fire spat out (those pops and crackles you hear are gasoline igniting in your pipes, the mufflers are all that stop physical flames from exiting your exhaust).

I will attempt it if I can get it done fairly cheap (I can MIG weld, but not nearly well enough! So I'll have to pay).

There isn't much horsepower to be gained from this, mainly just noise (the stock Eissmann mufflers are extremely efficient, my Akrapovic only netted about 2hp). That bark is also mainly generated by the mufflers, as when I had the Akrapovic I for the most part lost it.

Last edited by ToXicXxX; 01-04-2015 at 05:32 PM.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
I have the QTP cutouts and they have been great so far.

Others have used DMH, but DMH has iffy customer service and never answers the phone. Not worth the hassle. I like the improved QTP design anyways. There is pretty much only one place towards the rear that they will fit FYI. I'll try to at least take some pics and a quick startup video for you this week

I got mine off of ebay I think if I recall correctly (new).
Hey Toxic I am not sure if what you posted is the same thing i am talking about. Here's a link to the product I am talking about

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS+Performan...0833K/10002/-1

Essentially they do a cut out in the exhaust system before the resonator or at least after the primary cats (I am not too clear on this) and wire this with a button close to drivers seat and with the flick of a switch you can open/close the cut out making the car sound completely stock to really loud instantaneously.

Here's another link

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/

And CPD SLK- which cut out did you buy and install on your vehicle? Any links?
Old 01-05-2015, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
Originally Posted by ToXicXxX
Honestly, this car will probably be way too loud with them. I imagine there may also be some fire spat out (those pops and crackles you hear are gasoline igniting in your pipes, the mufflers are all that stop physical flames from exiting your exhaust).

I will attempt it if I can get it done fairly cheap (I can MIG weld, but not nearly well enough! So I'll have to pay).

There isn't much horsepower to be gained from this, mainly just noise (the stock Eissmann mufflers are extremely efficient, my Akrapovic only netted about 2hp). That bark is also mainly generated by the mufflers, as when I had the Akrapovic I for the most part lost it.
Wow..flames? Saw a Lambo once doing that driving in front of me, thought it was super cool but unachievable without thousands in mods and turbos etc. That would be super cool (if safe). Although what I am truly after is more pops, cracks and blips and overall louder sound without the rasp/drone or losing the AMG bark. Just trying to see if I can find some videos before I go ahead with it.

Originally Posted by CPD SLK
I have the QTP cutouts and they have been great so far.

Others have used DMH, but DMH has iffy customer service and never answers the phone. Not worth the hassle. I like the improved QTP design anyways. There is pretty much only one place towards the rear that they will fit FYI. I'll try to at least take some pics and a quick startup video for you this week

I got mine off of ebay I think if I recall correctly (new).
Thanks QTP is what I am considering too just wish I could hear some with the exact set up. Although yours isn't exact it will be somewhat helpful I am sure, although I think yours would be louder than just the cut out since you have other parts removed.
Old 01-05-2015, 02:13 AM

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
06 SL65AMG, 13 Tesla Model S 60kwh, 02 Jaguar S-Type 3.0, 12 S550 4 Matic, 07 E320 Bluetec, 06 LX470
+1 on the QTP cutouts, I could provide a sound clip but prob not what you want to hear since I have a completely different motor. That pop and crackle sound when your on WOT to redline then shift puts a smile on every time. It will scare the crap out of some people too when they hear it lol
Old 01-05-2015, 03:31 AM

2011 C63 AMG P31
Much more pops and crackles can be had with LTH. My car backfires if I go into the throttle and let up hard in any gear. Scares the crap out of everyone around me.

Only car I've seen in the wild (other then SEMA) that shot flames was a R32 GTR that was literally dumping tons of fuel into the exhaust. It was constant fire.

Last edited by ToXicXxX; 01-05-2015 at 03:35 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by ToXicXxX
<snip>
Only car I've seen in the wild (other then SEMA) that shot flames was a R32 GTR that was literally dumping tons of fuel into the exhaust. It was constant fire.
I guess you haven't seen a Porsche 928 GT in the wild.

Flame is around the 56-second mark.

Last edited by Diabolis; 11-06-2020 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
So doing the cutouts makes your car flame up? Sounds a bit much to me? Don't you needs tons more power and what not? The Lambo I saw had constant flames shooting out, looked amazing.
Old 01-12-2015, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
So doing the cutouts makes your car flame up? Sounds a bit much to me? Don't you needs tons more power and what not? The Lambo I saw had constant flames shooting out, looked amazing.
Are you talking about artificially producing flames, or simply an engine that has been tuned to run a little rich on the overrun and you get unburnt gas igniting when it hits the hot exhaust resulting in the occasional flame spit? I don't know what that Lambo was doing, but with a rear-engined car and/or a slightly rich fuel map it is easy as pie. There are a couple of track-prepped and properly tuned 911s at the shop that shoot 3' flames out the exhaust every time you lift off the throttle above 3500 rpm.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
I have no idea how flames get produced I just always assumed it was only the super powerful cars that could do them. But it sounds like something that is not a big deal from what I am understand. I don't know if I would want my car to do it, although it would look super cool and menacing, I think it would be a safety issue too lol.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:48 PM

2011 C63 AMG P31
I have no idea how flames get produced I just always assumed it was only the super powerful cars that could do them. But it sounds like something that is not a big deal from what I am understand. I don't know if I would want my car to do it, although it would look super cool and menacing, I think it would be a safety issue too lol.
An unrestricted exhaust and momentary rich conditions is all it takes. Hot exhaust + fuel = auto ignition. That's why when you floor it then let off the gas quickly you'll get burbles. The small bit of lag between input and response lets a cloud of unignited fuel shoot into the exhaust. It auto ignites as soon as it hits the hot cats or headers.

A lot of racing turbo cars are tuned specifically for this, it's anti-lag. It keeps the turbo spooled so instant boost can be had.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Cut outs are what hicks do with their trans ams
Old 01-14-2015, 08:32 AM

2011 C63
^^^ hahhahahaha
Old 01-14-2015, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
First of all, you aren't going to have your cutouts exit the back of your car. So any of these flames your throwing are going to be underneath your car.

Next, all the cutouts do is dump out loud sound really. Just unfiltered tractor sounds.

I had a cutout on my big turbo STI. Yea, it was cool, but I would never even consider it on this car. You want loud? Get LTH's. Not loud enough? Get your ears checked because you're hearing is already gone.

Merc is spot on with this one.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:40 AM

2011 C63
As I have just gone lth route with no cats and no res it's the way to go if you want LLLOOOUUUDDD!
Old 01-14-2015, 10:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
the lambo aventador is kind of legendary for its exhaust built to flame up:

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Electric exhaust cutouts