C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

How do you "tune" these beasts??

Old 01-30-2015, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C63 AMG 507
How do you "tune" these beasts??

Hey all,

Newbie question here. I searched but couldn't find an answer. So how do you tune the C63? I am used to tuning a vehicle by loading a tune from a computer onto a DiabloSport Predator, and then taking the Predator and hooking it up to your OBD2 port. Then you download the tune to your car. Something tells me with these cars, they are different.

So what happens when you get a Eurocharged V5 tune, or whatever tune you want?!?! I ask because I want to get headers for my 507, and then update the stock tune to account for the variables, and maybe shut off a sensor or two...lol.

Thanks!
Wes
Old 01-30-2015, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Sedan
Same exact thing. Just use a "MyGenius" handheld.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:42 PM

2014 C63 AMG 507
Originally Posted by SaphGreyC63
Same exact thing. Just use a "MyGenius" handheld.
Cool, is that the best one out there? We only had an option or two anyway with the SRT MOPAR lineup.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 ATS-V
I would say yes, but I'm biased! There are many others out there, but I believe EC is one of the only few that is done via handheld. Tunes by RennTech, Brabus, etc... all require you to send them your ECU, so your car is down for days or weeks depending on turnaround time.
Old 01-30-2015, 11:00 PM

2014 C63 AMG 507
Originally Posted by johnny--2k
I would say yes, but I'm biased! There are many others out there, but I believe EC is one of the only few that is done via handheld. Tunes by RennTech, Brabus, etc... all require you to send them your ECU, so your car is down for days or weeks depending on turnaround time.
Yikes! Good to know. For the handheld, Is the MyGenius the best handheld out there? I'm not sure if there are eve other options.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Just so you know, you'll be able to turn of the CELs (Eurocharged will do this) for being catless, however, you will not pass inspection. The monitors will not set to "ready" therefore you'll fail.

So yeah, just because the CEL isn't there doesn't mean you'll pass.

As for the tune, there are a few options. Either pull the ECU and send it to Weistec or just get the handheld from EC and they'll go back and forth with a few emails with you, and done.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:42 AM

2014 C63 AMG 507
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
Just so you know, you'll be able to turn of the CELs (Eurocharged will do this) for being catless, however, you will not pass inspection. The monitors will not set to "ready" therefore you'll fail.

So yeah, just because the CEL isn't there doesn't mean you'll pass.

As for the tune, there are a few options. Either pull the ECU and send it to Weistec or just get the handheld from EC and they'll go back and forth with a few emails with you, and done.
Yup, that's what I am afraid of. I was going to go with the MBH headers and mid pipes from them, but I am not sure if that would trip a CEL. I need all sensors ready to pass emissions here in northern Virginia. I would still have the secondary cats, but don't know if that is enough. Also I don't know about the positioning of the O2 sensors with this setup. Thanks for the notice though! Much appreciated
Old 01-31-2015, 02:20 AM

2011 C63 AMG P31
Ugh, MyGenius are such dated things...
Old 01-31-2015, 03:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean's Sister--
Shoes are wheels...you changed her socks basically. Lol
Old 01-31-2015, 06:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Originally Posted by ToXicXxX
Ugh, MyGenius are such dated things...
Totally agree, the whole user experience experience feels cheap and crude.

What other alternative is out there?
Old 01-31-2015, 07:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
Totally agree, the whole user experience experience feels cheap and crude.

What other alternative is out there?
Not sure that there is one. Eurocharged at least sells the mygenius and the tune together and I'm pretty sure they won't just sell the tune. That being said, do a thread search and you'll see a number of us who've used mygenius have posted instructions as it's "normal" to get error messages, and you have to repeat steps, etc., which from a user-experience point of view SUCKS but it ended up just fine in the end with the tune installed properly. So you may be stuck with my-notso-genius if you go with EC. I do like my EC tune, however, and I think most have been very happy with it.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:34 AM

2014 C63 AMG 507
Originally Posted by jcfay
Not sure that there is one. Eurocharged at least sells the mygenius and the tune together and I'm pretty sure they won't just sell the tune. That being said, do a thread search and you'll see a number of us who've used mygenius have posted instructions as it's "normal" to get error messages, and you have to repeat steps, etc., which from a user-experience point of view SUCKS but it ended up just fine in the end with the tune installed properly. So you may be stuck with my-notso-genius if you go with EC. I do like my EC tune, however, and I think most have been very happy with it.
Good to know! Too bad MyGenius seems to be the only handheld out there
Old 01-31-2015, 09:56 AM

2014 C63 AMG 507
I'll have to look that one up. Thanks!

Last edited by amdeutsch; 02-01-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:43 AM

2014 C63 AMG 507
Ah yeah, that's hot! I'll have to pick that one up

Last edited by amdeutsch; 02-01-2015 at 10:28 AM.
Old 01-31-2015, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by WESLEY KAY
Yup, that's what I am afraid of. I was going to go with the MBH headers and mid pipes from them, but I am not sure if that would trip a CEL. I need all sensors ready to pass emissions here in northern Virginia. I would still have the secondary cats, but don't know if that is enough. Also I don't know about the positioning of the O2 sensors with this setup. Thanks for the notice though! Much appreciated
Yeah, you'll need headers w/ cats to pass emissions. The secondary cats are meaningless and there to keep certain folk happy. You'll be able to remove those with no consequence what-so-ever. You could even take them out right now, no tune, and you'd get no warnings.

