C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Pre-Purchase Inspection

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 12:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 AMG C63
Pre-Purchase Inspection

I'm looking at purchasing a 2011 C63 from a non-Mercedes dealer. Obviously I want to get an inspection done before turning over that kind of cash. I've talked to a couple of Mercedes dealerships about doing an inspection for me, and I've got two options. Option #1 ($180) - basic one hour inspection. Option #2 ($450) - three hour "CPO" inspection. The dealer selling the $450 inspection is trying to justify the cost by saying it's the same inspection that the dealership does in order to certify used Mercedes vehicles that it sells. I haven't been able to get much specifics out of either dealer regarding the difference between the two inspections other than the cost and the time (1 hour vs. 3 hours). Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts (or experience) regarding whether it is worth it to spend more money for the longer inspection. Seems like a waste of money, but wouldn't want to get burned down the road just to save a couple hundred dollars. Thanks.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
C63 AMG P30 *EuroCharged*| Porsche Cayenne | Buell XB9SX
Like you say, the CPO inspection isn't that much more in the grand scheme of things. I would go that route IF they provide some sort of written report, and if they are a respected MB dealership.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:31 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Speedriven
3 hours seems excessively high, even if that is what they charge on the CPO. Where are you located?
Old 03-17-2015, 01:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 AMG C63
I'm in Michigan...but the car and dealers are in Chicago. Three hours does seem excessive to me. I'm thinking that any major problems should be discovered in a basic one hour inspection.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:06 PM

Received 35 Likes on 29 Posts
2012 C63 P31 sedan
We're talking about a three year old car here so I think you are more than fine with the one hour inspection. You really just want to know if it has been in accident, major repairs, etc.

I would ask the dealer to get the vehicle report from a Mercedes dealer that may have some maintenance records or whatever. You can also ask a Mercedes dealer yourself, but really getting the records from Mercedes should be no issue if this is a dealership and not some one man operation.
Old 03-17-2015, 04:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 c63 P31
Definitely don't do the 3 hour one and definitley get a written inspection report. I used to work in service at a dealership, those extra 2 hours will involve a tech surfing the web and scratching his rear.

The most "honest" inspection is usually free and provided whenever you get your car serviced. Dealerships have their techs comb through the car for repairs (not always necessary) so that the SA can sell you the work. But a pre-purchase inspection should highlight major issues and you could possibly sue the dealer if they didn't discover something major that surfaces.

Originally Posted by jschulz79
I'm looking at purchasing a 2011 C63 from a non-Mercedes dealer. Obviously I want to get an inspection done before turning over that kind of cash. I've talked to a couple of Mercedes dealerships about doing an inspection for me, and I've got two options. Option #1 ($180) - basic one hour inspection. Option #2 ($450) - three hour "CPO" inspection. The dealer selling the $450 inspection is trying to justify the cost by saying it's the same inspection that the dealership does in order to certify used Mercedes vehicles that it sells. I haven't been able to get much specifics out of either dealer regarding the difference between the two inspections other than the cost and the time (1 hour vs. 3 hours). Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts (or experience) regarding whether it is worth it to spend more money for the longer inspection. Seems like a waste of money, but wouldn't want to get burned down the road just to save a couple hundred dollars. Thanks.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
That's ridiculous. These dealers are nuts and it's crazy how they find ways to separate people from their money by doing so little.

I'd check the car fax
Check the engine serial number to make sure it's after the head bolt change
Throw $50 to a local mechanic to give it a once over
Check the warranty
Work out a price

Screw the dealers! They all suck