C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Service Due

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG, Jeep SRT8
Service Due

Hey guys, I recently just bought a certified pre-owned 2010 MB C63 AMG from the dealership, and I noticed it says service is overdue by 15 days. So i called a dealership in town and the service due (service A5) is about $429, which does a visual inspection along with a oil and filter change. Or I could go an alternative route and pay $220 for just an oil change (which is all they essentially do in service A5 plus a tire rotation if they deem necessary). Do you guys feel like the visual inspection is worth it for an extra $200 or should i just go with the oil change? Also, would it be possible for me to reset the service light on my own?

Thanks.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Wow $220 the oil change. Kind of expensive where you are. My dealer used to charge me $180 on my previous sedan. As for visual inspection you can do it yourself if you are mechanically inclined and have access to a lift to make things easy. You could even do your oil change as well .
If not it all depends how long ago the last inspection was done. how many miles on the car? Was a service done when you bought the car?
Old 03-09-2015, 11:54 AM

Yeah i know, Alberta, Canada . And it's got about 70k kms on it and the last service was the major tranny flush service (service B) done just over 1 year ago. When i bought the vehicle about a week ago, the dealer provided me a pre-purchase mechanical inspection (it's mandatory here, regulated by AMVIC). New to MB so I'm not sure how strict you guys are with services and such so that's why I'm curious about this. My other vehicles (Jeep SRT8, H2, G35xS), i would never consider twice about these two alternatives and go with strictly the oil change, BUT since it is a C63, and a performance vehicle, I want to make sure I am taking the correct steps to sustain its longevity.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hummm as far as I know

Service B includes:

Inspect wiper inserts and service washer system
Inspect and rotate tires
Lube, Oil and Filter service
Lube service
Cooling system inspection
Brake inspection
Replace dust filter
Function check
Inspect and lubricate throttle linkage
Check and clean air filter
Inspect axle ball joints; check power steering and rear differentials
Inspect starting and charging system and service battery
Inspect climate control refrigerant
Reset service system counter

Transmission flush is always a separate services. Usually at 35kmls first then you could do it every 30-35kmls. So at least that was done. As well if they really did service B your visual inspection was done too.
How many miles have you done since ownership? I wouldn't even sweat an oil change if less than 5k. Assuming the service B was done just before selling you the car.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Services are the biggest rip off at the dealer. $165/hr to check your wiper blades come on.

I have a guy in Edmonton who can do you service. Just buy the oil and filter and keep the receipt in your booklet. He's a tech who does it on the side.

At the most, just do the oil change and tell them to **** off for the rest.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:51 PM

The service B was done 1 year ago along with a transmission flush. I have driven the car maybe 600 kms since I have bought it, which was about 5 days ago. When i bought the vehicle from the dealer, the car was already asking for service A5 (overdue by 10 days). I mentioned this to the dealer and they said they are willing to pay for half of it ($200 deduction). I didn't really mind because the dealer said these require only one service a year, unless stated by the vehicle. Along with this, the dealer provided me with their own pre purchase inspection and it came out fine. But now i found out that this "service" is actually only a oil change with a visual inspection. This is marked up as a service and are trying to charge me $429. I think I am going to go ahead with just an oil change and get this over with since it's now 15 days overdue.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I would do an oil change as well.
By the way if you want to reset your indicator see this pdf.
Attached Files
Old 03-09-2015, 01:05 PM

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by jason7
Hey guys, I recently just bought a certified pre-owned 2010 MB C63 AMG from the dealership, and I noticed it says service is overdue by 15 days. So i called a dealership in town and the service due (service A5) is about $429, which does a visual inspection along with a oil and filter change. Or I could go an alternative route and pay $220 for just an oil change (which is all they essentially do in service A5 plus a tire rotation if they deem necessary). Do you guys feel like the visual inspection is worth it for an extra $200 or should i just go with the oil change? Also, would it be possible for me to reset the service light on my own?

Thanks.

You purchased a CPO from MB dealership they should have done the scheduled maintenance. If they did not reset indicator they most likely did not perform the service. They should comp the service for free.

