C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

C63 Engine Getting Noisy

Old 02-03-2015, 04:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG
C63 Engine Getting Noisy

Noticed over the past month my wife's C63 has begun to have a slight tick. Noticeable in drive thru's at fast food restaurants or in garages/carparks etc.

It's a faint tick coming from the driver's side (right hand side) under the car/behind the front driver's side wheel (right side as the car is an australian car)

It's a slight, faint, airey tick..
It's more noticeable after driving the car hard for a while.

Could it be just good old wear on the engine and lifters? Or is it something to worry about.

Engine has been quiet up until recently.
It's not the injector tick (i know that sound, injector tick can only be heard once the bonnet/hood is raised) but this tick can be heard when the bonnet/hood is down and the car is driving etc.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:50 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
a car
What year is your car and how many miles?

A lot of it is just normal engine noise, nothing to be terribly concerned about.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
The cam adjusters can click and the lifters.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63 AMG P31
Take your foot off the gas
Old 02-03-2015, 11:31 PM

2008 Corvette Z06
Sounds like you have an exhaust leak either at the manifold or mid pipe. When your exhaust gets hot, the metals expand widening the leak/gap. Thats probably why its getting louder.

Put it on a lift and get under it. Feel around the manifold and exhaust area where you think its coming from.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Originally Posted by Merc63
The cam adjusters can click and the lifters.
I would bet for that as well.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
I had an occasional loud tapping sound on start up. Had the left bank tappets replaced. The noise was intermittent, and it's only been a week since the repair, but so far so good.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 761 Likes on 527 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Valve train wear woud be my first guess (bucket tappets / lifters). Known to happen on these engines.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:59 AM

AMG
Car has approx 70 000km's
My C63 was quiet as hell and that was supercharged making 460+kw @ wheels.

Had the car taken to an exhaust shop a few weeks ago and they said they couldn't find a leak.
I'm thinking of using thicker oil at mercedes next service.

I just want to know if it's something we should be worried about or if it's just due to wear and age.

The car has been getting driven pretty hard recently because i've been driving it as my other car is getting some work done. So i have been pushing it pretty hard, redline etc.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by RawBenz
Car has approx 70 000km's
My C63 was quiet as hell and that was supercharged making 460+kw @ wheels.

Had the car taken to an exhaust shop a few weeks ago and they said they couldn't find a leak.
I'm thinking of using thicker oil at mercedes next service.

I just want to know if it's something we should be worried about or if it's just due to wear and age.

The car has been getting driven pretty hard recently because i've been driving it as my other car is getting some work done. So i have been pushing it pretty hard, redline etc.
Let's see:

"Car has approx 70 000km's "
"was supercharged making 460+kw @ wheels" (~620 whp or 730+ crank hp)
"So i have been pushing it pretty hard, redline etc."

WTF do you think the noise is from!? A trapped hummingbird in your airbox? Like - you supercharged a high-compression n/a engine, pushed it at 150% of rated output which is way beyond its design limits, trashed it for 70,000 km and are now wondering if perhaps the noise you are hearing is in any way related to engine wear? Are you really that dumb or is this just your idea of a (bad) joke?

Frankly, I am happy to hear that it has lasted this long, plus - at least as far as we know - it could only be valve train wear. That is a testament to just good the M156 motor is. For comparison, aftermerket supercharged 4.2L Audi V8 motors (producing about 125% of rated power) have a tendency to destroy both the heads and the engine block in about 35,000 km (I know of at least 5 including the two that I owned myself which were not even pushed hard on more than a handful of occasions). Consider yourself lucky.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Diabolis
Let's see:

WTF do you think the noise is from!? A trapped hummingbird in your airbox? Like - you supercharged a high-compression n/a engine, pushed it at 150% of rated output which is way beyond its design limits, trashed it for 70,000 km and are now wondering if perhaps the noise you are hearing is in any way related to engine wear? Are you really that dumb or is this just your idea of a (bad) joke?

