C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Air brake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 01:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63
Air brake

Where the diffuser is should be an air brake that deploys when you hot the brakes or operates as an air foil at elevated speed. Of course that would have required some wind tunnel testing or would it?
I wonder if Mercedes or AMG did any thing along that line and perhaps just shelved it or if anyone else has done it.
Let's face it at 200 mph, capable of most, tuned C63's, you want control and more and more braking.
And on that note are there any fessing up to C63s that have explored over 200mph?
Old 01-31-2015, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 407 Likes on 289 Posts
'10 C63
Air brake down there? I am pretty sure something that deploys down under the car would most likely cause lift and instability under braking. Totally not what you want. Thats the main reason manufacturers have them on the top of the decklids. And the added weight and complexity just isnt worth it on a street car. Even the 911 doesn't move its rear wing for braking. The stock brakes are pretty beefy as is and generate plenty of stopping power. As far as 200, there are a few cars on here that have explored up there. Dads had a vbox verified 2 way 200 mph run. And someone with a blower on the autobahn had an indicated 200. There are at least a few youtube videos on people hitting 190+ indicated.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:59 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63
I mis spoke. I meant the deck lid where the little spoiler is. I have no idea what could be done, whethere one on top or one in the same place that slide up though a slot there.
Undoubtedly a new deck lid and spoiler perhaps.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 286 Likes on 184 Posts
10 C six trizzle
it would look cool but be almost totally useless. In order to create effective downforce on a sedan in our shape the wing has to be very tall - nearly the height of the roof. Look at subaru sti and evo wings and they dont do a whole lot of downforce. sti is like 100lbs at 80mph. Now the with the shape of a liftback - like the slr/sls etc... air brakes can me made much more efficient. So unless this airbrake is longer than the trunk deck lid it wont accomplish much and would look stupid at that point.