C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Front plate remedies?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 06:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Front plate remedies?

So I have been using the tow hook in the front to attach my front plates since Calif. has strict laws about having the front plates.. The issue I have with this is that sometimes the hook gets loose and the plate starts moving around, it actually scratched my bumper a little from doing that. Ive decided to take it off until I can find another solution to keeping the front plate on. Anyone else have any better ideas on how to attach the front plate? Can I maybe ziptie or use some self flex screws to attach the front plate to the lower portion grill on the front bumper?
Old 01-06-2015, 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
I hear you. Every time I take my car to the shop, the plate comes back crooked bc they lean on it. Then when I try to straighten it, it gets loose, so I have to take the whole thing apart and tighten it.

I've seen someone make a color actual sized decal of their plate and stick that mother to the bumper. Not sure of it's legal here in CA, and I actually don't remember which state the guy was from.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63 BS
Use double sided 3M automotive tape. I've used that and it never came loose, its also padded and gives a gap between the plate and the paint, so no scratches.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:46 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
I hear you. Every time I take my car to the shop, the plate comes back crooked bc they lean on it. Then when I try to straighten it, it gets loose, so I have to take the whole thing apart and tighten it.

I've seen someone make a color actual sized decal of their plate and stick that mother to the bumper. Not sure of it's legal here in CA, and I actually don't remember which state the guy was from.
Yup that too, or people pass by and accidentally bump into it and it gets loose.. Come to think of it, it actually looks bad cause the hook sticks out further than what I want it to be at..
Old 01-06-2015, 07:47 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by qjumpr
Use double sided 3M automotive tape. I've used that and it never came loose, its also padded and gives a gap between the plate and the paint, so no scratches.
I havent heard of this one before, sounds like a decent idea but not sure if it would somehow fall off somewhere down the road because the 3M tape doesnt stick that well to the metal license plate from what Ive heard
Old 01-06-2015, 09:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2009 C63 2016 AMG GT S
Mass is the same way with front plates.
I trimmed mine and have it fitted on the bottom mesh. Not sure it has any negative effect on airflow, but I've had no issues for the last year.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Im in CA too, never had the front plate on and never plan on it. Did the same with another of my cars, and its been off from day one, been 8 years now, no tickets or anything.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:16 AM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
2012 C63 P31 sedan
I'm using 3M molding tape. 15 months no issues whatsoever. I put it in the middle of the front bumper and bent the plate to fit the contour of the bumper.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Originally Posted by SaphGreyC63
Im in CA too, never had the front plate on and never plan on it. Did the same with another of my cars, and its been off from day one, been 8 years now, no tickets or anything.
I went a while without a front plate in LA as well. It's a fix-it ticket anyway, afaik.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:42 AM

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
C63 AMG
I bought this for my 2011 C63 because i didn't want to drill holes in the bumper itself. The goal was to use a couple bolts & large washers and place it in the bottom black plastic bit.

Amazon.com: Bell Automotive 22-1-46230-8 Adjustable Mounting Bracket for License Plate Frame: Automotive Amazon.com: Bell Automotive 22-1-46230-8 Adjustable Mounting Bracket for License Plate Frame: Automotive

I found out about it here in MBWorld in some thread from around 2011/2012 asking this exact same thing. Apparently it's popular with the M3 crowd also, but they showed pics of some drilling it into the bottom of their front lip.

I bought mine at the local autozone, but to be honest, I've never taken it out of the packaging. Texas does indeed require a front plate, but luckily most police officers don't seem to mind.

Since I've never used it, I can't comment on its effects to engine temps/air flow/etc but IIRC in the ancient MBW thread this was first referenced in, other AMG owners did chime in saying the plastic grill is strong enough to handle the wind at speeds without cracking.

HTH
Old 01-07-2015, 05:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
I just pay the ticket... If I ever get them
Old 01-07-2015, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
I just pay the ticket... If I ever get them
I was running without a front plate in NYC for the 1st few years. The $115 tickets by the NYPD persuaded me to change my mind. I now use the RHOPlate tow hook mounted front plate. My RHO front plate holder has been pretty sturdy and has only come loose once in the last few years. I would definitely recommend that as an option.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 C63 P31
When I first picked up my 11 c63 about 8 months ago, it didnt have a front plate mounted at all. I was considering the tow hook as my friend had it own his audi and it looks nice and was less invasive. I also considered the "hide-away" plate that motorizes horitzontal under the bumper.

Unfortunately, when I took my car into the dealership a few weeks after I picked it up to check on a plastic rattle, the dealer told me:

"hey we also received your tags and mounted you plate for you"

I looked at my car and they had drilled into my front bumper. Needless to say I was livid.

At least it looks professional with the crease down the middle of the plate as it bends around the bumper, but still, this is the first sports car I ever owned with a front plate, and I thought I was going to go the more "adult" legal route with the tow hook and the decision was made for me.

I'd be lying if I just found a little solace in the situation hearing from some of you that the tow hook setup has a few alignment issues.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
I would have murdered someone if that^ had happened without asking me first.

Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
This is what I had on my 996TT in London, where it's legal. I did some research on this, and it's only legal here in the US for 'show' cars. It appears that it's hit-or-miss on whether a cop is actually going to care enough to give you a ticket. More likely if he's stopping you for doing something else that was stupid. I'd definitely risk it, however my lack of a CA front plate here in NYC doesn't seem to matter at all. Just take a super hi-res picture of the plate and have a vinyl/sign shop make a sticker.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
I would have murdered someone if that^ had happened without asking me first.

This is what I had on my 996TT in London, where it's legal. I did some research on this, and it's only legal here in the US for 'show' cars. It appears that it's hit-or-miss on whether a cop is actually going to care enough to give you a ticket. More likely if he's stopping you for doing something else that was stupid. I'd definitely risk it, however my lack of a CA front plate here in NYC doesn't seem to matter at all. Just take a super hi-res picture of the plate and have a vinyl/sign shop make a sticker.
I honestly don't understand why it wouldn't be legal. People might say "oh but then you could print any license plate and get away with it...." well yeah, but I could do that with a real, metal license plate too.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:31 PM

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
2010 C63 P31
I have had a RHO tow hook mount for over a year with no issues. Just put loc tite on and it should be good to go.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Go to a custom print company and have them copy and print the plate on a vinyl sheet with stick back and slap it one. Peel it off and stick it on whenever you feel like it. Voila!
Old 01-07-2015, 05:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
I've just not been willing to do it as I don't want to drill and I like the tow-hook option even less. So I'm risking a ticket. The 3M padded tape, by the way, will stick like crazy and you should have no issues with it, so long as you get the padded automotive variety made for trim, wheel weights, etc.

Front plate laws are lame...
Old 01-07-2015, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 Sedan
I live downtown chicago where cops will give you tickets for anything and have had my plates cut up like I did in this pic for 3 years now and never gotten a ticket. Used double sided tape and palte never came off.

Old 01-07-2015, 08:57 PM

Received 115 Likes on 70 Posts
2009 c63
Originally Posted by C63-AMG
Mass is the same way with front plates.
I trimmed mine and have it fitted on the bottom mesh. Not sure it has any negative effect on airflow, but I've had no issues for the last year.

Same here... no air flow issues, but you might on a track in a warm climate.

I took a bunch of pics of modifying the bracket and I used stainless steel zip ties from Lowes.