C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

C63 PP Resonator or Secondary Cats delete?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13' C63 AMG P31
C63 PP Resonator or Secondary Cats delete?

Hi all, I recently bought a 2013 C63 AMG with the performance package. I have been driving it for a couple months now, and I love the sound, but I want to make it louder!

I have searched and read in the threads about deleting the resonator and sec cats or both. There seems to be a mixed crowd for each mod respectively

What do you think I should do? I am currently leaning towards deleting the resonator, but a lot of people are saying that replacing it with the straight pipe leads to uneven air passage which is a bad thing? What other cons might there be? I heard that the resonator is there simply to reduce exhaust noise.

The other option is x-pipe with secondary cat delete. I do not want any issues with emissions or losing power, or droning.

What do you guys think is the best for the C63? I want to keep the sound, but raise hell when I step on the throttle. People with experience in these mods please feel free share your experience and advice. Thank you in advance!!
Old 04-02-2015, 05:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 ATS-V
Secondary cat delete, straight pipe or X pipe (straight will be cheaper) and no emissions or droning. Mine has been done for quite a while now, and I love it more and more every time I drive it and fiddle with testing when to get the best pops and bangs, and scaring pedestrians.
Old 04-07-2015, 11:08 PM

13' C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by johnny--2k
Secondary cat delete, straight pipe or X pipe (straight will be cheaper) and no emissions or droning. Mine has been done for quite a while now, and I love it more and more every time I drive it and fiddle with testing when to get the best pops and bangs, and scaring pedestrians.
I am leaning towards, resonator delete (replace with straight pipe) and secondary cat delete replaced with x-pipe. With both these done, you think I'll get any drone or any issues with emissions? Also, does it make a big difference in sound? Any performance gains? I love the sound our cars make already, I just want louder. Thanks!
Old 04-07-2015, 11:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by dvoAMG
I am leaning towards, resonator delete (replace with straight pipe) and secondary cat delete replaced with x-pipe. With both these done, you think I'll get any drone or any issues with emissions? Also, does it make a big difference in sound? Any performance gains? I love the sound our cars make already, I just want louder. Thanks!
No emissions issues. No CELs. Very noticeable difference in sound... very...

Performance gains are minimal, but there will be some.

No droning either.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
i did a 2nd cat delete w/ xpipe but i didn't like the sound personally. ended up with straight pipes at the resonator.

the xpipe was OK it was definitely louder but didn't have the same rumble. resonator delete sounds a lot like stock at lower rpm but it really wakes up.

as for both at the same time, i haven't tried it.
Old 04-08-2015, 03:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C63 Coupe
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but my understanding is that whatever you delete, you have to keep as least one section that crosses. So, since the secondary cats are separate, if you delete those, replace with straight pipe. Since the resonator crosses exhaust paths, replace with x pipe.

Personally, i'm leaning towards secondary cat delete for more flow, and keeping resonator to keep the signature amg exhaust note.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:29 PM

c43 w205
i want to do 2nd cat delete with straight pipe, and i got a quote from local shop, over 300 bucks, they said they had to remove the entire exhaust, cut and weld,then put it back. Eurocharged's x pipe only costs 500. which one should i go? thx
Old 04-08-2015, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Originally Posted by deanmc
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but my understanding is that whatever you delete, you have to keep as least one section that crosses. So, since the secondary cats are separate, if you delete those, replace with straight pipe. Since the resonator crosses exhaust paths, replace with x pipe.

Personally, i'm leaning towards secondary cat delete for more flow, and keeping resonator to keep the signature amg exhaust note.
I deleted my secondary cats, replaced that section with an x-pipe, and then kept my resonators. The resonators don't interrupt the flow, and I like that the sound is still close to stock until I go WOT.

C63 PP Resonator or Secondary Cats delete?-img_0574.jpeg
Old 04-08-2015, 08:21 PM

13' C63 AMG P31
Originally Posted by BLKROKT
I deleted my secondary cats, replaced that section with an x-pipe, and then kept my resonators. The resonators don't interrupt the flow, and I like that the sound is still close to stock until I go WOT.

Thanks for the advice, and the picture really gives me a better vision of the mod!
Old 04-08-2015, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
None for now

Any sound clips?
Old 04-29-2015, 06:06 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
C63S, 2004 S4, 2001 S4 Avant
I am planning on removing the secondary cats with an X-pipe (MBH) or H-pipe (Mike's), While keeping the resonators.

