C63 vs SRT8

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
This and that.
C63 vs SRT8

So lately I've been thinking about getting into a Jeep SRT8 and getting rid of my C63AMG. I don't want to regret the decision and that is what's been holding me back. C63 is my daily driver and it's most certainly less than ideal in the winter (we get tons of snow) as it does slip and slide quite a bit. So that would be a clear advantage for the SRT8 being 4WD. It's equally as powerful as the C63 so I don't think I will quite miss the power either and still be able to have fun? The only remaining thing is that it's a Jeep and I've never owned a Jeep product before. Would I be making a mistake going to Jeep form Mercedes. Of course it'll be a lot more comfortable and make better sense for winter, but I don't want to feel like crap if I see an AMG on the road and I am in the SRT8. I know it's a subjective thing, but I am hoping for some opinions and ideas, especially for people that have/had both and made the switch one way or the other.

Thanks Gents!
Old 03-16-2015, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
I've almost made the same change myself. In fact, I think someone around here has a new SRT8.

Anyway, go drive an SRT8 if it is around you. It isn't as fast as a C63 if you line them up and hit it. However, your mind will say otherwise when you aren't next to a C63 because you have this idea you're in a big SUV and when you get off the line and haul *** the way that truck does you'll be just as gitty.

As for Jeep products. My step dad has the new Grand Cherokee with the hemi. Drove it today actually. Really really really nice. There are parts of that truck that are far better than the C63. For example, the heated steering wheel was speaking to me. He has had it for 16/17 months and put 42k miles, I say again, 42k miles on it and has only had to do oil changes every 5k miles and a set of tires.

Awesome vehicle. Head over to the SRT8 boards or google common issues. When I was looking nothing too serious was popping up. Just minor things that come with any car.

Oh yea, they also look mean as hell.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
Yea I definitely agree about the looks. Actually like them better than the new Range Rover Sport's that my dad recently got. They look mean as hell and yes I don't expect to race c63's or other AMG's in it either. Just something that will be practical year around and I get to have some fun at the same time. The only worry? Would I be downgrading as far as name of the brand is concerned? Losing a little exclusivity and getting some practicality? Think i might go test drive one tomorrow just to get a feel of it and maybe that'll seal the deal. Just don't want to regret not having an 'AMG' ...but SRT8 is the equivalent powerhouse as well. I am looking at 2014's I think.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
When I go car shopping I throw name brand out the window and go for quality and my personal preferences. You'll have brand loyal fan boys everywhere try to bash the hell out of you (I bet some pop up here) saying AMG TO JEEP?! ARE YOU NUTS?

Yeah, call me nuts all you want but when I sit in a nice interior that has amenities I don't care if it has MB or Jeep on the front of it.

Here is what I will say about that truck though... Your gas mileage may even get worse than it is now. It's a big ***** that likes to guzzle that stuff down my friend. So it is not very practical in that sense. However, the jeep is amazing in the snow (the awd system is actually mercedes or designed by mercedes I believe), you can throw all your critters in it as well as groceries for the whole town.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
Thanks for your input man. I think I am going to at least check it out tomorrow. There's one that meets all my criteria, funnily enough at the local BMW shop. Will see what sort of trade in they are able to offer and what not and try to test drive if possible.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Let us know what you think about it.
Old 03-16-2015, 04:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
When I go car shopping I throw name brand out the window and go for quality and my personal preferences. You'll have brand loyal fan boys everywhere try to bash the hell out of you (I bet some pop up here) saying AMG TO JEEP?! ARE YOU NUTS?

Yeah, call me nuts all you want but when I sit in a nice interior that has amenities I don't care if it has MB or Jeep on the front of it.

Here is what I will say about that truck though... Your gas mileage may even get worse than it is now. It's a big ***** that likes to guzzle that stuff down my friend. So it is not very practical in that sense. However, the jeep is amazing in the snow (the awd system is actually mercedes or designed by mercedes I believe), you can throw all your critters in it as well as groceries for the whole town.
It does make me chuckle when you guys mention your gas mileage. Try a stint in the UK. My C63 is my daily driver and I do around 300 miles a week and our gas is the equivalent of $11 a gallon
Old 03-16-2015, 05:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by -ian
It does make me chuckle when you guys mention your gas mileage. Try a stint in the UK. My C63 is my daily driver and I do around 300 miles a week and our gas is the equivalent of $11 a gallon
Yeah well maybe if you won the war you'd have cheaper gas prices

It is quite crazy the prices you pay there. Many use mpg's as a factor for buying a c63/cars in general. I didn't when buying both of mine. However, it is a worthy mention that the Jeep possibly gets worse mileage.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:04 AM

2012 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
Yeah well maybe if you won the war you'd have cheaper gas prices

It is quite crazy the prices you pay there. Many use mpg's as a factor for buying a c63/cars in general. I didn't when buying both of mine. However, it is a worthy mention that the Jeep possibly gets worse mileage.
That was a bit below the belt. Kinda glad we lost the American Revolutionary War.