Frankly, I am happy to hear that it has lasted this long, plus - at least as far as we know - it could only be valve train wear. That is a testament to just good the M156 motor is. For comparison, aftermerket supercharged 4.2L Audi V8 motors (producing about 125% of rated power) have a tendency to destroy both the heads and the engine block in about 35,000 km (I know of at least 5 including the two that I owned myself which were not even pushed hard on more than a handful of occasions). Consider yourself lucky.
I'm so happy I sold my C63 and left this place a couple years ago. Its comments like this that remind me how pathetic some folks on this forum really are. Posts like this are a completely useless waste of everyone's time.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:18 PM

2009 C63 AMG
Noticed over the past month my wife's C63 has begun to have a slight tick. Noticeable in drive thru's at fast food restaurants or in garages/carparks etc.
My C63[/COLOR] was quiet as hell and that was supercharged making 460+kw @ wheels.

Sounds like HIS C63 was supercharged not THE WIFE'S C63.
Might have jumped the gun on the insults.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Mine has a tick from the driver side wheel well too, I think it's the lifters since I did the cam adjusters already. The lifters are noisy on these cars, must be the 7200rpm redline giving them a beating.
Old 02-05-2015, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wankeldude
I'm so happy I sold my C63 and left this place a couple years ago. Its comments like this that remind me how pathetic some folks on this forum really are. Posts like this are a completely useless waste of everyone's time.
I beg to differ - it's the repetitive and in this case retarded questions that are a waste of everyone's time. I guess I am also very happy that you sold your C63 and left this place.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The lifters on these engines are known to be problematic even without overly stressing the motor. Now, as Merc63 (who also has a s/c 750 hp DD) noted in his post, he has already done his adjusters, has ARP studs in the block, etc., so it should come as no surprise to someone who has gone through the trouble of installing a supercharger that there is increased wear and tear on the engine; furthermore, if you are going to start modding an engine, at the very least you should have a *BASIC* understanding of what it is you're doing and what can potentially go wrong or wear out as a result. It's the "there's a some kind of ticking noise coming out of my s/c motor and I have absolutely no f___ing clue what it could be... do you think I should worry about it?" questions that are IMHO a complete waste of everyone's time on the forum.

</rant>
Old 02-05-2015, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Originally Posted by Merc63
Mine has a tick from the driver side wheel well too, I think it's the lifters since I did the cam adjusters already. The lifters are noisy on these cars, must be the 7200rpm redline giving them a beating.
Just out of curiosity, do you know how much cam adjuster replacement runs? I've had 3 replaced so far, but under warranty.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:15 PM

AMG
Let's see:

LOL I'm kind of embarrassed for you.
Maybe go back and read the original post properly lol.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by m a x i m u s
Just out of curiosity, do you know how much cam adjuster replacement runs? I've had 3 replaced so far, but under warranty.

Two m156 engines both needed cam adjusters around 60,000km. Both under warranty.

The first m156 no blower, owned since new and drove hard had lifter noise and after a hot restart the lifters chatter pretty loudly till they pumped up. Tried to warranty this but had headers on the car and got laughed at.

I'd say high rpm is worse for the lifters than putting a blower on. With the blower, you don't have to ring it's neck to make power.

Last edited by Merc63; 02-05-2015 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

LOL I'm kind of embarrassed for you.
Maybe go back and read the original post properly lol.
You know what, bud - this is what gets me every time. By your own admission and actions - i.e. you're a member of a MB car site, you have at least one supercharged car which didn't come supercharged from the factory so you had to know somethign about it - you are a CAR ENTUSIAST, not just the average Joe that doesn't know the difference between engine oil and brake fluid. SO - when a car entusiast with a modded C63 shows the level of ignorance that you have, you are wasting everyone's time by being a jerk that can't be bothered to do a simple search on "C63 ticking noise" on the very same site where you posted this comment. It's you that should be embarrased.

Had you instead put a shred of effort into it, done about 15 minutes of reading some very relevant posts on this site and instead asked "hey guys - I have a ticking noise that doesn't sound like and exhaust leak or the fuel inectors - any idea whether it's lifters/buckets of can it be somethign else", the response you would have received from me would have been very different indeeed. This way I can't help but think that you're just the laziest SOB on the planet because if you were just an average Joe that only drives the car, you wouldn't have a supercharged C63 or a clue about what sounds are normal and what aren't and if the service light came on the dash you woud have just taken it to the dealership.

