C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Suggestions on full exhaust for a DD?

Old 05-04-2015, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
Suggestions on full exhaust for a DD?

Hi all, new guy here. I'm in the market for a new vehicle and after test driving a C63, S4, E92 M3 and CTS-V I've come to the realization that the C63 is the car for me. Dat sound!

So now of course I'm obsessed and watching videos/reading articles all day. I really like the idea of gaining substantial WHP with a full exhaust and I love the way they sound at WOT. My question is for the guys that are catless and have systems like Agency Power or IPE. How is it with the valves closed during normal driving? Is it that much louder than stock? I want the power but I couldn't handle having the drone or noise on longer drives. I really want to do
but I dont think I could handle the noise every day. Any thought are appreciated. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2,810 Likes on 1,664 Posts
2012 P31 C63 Coupe Trackrat, 2019 GLE63S Coupe Beast
Why not get the car first, drive it for awhile, and then come back with questions.

Do some research here, there are a million threads on the subject.

These are not like your average car where you slap on a cat-back and gain tons of HP and sound. In fact, most people do NOT go with a cat-back, because it rids the car of the "AMG sound", and there are no HP increases to be had there. If you want HP and to keep the "AMG sound", most go with headers or secondary cat delete.

Again, do a search. This topic has been beat to death.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:42 AM

C63
Fair point, I'll keep searching. From what I've read a catback is good for 10-15 RWHP and thats enough for me to consider getting one. I've had my fair share of catless vehicles in the past and I've always enjoyed more sound and power so I'm fairly confident that I'll get an exhaust. The issue now is that I'm married, just bought a house in a quiet neighborhood and I have to take clients out. All three of those means that I need a quiet vehicle at times and a beast when I'm out enjoying the car. So that lead me to the question for those that have a catless or high flow catted car with a valved exhaust to see how it actually performed in day to day driving.
Old 05-04-2015, 11:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 ATS-V
10-15 HP is not enough for me to consider spending $3-6K on a cat back. Now, 40+ RWHP is worth it for headers, and the 100 or so BHP you get out of a tune is worth the ~ $1K for sure.

As said, buy the car, drive it, get a really good grasp, and go from there. I did a secondary cat delete and the car is PLENTY loud for me, no drone, stock sound at idle and cruise, but barks when you put your foot into it, even slightly.
Old 05-04-2015, 01:50 PM

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
C63
op I will never yield 15 rwhp with an aftermarket catback system
Old 05-04-2015, 07:23 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Range Rover Sport, 2012 C63 Coupe P31
I just got my full IPE system (exhaust and headers) installed. Driving around with the valves closed is pretty similar to stock sound (at least to me). It's very tame from inside the cabin. I was on the fence about the whole setup due to the price point but I'm very happy I went with IPE.
Old 05-04-2015, 08:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Headers are loud on cold starts and when you're getting on it. Otherwise, yes, they are a bit louder but not deafening at all times.

It's a 6.2L V8 that is loud as it is from factory. If you need a quiet car maybe this isn't the best one for you.

Good luck with your search and future purchase.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:06 PM

C63
Originally Posted by unruin
I just got my full IPE system (exhaust and headers) installed. Driving around with the valves closed is pretty similar to stock sound (at least to me). It's very tame from inside the cabin. I was on the fence about the whole setup due to the price point but I'm very happy I went with IPE.
Thanks for the input.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:56 AM

dreams
the eisenmann race exhaust drones but I love it. it is a cat-back system if you don't want to remove your cats. it retains and amplifies the signature AMG growl and pulsation without rasp, that IMO other res/cat delete combos do not achieve.

the IPE system is popular probably because it is cost effective but I find it too quiet with the valves closed and uninteresting (just loud) with the valves open.

Last edited by dcho; 05-05-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-05-2015, 05:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Range Rover Sport, 2012 C63 Coupe P31
Originally Posted by dcho
the eisenmann race exhaust drones but I love it. it is a cat-back system if you don't want to remove your cats. it retains and amplifies the signature AMG growl and pulsation without rasp, that IMO other res/cat delete combos do not achieve.

the IPE system is popular probably because it is cost effective but I find it too quiet with the valves closed and uninteresting (just loud) with the valves open.
I don't know if I agree with your statements. The first time I revved my car after the install (valves closed) I thought it was really loud and that they valves were open. It's still a C63 with headers and an exhaust so most won't consider it quiet by any means. Interestingly enough, the cabin does a great job at blocking the sound of the exhaust.

With the valves open, it's another beast. It's VERY loud. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a very picky individual but I absolutely love the sound. I wouldn't change a thing about it.

Here's a quick video I shot the day of the install. Sorry for the poor quality video.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:51 PM

dreams
Originally Posted by unruin
I don't know if I agree with your statements. The first time I revved my car after the install (valves closed) I thought it was really loud and that they valves were open. It's still a C63 with headers and an exhaust so most won't consider it quiet by any means. Interestingly enough, the cabin does a great job at blocking the sound of the exhaust.

With the valves open, it's another beast. It's VERY loud. I'll be the first to admit that I'm a very picky individual but I absolutely love the sound. I wouldn't change a thing about it.
different strokes i guess. i prefer throatiness and rumble over loud and rasp. the sound in the video is one i've heard and it sounds like an s65 m3 with valves closed, and unlike an AMG with valves open, IMO.

Last edited by dcho; 05-05-2015 at 11:06 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:43 AM

C63
I'm running MHP ECU, LT Headers (Gen II) with X pipe, CF Ram Air Inlets and 180F thermostat and making 501rwhp & 465rwtq SAE on 93 octane. Tons of videos on this site and youtube of their LTs.

You can see a ECU, Header & X and Thermostat C63 vs two exotics on MBW here:

https://mbworld.org/articles/lamborg...ft-behind-c63/

https://mbworld.org/articles/can-6-2...eat-drag-race/

Love the exhaust note and the performance.