C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

ANYONE HAVE PROBLEMS WITH HEADERS? Inspection?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 AMG, 2013 CLS63 SAMG, FORD F350, BMW 750LI
ANYONE HAVE PROBLEMS WITH HEADERS? Inspection?

So I made up my mind and got headers with mid pipes which will delete my cats.

For those of you who have headers and mid pipes anyone experience any problems down the road?

Also I read a few posts about there being a smell from the removal of cats.
Is there a way to fix the smell?

I live in upstate NY, for those who live in NY anyone have trouble passing state inspection or anything? If you have trouble how did you fix it? I know in NY you're allowed to have 1 monitor fail but the other 6 must be good.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 C63 AMG, 2015 Toyota Tundra TRD PRO
I've had headers for a year now with mid pipes, and so far I have not experienced any problems other than my neighbors complaining about the noise. Which is why I got valvetronics to silence the crazy morning cold starts and still keep it loud when I want it to.

Your right about there being a smell from the cat delete.. I dont think that can be helped because cats are filters and once you remove that your car will have that smell. I havent found a solution for that yet and the smell you'll eventually get used to it lol but at first it is a pretty awful smell. and I live on Long Island so I know your inspection issue. I'm actually going through the same problem myself right now.

My inspection was up end of july and I went in for inspection and i failed because 3 monitors weren't ready

Monitor Catalyst NOT READY
Monitor O2 NOT READY
Monitor Heated O2 NOT READY

So now I'm also trying to find a solution to try and pass inspection. If I find a way I will let you know. Good luck with your headers and mid pipes u'll love em they're loud.. like obnoxious loud.
Old 08-06-2015, 03:55 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
10 C63, 06 S65, 14 ML350, 95 S500
Ive had my headers & cat deletes done about 4-5 months ago and drove some 2k miles on it. No issues!
Old 08-06-2015, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Anything W/4Wheels
Heres how it works for me.
My ginues tool with 93 oct tune from OE.
all 4 02 sensors new every year.
odb2 bluetooth wireless $8-10 on amazon and torque app $3.99. this will let you known if the monitor are ready oe not before you go fail your inspection.
what i do is clear any code if there's any with AutoEnginuity program.
flash it with My genius tool with same file that on this is just to reset adaptation on ecu .
plug in the odb2 reader and opep app on phone and start driving till monitor set. once they set 60-70 miles of mix driving go get inspected rite away to someone you know of course bc you will always get 1 not ready . thats for no cats but everything else will set.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
None for now
In California, the only monitor you can have not ready is the EVAP monitor. Does that mean that you can't run headers in CA? Most "not-ready" monitors I've seen with headers are one O2 sensor
Old 08-07-2015, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts
Steel Grey Metallic C63!!
Originally Posted by mthis
Heres how it works for me.
My ginues tool with 93 oct tune from OE.
all 4 02 sensors new every year.
odb2 bluetooth wireless $8-10 on amazon and torque app $3.99. this will let you known if the monitor are ready oe not before you go fail your inspection.
what i do is clear any code if there's any with AutoEnginuity program.
flash it with My genius tool with same file that on this is just to reset adaptation on ecu .
plug in the odb2 reader and opep app on phone and start driving till monitor set. once they set 60-70 miles of mix driving go get inspected rite away to someone you know of course bc you will always get 1 not ready . thats for no cats but everything else will set.
I just passed my NYS emissions testing with my ARH/MHP Lt header setup last month. I disabled the rear o2s with ecu tune and got 1 not ready for the rear O2s (both rear o2s count as 1 not ready). My front o2s and heaters were indicating ready. I passed with 1 not ready. I also have 200 cel cats to deal with the raw exhaust smell.

I hope this answers your questions.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 847 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Where in NY? I'm over in Rochester.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 C63
Most tunes disable readiness monitors which is what failed me so I got a set of cat pipes from ARH and then flashed back to stock then passed with flying colors
Old 08-07-2015, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 847 Likes on 594 Posts
E63S | X5
Originally Posted by Djmouz63
Most tunes disable readiness monitors which is what failed me so I got a set of cat pipes from ARH and then flashed back to stock then passed with flying colors
Eurocharged's new tunes wont disable them unless you ask them to. The header tune might, however, you can ask them to leave the monitors alone. Just disable the rear o2's and the car will pass.