C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

help!! left plastic grill (front bumper) + ambient temp sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CTT-S
help!! left plastic grill (front bumper) + ambient temp sensor

noticed today that the left plastic grill on the front bumper is not snug (loose) so i tried to move it, pull it, etc and it still couldn't seem to 'lock'.. i drilled a small hole so i could get something to pull it with unfortunately i knocked off the ambient temp sensor too.. any way i could get this locked and set the sensor without removing the front bumper?
Attached Thumbnails help!! left plastic grill (front bumper) + ambient temp sensor-image-2113335549.jpg  
Old 04-09-2015, 07:51 PM

06 CTT-S
another pic
Attached Thumbnails help!! left plastic grill (front bumper) + ambient temp sensor-image-768293922.jpg  
Old 04-09-2015, 10:35 PM

06 CTT-S
so far... all searches results to remove :-(
Old 04-09-2015, 10:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 375 Likes on 335 Posts
2014 E63 AMGs, 2015 F-150 Lariat, 2010 Porsche C4S
Originally Posted by Paculdo
noticed today that the left plastic grill on the front bumper is not snug (loose) so i tried to move it, pull it, etc and it still couldn't seem to 'lock'.. i drilled a small hole so i could get something to pull it with unfortunately i knocked off the ambient temp sensor too.. any way i could get this locked and set the sensor without removing the front bumper?

If you need to remove the bumper here are the step-by-steps when I did mine to repair a crack at the bottom center. Once you get past step 6, you will have access to the sensor area:

Yes, you must remove the entire bumper to get to the mesh pieces as they are snapped in very well from the back side.

I don't have photos, but I did download the instructions from StarTEK and they were useless LOL. This due to them being B/W and of poor size and resolution.

Process:

1. Remove both front wheels
2. Remove both front fender inner liners (Clips and 10mm hex flange nuts)
3. Both shields underneath car (numerous 8mm hex screws)
4. Remove the snap clip on each side that hold the fender liner to the bumper at very bottom near wheel well opening
5. Disconnect both side markers (twist entire socket 90 deg. and pull out)
6. Disconnect both fog lights (the cable harness to these also has a zip tie holding them against the fog bracket)
7. Disconnect the ambient air sensor that's in the left mesh grill (I found it easier to pull out the sensor with wire attached instead of disconnecting wire from sensor. It just snaps in/out)
8. Remove two 10mm screws that hold bumper at lower mount points
9. Remove the 2 10mm screws on each side that attach the bumper to each fender.
10. Remove the 2 10mm screws that hold bumper on up top. (These are hidden behind flexible rubber splash?? protectors.
12. Pull bumper straight away from front of car and downward as it comes free.

The hardest part was getting the inner fender liners out. Be careful with the 2-piece snaps and you can reuse.

Enjoy!
Old 04-09-2015, 11:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
You don't need to remove the front wheels. Just turn the wheels to give you access, take out the three snaps on each side along the wheelwell arch that holds the liners in place, then you can reach in and remove the two 10mm screws that hold the bumper in place with a 1/4" ratchet and 10mm long socket.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
'12 C63 Black Series, '12 ML350 BlueTech
^ correct no need to remove the wheels but it is more convenient.
OP i still don't understand how did you manage to get the sensor out
Anyways I don't think you'll be able to put everything back in place without removing the bumper cover. GL
Old 04-10-2015, 07:37 PM

06 CTT-S
Originally Posted by abcut973
^ correct no need to remove the wheels but it is more convenient.
OP i still don't understand how did you manage to get the sensor out
Anyways I don't think you'll be able to put everything back in place without removing the bumper cover. GL
that plastic grill was loose so i was trying to pull it (out) and hoped it locks in place (?) through that hole and I knocked the sensor out bad idea

*what i saw too was that this plastic cover/grill was taped (rather than snapped/locked, i might have to glue this so this don't happen again)

anyways, thanks for all the input! I'll get a friend to help me out on this one.