C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

stock tune + headers back exhaust?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2015, 11:14 PM

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s edition 1
stock tune + headers back exhaust?

Would I be able to run the stock tune for my 2011 car with performance package (not sure if tune is different than non) with a full headers back IPE exhaust and k&n? Long story short, I'm looking to go back to stock until I order the eurocharged tune but I'm not sure if I can. I'd think I could get away with it with just a catback or something but probably not with headers? A few things makes me think it might be a problem just due to more airflow but it also might set off codes depending on if it has 02 sensors and such.
Old 07-08-2015, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 846 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
You'll likely get the CEL for no cats. Also, the car might run a little funny especially if you get on it. Will it get down the road though? Yeah. Will it be damaging anything? Probably not as long as you drive conservatively.

Your wording got a little confusing. But I assume you are tuned right now, do not have headers, and are wondering if you can put headers on and go back to the stock MAP.

If I were you, I'd just do headers and tune all at once if you're going to do it.
Old 07-08-2015, 01:09 AM

2018 e63s edition 1
Yup, sorry, my car already has a tune on it and the full headers to tips IPE exhaust. I have no idea who tuned the car and I'm having a bunch of weird little issues that I'm wondering if it's due to the tune. I'd like to go back to stock until I can get a eurocharged v5 tune if possible, and also to see if the little weird issues go away when it's stock map.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Originally Posted by ShaneN.
Yup, sorry, my car already has a tune on it and the full headers to tips IPE exhaust. I have no idea who tuned the car and I'm having a bunch of weird little issues that I'm wondering if it's due to the tune. I'd like to go back to stock until I can get a eurocharged v5 tune if possible, and also to see if the little weird issues go away when it's stock map.
Those weird little issues are being caused by the car not being tuned for headers. Kind of like I said previously with my assumptions.

You're going to need more than the v5. When you call eurocharged, tell them that you already have headers back on your car and need a tune for that. I'm pretty sure they have a few options for you. However, your best option is to have the car tuned on via dyno or remotely if you don't have any companies near by. (Remote tunes are actually kind of cool)

Anyway, just don't drive the car too hard right now until you have the tuning issues sorted. You can go back to stock, but I doubt the little "weird" things go away until it is properly tuned.
Old 07-08-2015, 11:25 PM

2018 e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
Those weird little issues are being caused by the car not being tuned for headers. Kind of like I said previously with my assumptions.

You're going to need more than the v5. When you call eurocharged, tell them that you already have headers back on your car and need a tune for that. I'm pretty sure they have a few options for you. However, your best option is to have the car tuned on via dyno or remotely if you don't have any companies near by. (Remote tunes are actually kind of cool)

Anyway, just don't drive the car too hard right now until you have the tuning issues sorted. You can go back to stock, but I doubt the little "weird" things go away until it is properly tuned.
Thanks for the reply, it's knowledge from people like you that I need to make some decisions. The car IS tuned now. The previous owner has had the car tuned for 10 months without issues, I all of a sudden AM having issues. But again, the car has been tuned and with headers for the greater part of a year. I just don't know the tuner and don't trust whats done to it. The issues go from abs, traction being inoperative, to power steering cutting out, to throttle being brought on when i'm totally off the gas. I'm not sure if a tune will fix but I know I want to start with a tune I can trust.

On a related note, do I absolutely have to be on a stock tune for eurocharged to send me a tune to load? If I can't find this local tuner then I have no way of being on a stock tune without being the stealership to load one on which they claim takes 8 hours and will be quite expensive I'd assume. Then getting back to what you were saying, after getting eurocharged to send me something for my mods, would I just be datalogging for them to tweak what they've sent or how would the remote tuning and/or dyno tuning work? I wouldn't trust anyone local to do much to the car unless all we need the dyno for is a/f numbers.

In short, my problem is being tuned without having the stock file available and wanting to get a eurocharged tune - and not know how to go about it all. I called eurocharged to ask some questions and got a "parts guy" but he said to me they can't tune the car unless it's got the stock tune on it.
Old 07-09-2015, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
I'd send EC a private message or call again and talk to someone who knows what they are talking about. I have a feeling the parts guy was just saying things..
Old 07-13-2015, 11:24 PM

2018 e63s edition 1
I've messaged and emailed them, no reply either time. I just had my car re-tuned in the meantime and same issues are coming up but I think I'm closing in on it which leaves me to the thread I'm about to create looking for help...

edit: https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ml#post6495806

Last edited by ShaneN.; 07-13-2015 at 11:54 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 12:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63S | X5
Call them. They picked up for me today after two rings. Sounds like a handful of electrical gremlins.

CELs?
Old 07-14-2015, 12:34 AM

2018 e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by PurpleHeartAMG
Call them. They picked up for me today after two rings. Sounds like a handful of electrical gremlins.

CELs?

Calling them is what got me to the "parts guy".

I feel like most can possible be contributed to the wheel speed except the power steering shutting out. They all return to normal when car is restarted, for a while. This is all and everything I'm seeing dash related:

Old 07-14-2015, 01:44 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Range Rover Sport, 2012 C63 Coupe P31
I have the full IPE exhaust and ran my car without a tune for a day or so. I experienced a CEL and moderate jerking/stuttering but no dash warnings like what you are seeing. With that being said, I don't recommend driving the car without it being tuned.

My guess would be the issues are unrelated.

I would approach the problem from the other end of things. Search for the error messages.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...-steergin.html
Old 07-14-2015, 03:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 Ram 2500 Limited 2013 Harley CVO Road Glide
Good luck getting it sorted Shane..
I'll be down in a few weeks with luck to get my MHP headers installed. PM me if you want, found a shop that claims to be quite familiar with EC tunes etc, maybe they can help?
G.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:33 PM

2018 e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by GRam
Good luck getting it sorted Shane..
I'll be down in a few weeks with luck to get my MHP headers installed. PM me if you want, found a shop that claims to be quite familiar with EC tunes etc, maybe they can help?
G.

Which shop is that? If nothing else, I'd be down for a cruise.