That being said, these maintenance schedules are a rip off. Just perform fluid changes per booklet and forget the minor services to inspect this or that. Congrats on your new ride.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:09 PM

Yeah, I'm going to go ahead with just an oil change. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by AMG6.3
You purchased a CPO from MB dealership they should have done the scheduled maintenance. If they did not reset indicator they most likely did not perform the service. They should comp the service for free.
END OF STORY. Car is 2 weeks old. Complete BS for a CPO to be sold needing service. I'd talk to the SALES manager who sold the car (paperwork in hand) pointing out that I bought it 10 days ago and now it's 15 days past due?!? Question how it was sold as "Certified" if it needed service. If they don't budge on performing the service, explain politely that you'd like to resolve this without going to corporate, but you're willing. Often dealers or corporate throw in a year or two pre-paid service as promotions so anything is possible.

Last edited by rediesel; 03-09-2015 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by rediesel
END OF STORY. Car is 2 weeks old. Complete BS for a CPO to be sold needing service. I'd talk to the SALES manager who sold the car (paperwork in hand) pointing out that I bought it 10 days ago and now it's 15 days past due?!? Question how it was sold as "Certified" if it needed service. If they don't budge on performing the service, explain politely that you'd like to resolve this without going to corporate, but you're willing. Often dealers or corporate throw in a year or two pre-paid service as promotions so anything is possible.
Only issue i see is that i bought it from a Lexus dealership. I also bought the vehicle from a three hour drive from where I live and I feel like this is an issue that would be best resolved in person. They also gave me $200 off our agreed price when i made the salesman aware of this issue.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:01 PM

I booked it for just an oil change guys. Service tech told me that they won't be resetting the service light. I will be using the guide abcut posted to clear the service light.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
2006 E320 CDI 2014 C63 507 Coupe 2012 E550 4M 2016 E63s Wagon
Originally Posted by jason7
Only issue i see is that i bought it from a Lexus dealership. I also bought the vehicle from a three hour drive from where I live and I feel like this is an issue that would be best resolved in person. They also gave me $200 off our agreed price when i made the salesman aware of this issue.
Well then you and the selling dealership are all square - no recourse there. I thought you bought a CPO from a Benz dealer, but you bought one with a CPO warranty in place. There might be a pre-paid maintenance plan on the car in place, but I'd give that a 15% chance. (Although my CPO came with 2 years maintenance)

I'd take this car to a Benz dealer for a couple reasons. You didn't buy it from one, and it could use a real inspection from one (mechanical and computer). Second, they will tell you what warranties are left on the car (make sure it jives with what you were sold). Third, it will establish a relationship with the service dept that will repair your warranty issues in the future.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:57 PM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
2012 C63 P31 sedan
This thread makes a lot more sense now that you mentioned you bought a used c63 from a Lexus dealer and the car happens to have a CPO warranty on it.

The service thing on the car is just a reminder and I believe it is based off of time, but will go off sooner if you put a lot of mileage on the car. The car itself is fine though so the whole "overdue" oil change thing is overblown. I'd agree with just get an oil change although you should be able to find a coupon or have an indy do it for $99. You can reset the light yourself in less than five minutes.
Old 03-09-2015, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by realjones88
This thread makes a lot more sense now that you mentioned you bought a used c63 from a Lexus dealer and the car happens to have a CPO warranty on it.

The service thing on the car is just a reminder and I believe it is based off of time, but will go off sooner if you put a lot of mileage on the car. The car itself is fine though so the whole "overdue" oil change thing is overblown. I'd agree with just get an oil change although you should be able to find a coupon or have an indy do it for $99. You can reset the light yourself in less than five minutes.
Yeah! The dealer also mentioned it had been sitting on the lot for a few months, so even though according to the time interval it is time for a service, the kms are very low (service B was done 1 year ago at 60k kms, now 1 year later it has only 69k). I phoned around town and the rate seemed consistent around $160-$190. I'd rather go through a MB dealer for $20-$30.
Old 03-09-2015, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
This and that.
I have a good independent reputable shop in Edmonton if you want to know, where in AB are you at?
Old 03-09-2015, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by papashango
I have a good independent reputable shop in Edmonton if you want to know, where in AB are you at?
Edmonton
Old 03-09-2015, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
This and that.
Check out http://worldclassauto.net

That's the go to place for an independent shops. Their quotes are way better than the dealers. I have my Service B coming up shortly and will be taking it to them. I have taken my car to Silverzinc and Eurasia but apparently World Class is better and have ex-MB tech's that own the place.

Also, join this group if you're on Facebook. You can post your questions and stuff all MB owners and very helpful.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/147097125457631/
Old 03-10-2015, 10:34 AM

Thanks for insight everyone