So - if you want to talk valvetrain wear I'd be happy to buy you a beer and chat about it, but please don't waste my time by asking "car ownership 101" questions when you're clearly not in that category and are just too f___ing lazy to move a finger and do a little tiny bit of homework yourself first. You can try and spin it whichever way you wan't, but at the end of the day you're either a jerk or too stupid to own a C63.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK - so I re-read your original post and then the second one you made further down, and as MH3 pointed out you may in fact be referring to TWO C63s, one of which is the n/a one and making the noise and the second is the s/c one that isn't.

Now, if that is the case, I did answer your first post - that it is most likely valvetrain wear (I'll leave it up to you to decide whether "it's just good old wear on the engine and lifters or something to worry about).

Then you write another post where you mention a s/c car that may or may not be the one you were talking about in the first one, which you've been beating on - but is completley irrelevant to the issue you have with what may be the first n/a car. So - again, we'll leave it up to you to decide whether "it's just good old wear on the engine and lifters or something to worry about". Personally, I would also worry about the tappets & lifters (which you don't appear to be concerned with), but if this is the case, then what is the point of your second post and bringing in the s/c car if that's not the one you're talkign about? Please enlighten me how you're not wasting everyone's time seeing as you are obviously aware of but not worried about the valvetrain wear, which is most likely the issue and was already answered for you by six people before you asked exactly the same question again?
Old 02-08-2015, 07:04 PM

AMG
I mentioned the SC C63 which is now sold as to compare between the two.
The comparison was that i owned a SC C63 and it wasn't as loud as my wife's engine. Even pushing 600+hp etc.
Old 02-11-2015, 02:00 PM

OK - so I re-read your original post and then the second one you made further down, and as MH3 pointed out you may in fact be referring to TWO C63s, one of which is the n/a one and making the noise and the second is the s/c one that isn't.

Now, if that is the case, I did answer your first post - that it is most likely valvetrain wear (I'll leave it up to you to decide whether "it's just good old wear on the engine and lifters or something to worry about).

Then you write another post where you mention a s/c car that may or may not be the one you were talking about in the first one, which you've been beating on - but is completley irrelevant to the issue you have with what may be the first n/a car. So - again, we'll leave it up to you to decide whether "it's just good old wear on the engine and lifters or something to worry about". Personally, I would also worry about the tappets & lifters (which you don't appear to be concerned with), but if this is the case, then what is the point of your second post and bringing in the s/c car if that's not the one you're talkign about? Please enlighten me how you're not wasting everyone's time seeing as you are obviously aware of but not worried about the valvetrain wear, which is most likely the issue and was already answered for you by six people before you asked exactly the same question again?
slow down pinky...you're hittin them corners too damn fast
Old 02-11-2015, 02:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by wankeldude
slow down pinky...you're hittin them corners too damn fast

No... I just don't have any understanding for people asking the same question in the same thread that they started which had already been answered in the six previous replies, and apparently to which they themselves already knew the answer as was the case here. That's all.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:51 AM

AMG
Diabolis, **** off you gronk.
If you don't like it get out of the thread you flop.

You're clearly a stupid gronk who can't distinguish between the fact that i stated there were two cars clearly.
LOLLLL

Run along little boy. Go get laid or something you zeb.
Btw, i must thank you for the entertainment tho. We're trying to determine if you're a 15 year old kid or a 40 year old virgin going through a mid life crisis, who owns a c63 on finance, trying to pay it month to month.

Last edited by RawBenz; 02-12-2015 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-12-2015, 01:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wow - those are really big words coming from someone that has done so much good for the benefit of the community. Please accept my apologies as I am obviously not worthy of your time, Your Highness.

OK - so you stated there are two cars. Now, we answered your question even before you brougt in the second one, so unless you can actually come up with something intelligent as to why you brought up the second one (or for that matter the first one - seeing as you already knew the answer), you're still a moron. Please forgive me for not stooping down to your level. Can't help but think you're projecting your own inadequacies with the name calling and all.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63 Engine Getting Noisy