C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Manual Speedometer Software Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2015, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG 2012 PP
Smile Manual Speedometer Software Problem

Hi Guys (am currently a member but had to re register as trouble with old account!)

Wonder if you can help...

I frequently drive in manual and often like to take the revs to max (just before the redline) and await the prompt in the middle of the speedometer to change gear as it would tell me

However... in recent weeks I have notice the screen prompt me to change up two gears consecutively which is strange?

for example- I am driving in second, foot flat away prompt to change in 3rd, that happens then instantaneously it will prompt for me to change into 4th before I have changed into 3rd.

Im pretty sure this never happened before and that this is a recent issue?

Does anyone else have this? is this normal? or am I right in saying that this shouldn't happen.

Im sure that in times gone by when I have taken revs to hard to the end it would only ever prompt me to the next upward gear only?

I thank you for your thoughts
Old 01-04-2015, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
There is so much torque (and thus acceleration) at max revs in second gear and the gear ratio difference between 2nd and 3rd is fairly small, so from the moment the upshift indicator comes on by the time the transmission actually shifts into third, you have already climbed another 800 RPM or so which again causes the upshift indicator to illuminate. It's not a problem (software or otherwise) - it's exactly what the ECU is supposed to do. If you get it to 6000 RPM in fifth gear and shift into sixth, I suspect that it would take a little longer to promt you to upshift into 7th.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
It turns red as you approach redline or, in your case, if it detects excessive wheelspin. It's telling you "hey! Upshift so the tires can grab!" In manual mode it just tells you to shift. In comfort or sport it will do it for you.