I'd rather live in my little chocolate box house in a country that had less death by gun crime in a year than the U.S does on an average day.

Anyhoooo I am curious what octane fuel you guys put in your cars. The manual says 98 ron which is freely available here in the UK but when I spent a couple of months in Wichita last year all I saw were gas stations using ethanol to boost the octane levels and surely that can't be good for the engine.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30
if you're looking suv (which makes sense in a northern climate) you have a lot of choices.
i'd look at the ML63 and the BMW offerings as well, or even a porsche cayman and macan

those jeep srt's are really nice, huge brakes for an suv. I'm always slightly hesitant with jeep because i've known people with some issues the past few years. I had a devout jeep guy tell may that anything newer than 08 is pretty much junk....YET he keeps buying them hah.
Old 03-16-2015, 08:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
don't do it. i got rid of an SRT8 jeep to get back into a C63. the new jeeps are awful yeah they are nice but with the nice came weight and with the weight came SLOW. I had an original one model year 2008 it was an animal. the new ones are anything but. It was probably the worst mistake I ever made. i even modded it thinking that would help. wrong. please spend a long time on the test drive and just get the thought out of your system.
Old 03-16-2015, 09:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'11 C63 P31, '06 Infiniti G35 Sedan (sold), '03 Nissan 350Z (R.I.P.), '15 Toyota Hylander
I know it's "only" a 4-banger, but if I was looking for AWD I'd be looking at this:

I'd bet dollars to donuts that a GLA45 is way more fun to drive than a Jeep SRT8.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:30 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG 507 Edition
We own a 2008 SRT8 Jeep that my wife and little guy use for their daily driver. Off the line it is extremely fast but of course it turns into a brick at higher speeds. Anyway, it works great in the winter and we have 80,000+ km's on it and never an issue.

I've driven the new models at an SRT experience at laguna seca and it was a lot of fun. I also drove the GLA45 in Pahrump at an AMG event and there really is no comparison, the jeep would definitely be my choice.
Also, the newer models have a much nicer interior. They bumped up the hp but the weight also went up so not much of a performance improvement. Either way, it's a great vehicle for a daily driver.

Last edited by Baked; 03-16-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 03-16-2015, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by 350Zed
I know it's "only" a 4-banger, but if I was looking for AWD I'd be looking at this:

I'd bet dollars to donuts that a GLA45 is way more fun to drive than a Jeep SRT8.
Ewww no! I drove this car at the AMG event and it was horrible! I was looking forward to this car and very excited to drive it. One I did I was so heartbroken and disappointed! The throttle response was not good -worse than the CLA I drove right after, and the handling wasnt that good either. You can see where they saved costs in the interior of the car as well. Overall I would NOT buy a GLA.
Old 03-16-2015, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
Originally Posted by papashango
So lately I've been thinking about getting into a Jeep SRT8 and getting rid of my C63AMG. I don't want to regret the decision and that is what's been holding me back. C63 is my daily driver and it's most certainly less than ideal in the winter (we get tons of snow) as it does slip and slide quite a bit. So that would be a clear advantage for the SRT8 being 4WD. It's equally as powerful as the C63 so I don't think I will quite miss the power either and still be able to have fun? The only remaining thing is that it's a Jeep and I've never owned a Jeep product before. Would I be making a mistake going to Jeep form Mercedes. Of course it'll be a lot more comfortable and make better sense for winter, but I don't want to feel like crap if I see an AMG on the road and I am in the SRT8. I know it's a subjective thing, but I am hoping for some opinions and ideas, especially for people that have/had both and made the switch one way or the other.

Thanks Gents!
OP I am in a very similar situation as you! I am looking at all the SUV/Pickup truck options because like you driving an AMG in the winter just isnt practical.

As for the Jeep SRT8 -A friend has one and it is an absolute beast! I love the power and the interior is a nice place to be! Hard not to want one plus you can get a lot more power with bolt ons and a tune.