Personally, I am going to avoid headers all together and just remove my secondary cats and resonator. Little more bark, and no headaches. It'll give a little more pep but its minimal.

The sensors are pre and post the primary cats. You can have headers with 200 cell cats moved down the system (so nearly where the secondary cats are now) and relocated your o2 sensors down there with them. That should get you by. Just make sure you don't have the CEL turned off because even though you would pass emissions, having that off wouldn't allow monitors to set.

Btw - I'm in NY so I have literally the same types of standards that you do. I'm not in a sniffer state or a state without inspection.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 396 Likes on 275 Posts
'13 C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by jcfay
^^ agreed. Even with the errors and all, it takes literally less than 5 minutes once you get the tune emailed back. Was a very easy process / install.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:02 PM

2014 C63 AMG 507
Yeah, you'll need headers w/ cats to pass emissions. The secondary cats are meaningless and there to keep certain folk happy. You'll be able to remove those with no consequence what-so-ever. You could even take them out right now, no tune, and you'd get no warnings.

Personally, I am going to avoid headers all together and just remove my secondary cats and resonator. Little more bark, and no headaches. It'll give a little more pep but its minimal.

The sensors are pre and post the primary cats. You can have headers with 200 cell cats moved down the system (so nearly where the secondary cats are now) and relocated your o2 sensors down there with them. That should get you by. Just make sure you don't have the CEL turned off because even though you would pass emissions, having that off wouldn't allow monitors to set.

Btw - I'm in NY so I have literally the same types of standards that you do. I'm not in a sniffer state or a state without inspection.
Hmm.....interesting. Thanks for the info! I'll look more into this. At least I got the tune part figured out.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:03 PM

2014 C63 AMG 507

I see MBH offers their mid pipes with a high flow cat option. I wonder if you will pass emissions if you get that option for the mid pipes. Then you can be 100% bolt on still. Not sure if they come with O2 sensor ports still....
Old 01-31-2015, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
^ Yes, I believe that is the point and why MBH offers that. Contact them, they'll know best about what would be required for that system. You'll just be bringing down the o2 sensors to those cats.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:17 PM

2014 C63 AMG 507
^ Yes, I believe that is the point and why MBH offers that. Contact them, they'll know best about what would be required for that system. You'll just be bringing down the o2 sensors to those cats.
Totally agree! Thanks for the help man!
Old 01-31-2015, 09:21 PM
SPONSOR

Location: Houston/ Austin /Toronto / UAE / Minneapolis / Orlando /Cincinnati
Received 148 Likes on 108 Posts
Eurocharged Performance ML63 and TT lambo
Originally Posted by WESLEY KAY
Hey all,

Newbie question here. I searched but couldn't find an answer. So how do you tune the C63? I am used to tuning a vehicle by loading a tune from a computer onto a DiabloSport Predator, and then taking the Predator and hooking it up to your OBD2 port. Then you download the tune to your car. Something tells me with these cars, they are different.

So what happens when you get a Eurocharged V5 tune, or whatever tune you want?!?! I ask because I want to get headers for my 507, and then update the stock tune to account for the variables, and maybe shut off a sensor or two...lol.

Thanks!
Wes
we can easily help you out with tuning your new beast!

Ya, the mygenius isn't great, but once its setup its easy to use. We can also send you files to update the tune if you change mods (headers etc)

We have the tune and handheld on sale for $699 right now!
Old 02-01-2015, 11:48 AM

2014 C63 AMG 507
Originally Posted by loungn14
we can easily help you out with tuning your new beast!

Ya, the mygenius isn't great, but once its setup its easy to use. We can also send you files to update the tune if you change mods (headers etc)

We have the tune and handheld on sale for $699 right now!
Thanks! I'll be in touch!
Old 02-02-2015, 12:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 C63 1998 ML430
Just installed MBH longtubes with 200cell cats. Cats come with 02 bunges but rear 02 sensors come up short. I ordered 2 02 connectors and 2 rear O2 sensors to build a adaptor harness. Otherwise the header and exhaust fit is perfect. i had the same concern of OBDII readiness and after being specific with tuner, they stated it can be done to keep monitors ready. I Just sent ECU out and once I get it back I will see what happens with readiness monitors.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:04 AM

2014 C63 AMG 507
Originally Posted by AwdthisC63
Just installed MBH longtubes with 200cell cats. Cats come with 02 bunges but rear 02 sensors come up short. I ordered 2 02 connectors and 2 rear O2 sensors to build a adaptor harness. Otherwise the header and exhaust fit is perfect. i had the same concern of OBDII readiness and after being specific with tuner, they stated it can be done to keep monitors ready. I Just sent ECU out and once I get it back I will see what happens with readiness monitors.
Great to know! Do you have a link for the parts on the O2 extensions? I don't even know where to start on that. How short were you for the rears?
Old 02-02-2015, 12:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 C63 1998 ML430
Parts may come in today or Tuesday. Ill get you mb part # tomorrow for adaptor build. Maybe MBH has something already but I didn't contact them. Visual 3-5 inch difference. I also tried to relocate harness but still no luck. Front 02 sensors are longer and appear to have the length but connector end is not correct. Easy enough for me to just build a small adaptor harness plug and play and should be good to go.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How do you "tune" these beasts??