C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Does Tune only performance gets eventually adapted out?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W204 C63 Bone Stock; E36 M3 Supercharged 400WHP; X5 parts eater
Does Tune only performance gets eventually adapted out?

I used to have a tune on my M3 and the power increase was noticeable. After a while I could no longer tell if I had a tune. Right before I supercharged it, I put back the original tune and it didnt notice any real difference change. It seems that the ECU has modified its adaptation to cancel out the benefits of the tune. I wonder if its the same for the C63? I assume not completely because the throttle opening changes should remain.
Old 02-18-2015, 01:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 408 Likes on 290 Posts
'10 C63
If you mean adapted out, do you mean still putting 420 hp to the wheels a year after I got it? No. It won't get adapted out. Throttle response and shift patterns will change with driving style though. Long trips will yield lazier shifts and slower throttle response (in general).
Old 02-18-2015, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
The only thing that will adapt out is your butt dyno. The car will never have enough power
Old 02-18-2015, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by I am Jeff
The only thing that will adapt out is your butt dyno. The car will never have enough power
This.

My 700whp porsche even started to feel slow after a while. Still demolished whatever I came across.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by chrisridebike8
If you mean adapted out, do you mean still putting 420 hp to the wheels a year after I got it? No. It won't get adapted out. Throttle response and shift patterns will change with driving style though. Long trips will yield lazier shifts and slower throttle response (in general).
I've always been curious about this latter part - the "adaptation" that occurs within the TCU (IIRC) which adapts to someone's driving style. I recall reading how to reset this. But are significant changes to shift timing and throttle response really made? I tend to do a variety of driving, so just wondering. Anyone have any more info?
Old 02-19-2015, 08:37 AM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
2012 C63 AMG, 1991 325iS. Ex: 2011 C63 P31
Originally Posted by jcfay
I've always been curious about this latter part - the "adaptation" that occurs within the TCU (IIRC) which adapts to someone's driving style. I recall reading how to reset this. But are significant changes to shift timing and throttle response really made? I tend to do a variety of driving, so just wondering. Anyone have any more info?
When I first did the reset, it made a huge difference! Probably because it hadn't been reset in almost 4 years.
Now the reset doesn't make such a big difference.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by jcfay
When the car isn't reset for a while you'll start to notice. Mine, for example, started to have some pretty hard downshifts from 4-3. Unfortunately I tucked it away for the winter before the reset, but when I take it out again I plan on doing a full warm up, seeing how it drives, and then if it is still there I'll reset it and let you know.

If the hard shift goes away I'll be sure to report back.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
When the car isn't reset for a while you'll start to notice. Mine, for example, started to have some pretty hard downshifts from 4-3. Unfortunately I tucked it away for the winter before the reset, but when I take it out again I plan on doing a full warm up, seeing how it drives, and then if it is still there I'll reset it and let you know.

If the hard shift goes away I'll be sure to report back.
Go to your service advisor and have him reset the adaptation. Your car has learned something that's why it has that hard shift. You have tune yet?
Old 02-19-2015, 09:02 PM

2007 civic Si 2004 Acura TL 2013 MB C350
my lil bro has a 2008 ISF and he has intake header and exhaust and had a tune, but come to find out LEXUS ECM's retune itself back to stock after a few days.... but in the mean time It was good while it lasted!!!
Old 02-19-2015, 09:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W204 C63 Bone Stock; E36 M3 Supercharged 400WHP; X5 parts eater
Originally Posted by mrbrannin1
my lil bro has a 2008 ISF and he has intake header and exhaust and had a tune, but come to find out LEXUS ECM's retune itself back to stock after a few days.... but in the mean time It was good while it lasted!!!
Exactly what happened in my M3... when it was just a tune. I thought it was my butt dyno getting used to it. When i put the stock tune back I could not see a loss in performance. Did this not happened when I supercharged the car. I guess that was too much for the car to adapt out.

Maybe the C63 tune which comes with physically opening the throttle more and the fact the Perf Pkg cars comes with higher HP will allow the tune to stay...
Old 02-20-2015, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
Sometimes I think it does, but take the tune out and you'll notice. Drive it for a week to get used to that. Put it back in and you'll notice and fall in love with it all over again.

Exactly the same reason why our wives should let us sleep with other women one week a year. Just one week. Its all we need.
Old 02-20-2015, 07:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2018 AMG E63s
Originally Posted by 604 C63
Sometimes I think it does, but take the tune out and you'll notice. Drive it for a week to get used to that. Put it back in and you'll notice and fall in love with it all over again.

Exactly the same reason why our wives should let us sleep with other women one week a year. Just one week. Its all we need.
On the wife front, totally reasonable proposal. I guess in France it's acceptable but not here...

I'd like to learn more about what parameters an ECU tune generally alters. The same for TCU adaptation. I'm just not sure where to find this info - any ideas? I've been enjoying my Eurocharged tune without other alterations for a number of months now, and my really well honed butt dyno (another factor never to forget, I'm pretty damn skeptical of butt dyno perception abilities...) doesn't perceive any changes back. Anyone know of any resources out there with info about ECU/TCU tunes and alterations?
Old 02-20-2015, 07:49 AM

Received 111 Likes on 82 Posts
2009 C63 P30, 2008 Grand Cherokee SRT8(RIP)
Originally Posted by 604 C63

YOU, my friend, are a scholar amongst men!!!!!!!!
Old 02-20-2015, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford Truck, 2014 C63 AMG 507
Should not need to go to the dealer to reset the TCU.
Here's a thread that describes how with keyed and keyless ignitions.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...tcu-reset.html

I'll be trying this out when mine comes out in the spring.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:35 AM

2007 civic Si 2004 Acura TL 2013 MB C350
Originally Posted by Gerry_M
Exactly what happened in my M3... when it was just a tune. I thought it was my butt dyno getting used to it. When i put the stock tune back I could not see a loss in performance. Did this not happened when I supercharged the car. I guess that was too much for the car to adapt out.

Maybe the C63 tune which comes with physically opening the throttle more and the fact the Perf Pkg cars comes with higher HP will allow the tune to stay...
yes I agree..... but I think when you tune the C63 the tune is there to stay but your butt dyno goes back to stock if that's ure daily driver..... maybe it will help if you drive a hybrid as a daily and the C63 for weekend fun!!
I can't wait to get mine... but it's gonna be at the end of the year b/c im trying to get my house first!!!!
Old 02-20-2015, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by Petakii63
Go to your service advisor and have him reset the adaptation. Your car has learned something that's why it has that hard shift. You have tune yet?
No tune. I know how to do the reset, I'm just not driving the car right now so there's no point. Waiting for this damn weather to move out and spring to come in.