Something to consider is an engine swapped Wrangler! 700hp :o ... Complete sleeper!

http://inventory.starwoodmotors.com/...exas/14736728/
Old 03-16-2015, 11:12 AM

2011 C63 P31
I've been eyeing one of these for quite a while. In fact, it was between the c63 and the Jeep before I got my c63. I opted for the c63 on performance as I also have a 4wd truck for the snow ( and have been driving forever it seems due to this winter). Third choice was an RS5, but watching my tall friends get in and out of the back seat, I went for the compromise of a 4dr c63 that I can use with friends but also hit the corners hard on my own. I'm also younger so I knew eventually Id have to get a bigger car and could go to the srt later, and even get the 2014 used with the better tranny and let someone else get the depreciation hit on the new car.

My dad dissuaded from the jeep because, like him and all his buddies said, "at the end of the day its an effin Jeep" and not even on the same playing field as a merc. I convinced him otherwise at the auto show when he sat in one and realized that for the SUV market, it is a great car with nice interior compared to its competitors and has great bang for the buck.

I plan to replace my 4wd truck in a year or so (it have 160,000 miles but still kickin and does what it needs to do without me caring much about it) and the plan right now is to still move to a 2014 srt as its replacement.

If a Hellcat Jeep comes out though, all bets are off on what I do and I will reassess a similar decision you face.

Now can these potholes be filled so I can finally take the beast out! i'm itching like an addict!
Old 03-16-2015, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
i only owned my new one for about a year it was the worst car buying decision in my life.
The following users liked this post:
E55Jess (03-11-2017)
Old 03-16-2015, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 Dodge Viper GTC, 2014 C63 AMG (gone), 2014 GL450
The Jeep Grand Cherokee is the last holdover from the Daimler-Chrysler days, so it's basically a Jeep version of the ML. So you can think of it as going from MB to sort of MB, If that makes you feel any better about it.

"At first glance, the all-new, mid-size 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee appears more evolutionary than revolutionary. But, as most if its design was finished before Chrysler’s divorce from Daimler, the new Jeep GC shares it’s basic chassis with the latest Mercedes-Benz ML." http://www.motorweek.org/reviews/roa...grand_cherokee
Old 03-16-2015, 12:18 PM

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
C63
Hum I drive my c63 as a daily driver in the Northeast we had record snow this year over 10 feet of snow in 3 months.

Does your car have snow tires as my car performs very well in winter where I live.

AMG > Jeep

I would consider Audi SQ4 before the Jeep.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:25 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
FWIW, the Jeep will be much happier with a blower/making big HP. If you plan on tuning the car(s), there's a ton of options for the Mopar that the trans will be happy with.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
pistons are the weak point in that 6.4 hemi.

Also the jeep has some crazy torque management system that seems to take superchaged jeeps and makes them just a slow as regular ones. tuning isn't there yet or even close.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This and that.
Sounds like the guys here are also as confused/conflicted as I am. I guess a lot will depend on the test drive and if that convinces me the only hurdle is to get over 'it's an effin' Jeep' and comparing it to a Merc. There's no doubt that it's a lot more practical for me year round. I had snow tires Bridgestone Blizzak's and I do a lot of highway driving. In the city I was fine for the most part but I had to avoid lots of trips back home because of the weather. At faster speeds anything 80-90km+ the C63 would fishtail.

As for mods, I wouldn't do anything substantial but smaller stuff.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
There is member that did the switch last year. Maybe he can chime in.
I say get them both

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ep-srt8-2.html
Old 03-16-2015, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by -ian
That was a bit below the belt. Kinda glad we lost the American Revolutionary War.

I'd rather live in my little chocolate box house in a country that had less death by gun crime in a year than the U.S does on an average day.

Anyhoooo I am curious what octane fuel you guys put in your cars. The manual says 98 ron which is freely available here in the UK but when I spent a couple of months in Wichita last year all I saw were gas stations using ethanol to boost the octane levels and surely that can't be good for the engine.
Haha, ah, I wasn't trying to be mean. After all, it was hundreds of years ago...

We have 93 oct which converts to 98 ron. Most places do have ethanol but I've never had a gas related issue in any of my cars because of it.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 401 Likes on 279 Posts
W463 G550 / C190 GTC //prev: W204 C63 507 / R170
The Jeep and C63 are not really comparable. Sure, they both have V8s, but the similarity ends there. The C63 is a full on sports car that happens to wear a C class body.

As far as driving your C63 in the winter - I'm guessing you don't have an LSD or proper winters? I live in Canada and have the 507, so tons of snow, and power. It's not a problem driving in winter. AWD is overrated - unless you're driving in deep snow or going offroad, it just consumes more money and weight and gives people a false sense of security.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C63 vs SRT8