C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Rock chips on windshield..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 01:47 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
C63 AMG
Rock chips on windshield..

How do you guys deal with the small rock chips on your windshield? I just encountered a pretty good sized rock today on the highway, it made a really loud pop on impact, however when I got home to check out the damage, the chip was minimal at least. I did inspect my windshield and it looks like I got several of the small rock chips all over the windshield. As long as the chips arent turning into cracks, it doesnt worry me as much but it does affect visibility a little. Just seeing if there is a way to get someone, a professional, to somewhat fix the chips or if you guys just leave it alone. Any advice would be great, thanks
Old 03-26-2015, 02:43 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Audi A5 6MT, C63 AMG
I would say contact your insurance and get it fixed if you have glass coverage. if its small enough (smaller than a dollar bill) they fix it for free. plus, the crack can increase over a period of time.
Old 03-26-2015, 04:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 c class coupe 220cdi
If its not bothering you and its tiny there are self repair kits no experiance using it m8 had a go says he was not overly impressed, the problem with insurance and chip repairs is they sort of chip it more to fill it if it has star effect lines coming off it they can when repairing it smash the screen requiring full replacment which is what happened to me on the old car wish id just lived with it.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
Originally Posted by AMGPower88
it doesnt worry me as much but it does affect visibility a little.
It would worry me a LOT, well enough to have it replaced. Plus, you stated you have several rock chips on the windshield, it will definitely affect visibility especially at night.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:10 AM

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts
2014 VW Touareg, 2012 C63
If it's a chip, just leave it alone. Or you can contact Safelite and have them vacuum epoxy fill the chip. It won't be 100% perfect, but it'll be close. If it's a crack, contact your insurance and get it replaced. If not, it will just creep over time and grow into a bigger crack.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Safelite repair, safelite replace.

They'll fix it, great service, and you don't really have to do any paperwork either. You're insurance probably has free glass but just call them to verify and you're all set.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 763 Likes on 529 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by 561design
If it's a chip, just leave it alone. Or you can contact Safelite and have them vacuum epoxy fill the chip. It won't be 100% perfect, but it'll be close. If it's a crack, contact your insurance and get it replaced. If not, it will just creep over time and grow into a bigger crack.
^ This. If it's just a small ROUND chip, leave it alone. If you see even the smallest of cracks spreading out from it, get it filled by a professional ASAP. If it goes beyond an inch or so, get it repalced.

A cracked windshield does not just impair visibility - it also provides about 45% of the structural strength for the cabin department in case of a frontal impact and up to 60% in case of a rollover, so a crack would significantly diminish the car's ability to protect you if you're in an accident.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 C63 P30
Originally Posted by Diabolis
^ This. If it's just a small ROUND chip, leave it alone. If you see even the smallest of cracks spreading out from it, get it filled by a professional ASAP. If it goes beyond an inch or so, get it repalced.

A cracked windshield does not just impair visibility - it also provides about 45% of the structural strength for the cabin department in case of a frontal impact and up to 60% in case of a rollover, so a crack would significantly diminish the car's ability to protect you if you're in an accident.
Yup, because getting a big crack repaired means a full windshield replacement.
My insurance had free chip repair and $50 glass replacement .....the catch is they won't pay for oem glass so I had to jump through tons of hoops to get it done at a mb shop and get oem glass with rain sensor programming
Old 03-26-2015, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
Check with your insurance first before claiming anything. You might have 40 or more deductible for glass repair. If the full replacement costs less than your deductible then no bother claiming it through the insurance. Plus you'll get a extra item in your CLUE report!
Old 03-26-2015, 08:16 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by abcut973
Check with your insurance first before claiming anything. You might have 40 or more deductible for glass repair. If the full replacement costs less than your deductible then no bother claiming it through the insurance. Plus you'll get a extra item in your CLUE report!
Yea I didnt make a claim and probably wont make a claim with my insurance. I found a shop that could vacuum epoxy the chips, add some type of special glue they use to fill in the minor rock chips.. The way I see it, sooner or later, the windshield is most likely going to incur more rock chips so until that happens or god forbid I get a crack, I'll probably just tough it out at the moment. The shop told me a full oem replacement windshield would be somewhere around $400.. So thats less than my deductible, therefore no point in claiming it through insurance.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 P30
Originally Posted by AMGPower88
Yea I didnt make a claim and probably wont make a claim with my insurance. I found a shop that could vacuum epoxy the chips, add some type of special glue they use to fill in the minor rock chips.. The way I see it, sooner or later, the windshield is most likely going to incur more rock chips so until that happens or god forbid I get a crack, I'll probably just tough it out at the moment. The shop told me a full oem replacement windshield would be somewhere around $400.. So thats less than my deductible, therefore no point in claiming it through insurance.
Oem equivalent or an actual mb oem windshield? 400 was around some of the quotes I got for an oem equivalent but no guarantee on the rain sensors working.

Check with insurance at least, mine didn't go against deductible or go against my rating to raise premiums
Old 03-26-2015, 08:37 PM

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by rentzington
Oem equivalent or an actual mb oem windshield? 400 was around some of the quotes I got for an oem equivalent but no guarantee on the rain sensors working.

Check with insurance at least, mine didn't go against deductible or go against my rating to raise premiums
Im going to check again with insurance but yea I think it would be an oem equivalent, I think for an MB oem windshield, it will most def be alot more
Old 03-27-2015, 12:16 AM

2014 C63 AMG Edition 507
Does any insurance cover OEM glass?

Hate finding out that if I chose to replace the whole thing it would not be OEM - what a scam these insurance companies are

Its such a hassle that it would likely take a few days to do, and who knows if the dealer even does it properly....I think you will be missing that MB signature as well if its not OE

Sorry to hear about your chip OP
Old 03-27-2015, 11:41 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
'18 Audi A4
Originally Posted by yazz
Does any insurance cover OEM glass?