I have found that the resonators often attenuate the raspiness and drone of the exhaust (on other cars), but cannot speak for the C63 specifically.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
This and that.
Removed my resonator first and got a straight pipe and kept the secondary cats. Liked the sound, lot of pops and crackles but it was a little high pitches for my taste and didn't sound like authentic deep rumble the AMG has. Then I took out the secondary cats and put a straight pipe there too and the car was LOUD. It was absolutely ridiculous the pops and crackles were SO pronounced that even in comfort mode when slowing down you'd hear INTENSE pops and crackles. Absolutely loved that part with that. The big bad issue was at low RPM's there was this sharp, high pitched rasp that I hate and it lasted to about 3500 RPM and eventually went away and just sounded amazing. Loved the pops but couldn't deal with the initial and then again didn't sound like the original AMG rumble.

Finally put the resonator back in and left the secondary cats cut out replaced with straight pipe. Sounds completely stock if driving normally and deep and loud keep the original AMG rumble when gunned. Issue though there are very little pops and crackles and I hate that. Makes me miss all the way straight piped way too much. Anyway though keeping this as it seems to maintain the original AMG bark the best and that's what I was going for. Getting it tuned shortly so hopefully that will liven the pops and crackles a little more.

Hope this helped.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
E55K, Black on Black. C63, Black on Black. SRT-10 NightRunner 363of400
Just delete the secondaries and straight pipe them. Leave the resonator in place. If you want more sound then that go with long tubes.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A V8
take out secondary cats and leave the car be. it sounds stock when crusing. but when you nail it, the v8 makes itself known.

there is a long thread on here somewhere, actually started by papashango. lots of helpful info in there.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:34 AM

c43 w205
I was thinking to replace sec cat with straight pipe and replace res with H pipe. more aggressive than keep the stock res?
Old 04-30-2015, 07:15 PM

13' C63 AMG P31
Does anyone here have Mikegpr03's power pipe (straight)? That is one long *** thread he started and there seems to be a lot of people with positive experiences from his products. If so, is it a superior product compared to a local shop that can make the same pipe? I'm going to replace sec cats with interchangeable straight pipes, but wanted to know if it was worth spending a little extra, or going somewhere local to do the whole mod. Thanks fellas
Old 04-30-2015, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A V8
just take out sec. cats and put straight pipes. ^ DONE
Old 04-30-2015, 11:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 C63 Coupe
Originally Posted by Spazdoc
I am planning on removing the secondary cats with an X-pipe (MBH) or H-pipe (Mike's), While keeping the resonators.

I have found that the resonators often attenuate the raspiness and drone of the exhaust (on other cars), but cannot speak for the C63 specifically.
Just curious, why? I don't get why you would need the exhaust stream to cross twice.

Is there a reason some are x or h piping their 2nd cats AND keeping resonator?
Old 04-30-2015, 11:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A V8
https://instagram.com/p/0syNa0kb3A/?taken-by=gexhaust
Old 05-01-2015, 08:29 PM

2013 AMG C63 Coupe 507

^^^ THIS

Not much power to be gained if you keep the factory manifolds, but a huge increase in noise if you delete the mid muffler.

THe above headers and 4 cat delete is the way to go - more power and more noise at throttle, but normal driving quietly past a cop. It's the way to go
Old 05-02-2015, 11:59 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
C63S, 2004 S4, 2001 S4 Avant
Originally Posted by deanmc
Just curious, why? I don't get why you would need the exhaust stream to cross twice.

Is there a reason some are x or h piping their 2nd cats AND keeping resonator?
You know, I had a total brain fart. I was thinking that the exhaust crosses at the secondaries for some reason and resonators are straight. Duh. So you are right. I am likely to replace secondaries with straight pipe and keep resonator as is. AFAIK, the resonators are responsible to reducing the annoying high pitched sound.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:57 PM

c63 '10
Hello Everyone,

I removed my secondary cats, xpiped it there and also removed my resonator. Sounds like a beast even at low rpm it grumbles. Cant be more happier~
Old 05-12-2015, 01:12 PM

dreams
I did the resonator delete because I wanted more sound without having to void the warranty on emissions components. it sounded great on startup and the low end was definitely a lot 'angrier', but i wasn't enjoying the mad snapping trumpet at the top end. however, there is no drone and it's LOUD (like echoing off the trees loud) - perfect if that's what you're after!

mad snapping trumpet at (0:25), lol. you might love it though!

Last edited by dcho; 05-12-2015 at 01:23 PM.