Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A V8
Clean carfax, but no paint?

So here is the car in question.

http://www.fercomotors.com/inventory...GF7HB6BF554595

I personally went to the auction today to inspect it. Headbolts are fine as per the thread above, car has been serviced well, good condition. One problem, the carfax. Says it was hit in rear and had front impact as well.

I go in to inspect, and i cannot find anywhere that has had paintwork. (I paint for a living, so i'am confident in my abilities to spot paintwork) there was 0 sign of refinish work. And it's black, so i know for a fact i wouldn't have missed anything. My question is, how the hell can this be?
Old 01-19-2015, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by solekeeper
So here is the car in question.

http://www.fercomotors.com/inventory...GF7HB6BF554595

I personally went to the auction today to inspect it. Headbolts are fine as per the thread above, car has been serviced well, good condition. One problem, the carfax. Says it was hit in rear and had front impact as well.

I go in to inspect, and i cannot find anywhere that has had paintwork. (I paint for a living, so i'am confident in my abilities to spot paintwork) there was 0 sign of refinish work. And it's black, so i know for a fact i wouldn't have missed anything. My question is, how the hell can this be?
Only thing I can think of was the bumpers were hit and possibly replaced with OEM parts which may or may not theoretically show paint damage? Especially if it happened early on?
Old 01-19-2015, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A V8
Originally Posted by SaphGreyC63
Only thing I can think of was the bumpers were hit and possibly replaced with OEM parts which may or may not theoretically show paint damage? Especially if it happened early on?

good thought, but even if they were replaced with OE parts, they had to be painted. And black ALWAYS shows SOMETHING... even a nit of dirt. I want to get this car, but i don't feel like gambling on 38k.

Unless, they found used junkyard parts? but the bumpers were way too clean for that..and if in fact they replaced the rear bumper due to a high speed collision, there would have been some kind of bend, kink, in the trunk floor. Which there is 0 trace of. Idkk what to do.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
You inspected the car and didn't find anything wrong. Just go for it!
Otherwise move on. So many used C63 on the market. You should be able to find a model giving you less headaches
What are the odds carfax has the wrong info?
But I'm confused with your thread title. Is the carfax clean or not?
Old 01-20-2015, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2015.5 Volvo V60 Polestar
Carfax is not the end all be all. I have seen cars with chassis kinks that have clean carfaxes.

Maybe it wasn't that serious for the Benz, and it was buffed out, then reported? Or found a factory painted bumper.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A V8
Originally Posted by abcut973
You inspected the car and didn't find anything wrong. Just go for it!
Otherwise move on. So many used C63 on the market. You should be able to find a model giving you less headaches
What are the odds carfax has the wrong info?
But I'm confused with your thread title. Is the carfax clean or not?

i don't know what i was thinking. it's a dirty carfax.. lol

i passed on it today.. pearl white 2013 with 2 tone interior and p31 going up for sale on thursday, i'll have to pay 1k to get it to florida from vegas, but i wanttttt ittttt
Old 01-22-2015, 05:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3-pointed star
i don't know what i was thinking. it's a dirty carfax.. lol

i passed on it today.. pearl white 2013 with 2 tone interior and p31 going up for sale on thursday, i'll have to pay 1k to get it to florida from vegas, but i wanttttt ittttt
When you get it, checkout my signature
Old 01-22-2015, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A V8
Originally Posted by SL55_Forever
When you get it, checkout my signature

car did too much money today at the auction.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
How much did it go for at auction? The 2013 that is... and miles? If you don't mind me asking.
Old 01-22-2015, 08:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A V8
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
How much did it go for at auction? The 2013 that is... and miles? If you don't mind me asking.

52k. it's technically a good deal. because any dealer would have that particular car for about 55-60k. it was full optioned (p31 also)

i just couldn't justify it because i wouldn't be keeping the car for very long. so maybe i'll dial it back and look for a 12' again.

edit, had 14k miles.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63 AMG P31
I had replaced my bumper and had it painted by a very high end shop, and the previous owner repainted the hood as well. 100% cannot tell, and I too work in the industry.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A V8
Originally Posted by ToXicXxX
I had replaced my bumper and had it painted by a very high end shop, and the previous owner repainted the hood as well. 100% cannot tell, and I too work in the industry.

what do you do?

i find it hard to believe someone can shoot a hood and not have it be detectable. I firmly believe there is always something, somewhere..
Old 01-22-2015, 10:25 PM

2011 C63 AMG P31
what do you do?

i find it hard to believe someone can shoot a hood and not have it be detectable. I firmly believe there is always something, somewhere..
Performance work. But I'm also an adept detailer haha.

The guys who did both paint jobs are the only shop in my City who can do Matte paint, and mostly for on Ferrari. They don't let anything less then 100% leave the shop.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
what do you do?

I have to agree with you on that. Even if they color sanded the part there is always some little detail.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A V8
Performance work. But I'm also an adept detailer haha.

The guys who did both paint jobs are the only shop in my City who can do Matte paint, and mostly for on Ferrari. They don't let anything less then 100% leave the shop.

sounds good in theory...

A perfect finish sometimes isn't even obtained from factory in a controlled environment with excellent airflow, and machines shooting cars. i believe my shop does a pretty darn good job when we do our refinish work, but until i see otherwise, i firmly believe that nothing can be 100 percent. We both have our opinions, that's fine.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:49 PM

2011 C63 AMG P31
sounds good in theory...

A perfect finish sometimes isn't even obtained from factory in a controlled environment with excellent airflow, and machines shooting cars. i believe my shop does a pretty darn good job when we do our refinish work, but until i see otherwise, i firmly believe that nothing can be 100 percent. We both have our opinions, that's fine.
I've also found it's hard to find repairs in black paint versus a light colour. I hope no one ever hits my White M3... For instance.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A V8
I've also found it's hard to find repairs in black paint versus a light colour. I hope no one ever hits my White M3... For instance.

huh? black is literally the easiest color to see defects in. lighter colors reflect. darker colors absorb, therefore showing everything.

i'm curious to see the hood you got painted.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:35 PM

2011 C63 AMG P31
huh? black is literally the easiest color to see defects in. lighter colors reflect. darker colors absorb, therefore showing everything.

i'm curious to see the hood you got painted.
No one has ever noticed anything on my old car. I really beg to differ, whites have to be perfect to match.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A V8
No one has ever noticed anything on my old car. I really beg to differ, whites have to be perfect to match.

ah, you're referring to paint matches. I was talking about defects in the refinish work. IE dust, fish eyes, runs etc.

In that case, yes i do agree. The silvers, greys, and pearl whites are touch to match. But you have some room to wiggle with defects, as apposed to darker colors.