Hate finding out that if I chose to replace the whole thing it would not be OEM - what a scam these insurance companies are

Its such a hassle that it would likely take a few days to do, and who knows if the dealer even does it properly....I think you will be missing that MB signature as well if its not OE

Sorry to hear about your chip OP

Depending on your insurance company, mine covers OEM replacement parts for the first two years of the car from production if bought brand new. A 1 year old used car still gets the OEM parts until the second year then it switches to aftermarket parts. Recently I let a crack grow beyond the reparable point and now have to replace the glass. Since my deductible is a little high, I am covering out of pocket. The OEM glass goes for $430 at the dealer. I found it online (same part number as MB) for 323 plus $35 shipping. I contacted the dealer and they dropped the price to $360 which is basically the windshield and shipping included. I thought that was fair and had the dealer order it. Waiting on it to arrive to get it done.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
depends on your insurance coverage. in mass glass is free i'd make it worse and get a new windshield. I hate the repairs you can usually always see them. I try to get a new windshield every spring.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 P30
Originally Posted by Conv_GSDriver
Depending on your insurance company, mine covers OEM replacement parts for the first two years of the car from production if bought brand new. A 1 year old used car still gets the OEM parts until the second year then it switches to aftermarket parts. Recently I let a crack grow beyond the reparable point and now have to replace the glass. Since my deductible is a little high, I am covering out of pocket. The OEM glass goes for $430 at the dealer. I found it online (same part number as MB) for 323 plus $35 shipping. I contacted the dealer and they dropped the price to $360 which is basically the windshield and shipping included. I thought that was fair and had the dealer order it. Waiting on it to arrive to get it done.
yeah, i got lucky on mine the dealer told me how to work it to get reimbursed from insurance and my insurance solicited bids for oem equivalent in my area and then cut me a check for nearly $800 and i was then out of pocket $150. Took 2days to install since everything's got to cure.

Safelite said about 400 but no guarantee on the rain sensors working
Old 03-27-2015, 12:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 C63 coupe P31
Just get it fixed ! Small rock chips (less than a coin) are very cheap to fix and this should ensure they don't crack in the future.

I had one, didn't get it fixed, turned into a crack. Sure, insurance replaced it but it cost me a claim...
Old 03-27-2015, 06:44 PM

2010 P31 Obsidian; 1990 ZX11
Originally Posted by Conv_GSDriver

What was the OEM part number and the online source you found for the $323 price?
Old 03-29-2015, 12:06 AM

2008 C63, 2008 ML550, 2014 KTM 500 XC W, John Deere 990
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
Safelite repair, safelite replace.

They'll fix it, great service, and you don't really have to do any paperwork either. You're insurance probably has free glass but just call them to verify and you're all set.
I have had Safelite fill 4 rock chips in mine. Still no spread after two years on the oldest one. Mine is due for a replacement though due to sand pitting.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
06 C55, 09 E350
just get a quote from a dealer to fix it have insurance write you a check then ask the parts/service dept for a discount and you should be good. I hear state farm does not use after-market parts, but I don't know if that includes glass. You should be allowed by law to have anyone fix your car being the dealer and the dealer is also on contract where they are not allowed to use after-market parts.
Old 03-29-2015, 11:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C63 P30
Originally Posted by JonMBZ
just get a quote from a dealer to fix it have insurance write you a check then ask the parts/service dept for a discount and you should be good. I hear state farm does not use after-market parts, but I don't know if that includes glass. You should be allowed by law to have anyone fix your car being the dealer and the dealer is also on contract where they are not allowed to use after-market parts.
Just fyi state farm has an underwriter for glass repairs (cant remember the name but that company ) that will only pay for oem equivalent but you can go anywhere, they will solicit bids then cut a check for the lowest bid.

long story short they didnt work with my MB body shop because the shop wouldnt use non oem glass. but every insurance is different. While aftermarket glass may be fine i'm more comfortable personally spending a little more to get the oem part.
Old 03-31-2015, 06:59 PM

'18 Audi A4
Originally Posted by EC C63
What was the OEM part number and the online source you found for the $323 price?
I went on parts.com put my vehicle info and narrowed it down to windshield. It showed me the part number which then I verified that with the dealer and they confirmed that. Then I talked price and you know the rest from my previous post.
Old 04-01-2015, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63
I have State Farm and doesnt cover rock chips on the windshield, got mines done yesterday for 50 bucks
Old 04-14-2015, 08:53 PM

Honda
Easy way to fix it ...

The first step is contact your insurance company and get it fixed if you have glass coverage. if its small enough (smaller than a dollar coin) they fix it for free. plus, the crack can increase over a period of time. or other wise please contact us we will fix your glass at your place.. http://www.windshieldrepair.ca/ or call us (416) 640-1116 ..
Old 04-20-2015, 09:19 PM

'18 Audi A4
Signature for OEM glass

Just to update in case this is not known to everyone. I had the MB dealership purchase the replacement glass and installed by them. When I went to pick up my car, I noticed the signature was not on the lower right side of the windshield but did notice on the bottom left it did have the etching containing the MB logo and other stuff like my previous one. So I asked about it and the rep said, oh sorry the glass installer forgot to add that, so he went back to the parts area and got me the signature sticker. It actually has a part number A 004 584 73 38.

Just in case it wasn't known, I didn't. I assumed it would come from the parts place like that. So in case you are missing one, you can go get one

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Rock chips on windshield..