Sponsored by:

Headlight & Foglight Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 01:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2018 GLS 550
Headlight & Foglight Question

First off, let me give a big shout-out to Michael at AZNOPTICS. He was extremely patient in answering all my questions, and I asked a lot! Bought new 5000K D1S, LED Fogs, and LED replacements for license plates, reverse, and eyebrows.

I just got home last night, and put in everything new except the fogs, which will be later today. I have sent him the questions as well, but figured there are a lot of gurus on here that might also have some other ideas.

For the headlights, I put the new ones in, and all the connections are snug, but I noticed last night and this morning that on occasion one of them will not fire (no rhyme or reason on which one) or if they both turn on, occasionally one will flicker for a few seconds before stabilizing. Any ideas on what this could be? Only thing I can think is adding some di-electric grease to the connectors but not sure if that's even worth the effort.

As for the Fogs, they came with the resistor ballasts, and curious for those with HID's, where did you mount the ballasts. It says not to mount them to plastic as they can get hot and melt it.

Anyways, that's all I got for now, any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-03-2015, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 388 Likes on 189 Posts
C63 AMG
LED's of any sort are not friendly with the W204's for some reason. I have tried many vendors and all of the LED's do the same thing you just mentioned.

I ended up throwing in the towl and went back to PIAA Super white regular 194 Bulbs.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:47 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
We're following up with Morimoto on the D1S HID bulb to see if they have any ideas short of seating. If you have a meter, you could check the current levels to make sure you're getting the right amount of power to the bulb.

And Kriston - I know you used our older V3 version back in 2013, but we've made fairly significant updates in our new V5 design that so far we have not heard any issues with. You are currently out of warranty, but we try to take care of our MBWorld customers so shoot me a PM and we can work something out.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:54 PM

2018 GLS 550
It just looks like something is missing. I've got a socket on one end of the resistor that shows "input" and a ground wire coming out the other end. If it's just splicing into the factory extender harness, that's fine but which wire is positive and negative? White or brown?
Old 09-03-2015, 07:33 PM

2018 GLS 550
Originally Posted by Kriston
LED's of any sort are not friendly with the W204's for some reason. I have tried many vendors and all of the LED's do the same thing you just mentioned.

I ended up throwing in the towl and went back to PIAA Super white regular 194 Bulbs.
The flickering was the HID not the LED. I did get the LED figured out though finally with some help from Michael. Now, it looks phenomenal from an aesthetic standpoint, but I'm not sure how light output will be. I'll get some good shots as the sun goes down and report back with findings once it gets dark out!

As far as the flickering, it seems to be getting better, so I'll give it a day or two and see if it persists.
Old 09-04-2015, 11:10 AM

09 C63 AMG
I'm definitely wanting to hear more and see pics of LEDs in the fogs/cornering. I hate my halogen in there.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:08 PM

2018 GLS 550
Well, so far I've got it partially working. The passenger fog is fine, but the drivers side is having an issue that I'm trying to work out. Not sure if it's a bad load resistor or just a poor connection, so I need to take it all apart again and recheck everything. Fortunately the drivers side is the easier of the two to get to!